excel motorhomes

Poppy

Guest JudgeMental

never heard of them. have you a link?

I prefer to stick with the main German manafacturers.......with a proven track record, economy's of scale, reliable warranty etc..... *-)

just had a look, they are a new company owned by Aurotrail. Its on a Fiat. so I would wait till evidence of the new gearbox is on production models before going anywhere near one....But with the terrible attitude of Fiat toward their customers I don't think I would ever buy one.

The 600B is strictly a 2 person vehicle as no rear passenger seating...dont you think its a bit limiting in usability/resale?

We have a Cheyenne 660 and the build quality of Autotrail vans is as good if not better than any vans around, including the Germans! Well that's my opinion anyway!

The Excel range have a smaller payload than the equivalent Cheyenne range, so the internal dimensions are smaller, but from what I've seen they are more than capable of coping with your needs. Presumably you've spotted that they are a two person tourer and the rear seat belt issue isn't a problem.

From what I have seen, build quality is good and looks equal to the main Autotrail products.

Good aerodynamics and looks.

Points worth checking.

Scarcity of 13A sockets (only one in each models I have seen)

No. of travel seats v berths

Payload as they all appear to be on the 3300kg chassis. (Not sure about the new 670)

The blue cab paint option looks smart, but personnaly I was not impressed with the upholsery associated with this option pack, much prefer the standard upholsery.

Practical Motorhome mag did a live in test earlier this year.

Guest JudgeMental

noticed after I posted that the 600 B can be spec'd with L shaped seat I thing giving 4 forward seats with belts. This may spoil the open feel of the two sofas...I'm not sure.

I don't get the 3300kg either, probably a lot cheaper chassis........ I would prefer a 3500. But I like that it is all GRP

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2009-10-09 1:17 PM

Thanks all.Will bear in mind the comments especially about the cheap chassis.

Have a look at the Adria Compact SL. can be had on 3300 or 3500 chassis. twin single beds (or a massive double) and a garage. its on my list to have a look at. Once fiat sort out the gearbox debacle....... *-)

Do a pretend 'live in' yourself before you take the plunge, when we've looked round them we've noticed:

1) the storage it on the tight side in the kitchen area as is the worktop space

2) the sink is an odd shape so if you like to use a bowl you'll be stuffed

3) the hob is also quite small so although it's got 3 burners, you can only really use quite small pans on them all at the same time - no good at all for my nice medium sized frying pan!

4) from memory I think the water tanks are quite small

5) the toilet is extremely tight on space when the door is closed - try sitting on it and 'pretending'!

6) to lift the bed up to get at the storage underneath is fairly easy ... until there's bedding on it! Then it will be more tricky as you will have to untuck and fold back the sheets, duvet etc at the end as approx the last 10 inches of the mattress is separate so that the bed can clear the overhanging wardrobe above. I'd certainly want to try doing it with bedding on if intending to access this space fairly often.

7) for what they are they are still a bit pricey when compared to other manufacturer's offerings in standard trim.

They are a nice van though, and have a very pleasant layout for a couple, you just have to be sure you can live with their foibles.

Here's a link for anyone who's interested.

http://www.excelmotorhomes.co.uk/product_600-B_b.htm

Realized about the kitchen from pics! Didn't about the bed though!!!!!! Might be the turn off.I personally think the van that would suit us would be the Hymer 508.Husband wants to try English if poss.Judge, the trouble with van type layouts (although I still have to look at the Adria, I am assuming that thats what it is) is the severeley (sp) compromized lounge. Going to the NEC next weekend.

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2009-10-10 10:26 AM

Realized about the kitchen from pics! Didn't about the bed though!!!!!! Might be the turn off.I personally think the van that would suit us would be the Hymer 508.Husband wants to try English if poss.Judge, the trouble with van type layouts (although I still have to look at the Adria, I am assuming that thats what it is) is the severeley (sp) compromized lounge. Going to the NEC next weekend.

Seeing as you have a van and the excel is kinda a van......The 508 is a different proposition being an A class. Yes its all about compromise, but longitudinal single beds in a van 6.6 m long. 100 litre fridge 120 liter fresh water.garage. 3500kg chassis. you can always lounge/read or watch telly on the beds as well.

best to visit the show, have a look at everything and report back :-D

Before ordering our 670B we checked the stove top it will take our normal frying pan, no problem with three burners, the only downside is that they are all gas as we have been used to one 240v, plus three gas. Masses of storage space for food etc in kitchen area, a big plus is the big Fridge plus seperate freezer. As for the fixed bed it is very accesable from outside.

All in all it much better than some on the market. After all its horses for couses, we dont want a gin palace but something thats functional and easy to live with and in.

David

• 2 weeks later...
Set my stall out to go to the Lincoln show to view 670b, very dissapointed with the overall finish, seems to be a budget autorail, bathroom unuseable, but the price was right .Upon the last day of the show decisions needed to be made, final looksee to make our mind on 670b, compromises to be made , we thought.Upon passing the Lowdham site saw Dethleffs van, walked in, fell for it straight away, 7.33 mtrs, island bed , garage, ex demo 900 mls this was the one signed and sealed. :D

David Dwight - 2009-10-21 8:23 PM

Poppy

You obviously think like us. What one person likes someone else will not like, thats why we are all different. If its what you want go for it. Thats what we do.

You haven't read letter on p13 of this months MMM then?

Archived