New MH's with no spare wheel

tonyfletcher

Hi,

This arrangement has been the norm for some manufacturers for some time now.

Do these sealants work? and is it true that once you have used the sealant the tyre is ruined and a replacement will be required?

Do I worry over nothing? how long would it take top get repaired if the tyre would not seal and a breakadown service was required in say France for instance?

I welcome any of your thoughts

Cheers

Tony

Hi

Just to add to your problems in Spain it is a legal requirement to carry a spare wheel many don't including me, chances of getting caught are small but if you were waiting for a Grua (breakdown truck) and Garda asked why you did not change the wheel ? 150euro fine I would think.

Tony if you try the forum's search function you should find a lot of info. I recall this subject was done pretty much to death in early to mid 2007, about the time I was researching my first motorhome purchase. I found it very enlightening, with lots of points made for and against spare wheels, plus comments on Tyron bands and the various types of after-market sealants.

After much consideration, I plumped for a van with a spare.

Bob

Once you use that gunk they supply the tyre is ruined so I'm told. We bought new a spare from Fiat just over £100 I think and stow it in the low part of the rear storage area. I though of putting it underneath and then thought about getting it out on a cold and wet night and couldn't face the prospect. You might be able to get one on Fleabay as a lot of people change their wheels for alloys and sell the old ones on. But when I wanted mine there weren't any. :-(

Clive - 2009-10-09 2:05 PM

Anyone purchasing a new motorhome is well advised (after all the haggling has taken place) to demand that a proper size spare wheel and mounting cradle is supplied as part of the deal.

C.

And a jack suitable for the fully loaded weight of the vehicle.

Hi,

We had this on my wife's KIA Picanto. Tyres were down to 3mm, and it started to snow ........

The tyre bay found an old but apparently suitable wheel in their scrap pile. Said it was from a Vauxhall. Fitter charged £2 for the wheel, and fitted one of her old tyres for free. There was room under the floor once we removed the plastic foam padding, and she still has the can of stuffy stuff. That spare is now sitting in her second Picanto, and we hope she never needs it.

Can you fit a steel spare if you get a punture in an alloy wheel? Will the nuts fit both?

It is odds on that a mobile deflation ruins the tyre. Most van tyres (or one that will get you mobile) are readily avilable almost anywhere but even a minor disagreement with a roadside rock will also wreck the rim. Do that without a spare somewhere remote late on Friday and it may well be the middle of next week before you are mobile.

Anyone purchasing a new motorhome is well advised (after all the haggling has taken place) to demand that a proper size spare wheel and mounting cradle is supplied as part of the deal.

C.

I couldn't agree more if I didn't get a spare wheel GRATIS I wouldn't buy the vehicle be it a car or a Motorhome. >:-) >:-)

C.

I couldn't agree more if I didn't get a spare wheel GRATIS I wouldn't buy the vehicle be it a car or a Motorhome. >:-) >:-)

I had a shock when I purchased my Burstner spent over 1 hour looking for the spare only to discover there aint one.

Purchased a new wheel from Pug cheaper than Fiat with tyre cost me over £150 then I start to look into my weight and found I was well over so spare had to go weighs something like 35kilo.For sale 15" wheel and tyre if interested, located Maidstone Kent.

Hi,

The really worrying thing here is the maker probably omitted the spare wheel to create more payload as there isn't sufficient? I'd avoid any van that didn't have a spare and insist on having one as part of the purchase and if the payload was suspect an upgrade to 3850kg as well.

Bill Ord

Had my van from new for 18 months, done nearly 17,000 miles all over Europe. It came with no spare, do I care no, what is the point of worrying about it, just get tyres filled with a sealant, will not affect tyres at all. Sure I would rather have a spare but I do not and no room to fit one. Check with your rescue people but most will attend for a puncture if your van is not fitted with a spare as standard and you are carrying the emergency kit. Do not bother about it.

But do you care about a 150 euro fine as well ??

I think the vehicle suppliers should be passed the fine, as they are supplying vehicles that are not legal.

ALL vehicles should come with a 'matching' 5th wheel spare properly stowed. and included in the vehicles unladen weight. 'Matching' means not a dinky tyre wheel which would be illegal if towed with, or heavily laden (like a motorhome). I won't consider any new vehicle that doesn't come equipped thus. Space-Saver my Axx ! cost saver more like ! Ray :D

Yes this subject has been extensively covered previously.

1 What if you can`t physically change the wheel through disability

2 What if you have a puncture on the offside on a busy single carriageweay road with traffic going by inches from your back at 60mph + oh and yes of course it`s raining stair rods

Mine came without a spare so I have Tyron bands fitted to get me safely (albeit slowly) to someone who can repair or replace the tyre.

Roy Fuller

An increasing number of cars nowadays are being fitted as standard with 'run-flat' tyres and have no spare wheel and no dedicated internal or external storage space to carry one. Presumably such vehicles, when marketed in Spain, are provided with some sort of 'wheel-in-a-bag kit' as offered on Maseratis. It's often the case too that, where wider 'sports' wheels/tyres are an option, the storage space assigned for the standard wheel/tyre combination will be too small and there's no real choice then but to have a skinny 'emergency-only' spare wheel. This is, of course, academic for motorhomes as (to the best of my knowledge) there are no run-flat tyres or emergency-only spare wheels suitable for such vehicles - you either have a full size spare or none at all.

If you need a tyre-related 'repair' (ie. a new tyre or a new tyre-valve) in France on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday, then you'll probably have to wait until at least Monday for the work to be done. And, if your motorhome's tyres are an unusual make, size, or type, you may well have a major problem obtaining an exact replacement.

I've had two cars where the main road-wheels were alloy and the spare wheel was steel. In both cases the same wheel-bolts were used for both types of wheel. However, if your vehicle has non-original wheels that demand special nuts/bolts, then you'll need different nuts/bolts in order to fit an original spare wheel. (I believe I remember reading in Motorhome Monthly that the Editors' Frankia had been retro-fitted with non-Fiat alloy wheels requiring special bolts.)

Incidentally, I was unaware that Spain required vehicles to carry a spare wheel and, on GOOGLE-ing around, came across this website that may be useful for people intending to travel abroad.

http://www.euroadlegal.com/

W3526602 - 2009-10-09 4:32 PM

Hi,

We had this on my wife's KIA Picanto. Tyres were down to 3mm, and it started to snow ........

The tyre bay found an old but apparently suitable wheel in their scrap pile. Said it was from a Vauxhall. Fitter charged £2 for the wheel, and fitted one of her old tyres for free. There was room under the floor once we removed the plastic foam padding, and she still has the can of stuffy stuff. That spare is now sitting in her second Picanto, and we hope she never needs it.

Can you fit a steel spare if you get a punture in an alloy wheel? Will the nuts fit both?

Usually nuts/studs for alloys won't be any good for steel wheels. So find out before you try it.

little-jack - 2009-10-10 7:31 PM

Is it correct that on Ford conversions with twin rear wheels (on the same axle) that the rear wheels/ tyres are a different size to the front ones? ...

No, Ford Transits with 'twinned-wheel' rear axles have the same size wheels/tyres for front and rear axles. As far as I'm aware that's also true for twinned-wheel rear-axle chassis from Mercedes and Iveco.

Archived