mirrors

tamworthkamper

Hi we have a new Transit nexo low profile .I was wondering if there was an extention arm available as how ever i adjust the drivers mirror you cann t see behind you and as it has no rear window your left to wonder especially on junction with a hill start.On the road you can solve this by slight movement and check the passenger mirror. I m sure this could be solved by adding alonger arm. I remember years ago my father had arm on his wing mirrors for towing a caravan which seemed to work. any advise

Ford Transit mirror-assemblies are available with different lengths of 'arm'. If the Transit vehicle is (say) a panel-van, where the cab's sides continue straight into the rear bodywork, then mirrors with the shortest 'arm' will be OK. If the vehicle is a motorhome, where the rear bodywork is significantly wider than the cab, then a longer 'arm' will be needed.

My Transit-based Hobby's width is 2.29m and the width of a Burstner Nexxo is only slightly more. Although my motorhome is built on a Mk 5 Transit and yours is on a Mk 6, I think the mirror-assembly design and position on the cab are the same. I'm fairly sure my Hobby's mirrors have the longest 'arms' Ford offer and I don't have any problems obtaining adequate views down each side of the vehicle. Although the Hobby has a window in the rear body-panel, it's too high to be any use while driving. For seeing directly behind the motorhome I have a rear-view camera.

(My motorhome is LHD, but I don't believe that should be significant in this instance. I don't know if a RHD Transit can be wrongly fitted with LHD-suitable mirror-assemblies (or vice versa) and still get any sort of usable rear views, but I somehow doubt it.)

The photos in MMM's April 2009 report of a Nexxo Family A694 suggest that the test vehicle had the same mirror-assemblies as mine. I've measured my mirrors and (on the rearwards-facing mirror side) the distance from the hinge-line to the mirror-assembly's outer edge is approximately 32 centimetres. It's possible that your motorhome has been fitted with mirrors with shorter 'arms' and you may be able to decide if that's the case by studying the MMM photos or by comparing your mirrors' measurements with mine. It might also be worth you speaking to a Ford dealership to see if a 'super long' arm can be obtained.

If it turns out that you can't get Transit mirrors that extend further than your present ones, you'll either have to lash-up a 'caravanning' mirror arrangement (not too difficult I would have thought, though the result is unlikely to be pretty) or install a camera system to provide the views that you feel you need.

Junctions pose potential problems for wide vehicles with restricted visibility to the side, and angled junctions can be very challenging unless there's a trustworthy passenger to tell the driver if it's safe to proceed. If I'm driving the motorhome on my own, at angled junctions I take a very hard and careful look for approaching traffic, then offer up a short prayer before moving off. Unless you've got side-looking mirrors or cameras that's all one can do.

As I spend a lot of time each year on the Continent you have to be able to see along the road you are joining at junctions. I therefore buy a good quality door mirror assembly and attach this to the inside door pillar so that from the drivers seat you can select an angle that gives a commanding view of the road. I set mine so that the height above the dash is enough to insert a hand for window cleaning. Also make sure that the mirrow is a large one and only slightly convex or flat.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-10-10 8:37 AM

Junctions pose potential problems for wide vehicles with restricted visibility to the side, and angled junctions can be very challenging unless there's a trustworthy passenger to tell the driver if it's safe to proceed. If I'm driving the motorhome on my own, at angled junctions I take a very hard and careful look for approaching traffic, then offer up a short prayer before moving off. Unless you've got side-looking mirrors or cameras that's all one can do.

Along same lines as alec, I have a second interior rearview mirror that is placed next to 'normal' one and angled to see out passenger side window.

• 1 month later...

You probably have the wrong mirror fitted from the factory. I had this problem on my last van (Elddis Autoquest). It turned out to be a LHD drivers mirror fitted to the nearside of my RHD van.

The quickest way to find out is to take it to the dealership and compare like for like with another van or vans. This problem is more common than you would think.

Mine was sorted out but I had to travel to the Lake District because it was missed on the Pre Delivery Inspection and the Peugeot dealer was at fault, not the motorhome dealer.

I realise that this is an old thread but I have to get over my point that this fault is not unusual.

Hi spospe,

As I indicated in my original message, I believe that this can happen frequently in the Sevel factory, particularly in RHD m/homes for the British market.

Every single item in a new build is computerised and if there is an error then this will be repeated until there is a re-programming of the parts issue from their stores. The Peugeot workshop manager who sorted my Elddis said that there are a lot of different variations of wing mirror setups and that is why he needed to see my van before ordering the parts.

In the case of tamworthkamper, he has a Transit based van which was built elsewhere and this is a bit worrying.

Incidentally, my Burstner 747-2 is not perfect for nearside rear vision but usable. As it is a 2003 model, I doubt if I could get anything done about it now.

My best advice for anyone who is not sure about the mirrors, is to line their van up with identical ones and compare mirrors. As you rightly say, getting remedial work done can be a struggle.

While all you mirror experts are in one place, you might be able to help one of my queries.

Our Bessecarr had an interior rear view mirror when we got it, however with it having no rear window, the mirror didn't seem to serve any purpose so I removed it.

I'm guessing that it was a standard fit when the cab was built and prior to deciding which body style was going to be added.

Anyone know for definite ?

(Tamworthkamper - Hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread)

Blizzard - 2009-11-18 6:31 PM

I'm guessing that it was a standard fit when the cab was built and prior to deciding which body style was going to be added.

I'm sure you are right. If you look at MMM reports of non-A-Class motorhomes, they all seem to have interior rear-view mirrors irrespective of whether the vehicle has a window in its rear wall. I'd like to take my Hobby's mirror off as it's pretty much useless and gets in the way of the blinds, but it's seriously glued to the windscreen so there it will stay.

Guest Tracker
Blizzard - 2009-11-18 6:31 PM

I'd like to take my Hobby's mirror off as it's pretty much useless and gets in the way of the blinds, but it's seriously glued to the windscreen so there it will stay.

Assuming you have a Sevel made van the mirror should just slide upwardly off the mounting as it is the mounting pad that is seriously stuck to the windscreen not the mirror but it might need a sharp upwardly knock to release it first?

Derek Uzzell - 2009-11-18 7:02 PM

I'd like to take my Hobby's mirror off as it's pretty much useless and gets in the way of the blinds, but it's seriously glued to the windscreen so there it will stay.

Derek,

Same as already advised by others, mine took a sharp tap upwards and the arm and mirror came straight off, leaving the fitting attached to the screen, should I ever wish to reattach it.

My blinds close perfectly now.

Archived