TV Licence for 'fulltimers'

Losos

In a word, yes :-)

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

Above is a quote taken from http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

Graham

GJH - 2009-10-10 6:48 PM

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

I can't find anything on that site about people with no fixed abode.

We spend up to three months per year in the UK in our motorhome, we don't have a licence. It would be impossible to buy one as we don't have an address to put on the application form!!

There is a section on second homes, but that wouldn't apply.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/secondhome.jsp

derek500 - 2009-10-10 7:37 PM

We spend up to three months per year in the UK in our motorhome, we don't have a licence. It would be impossible to buy one as we don't have an address to put on the application form!!

There doesn't have to be anything on there about no fixed abode. As it says on the web site "You must be covered by a valid TV Licence......."

How could it be impossible to buy one? Wouldn't the same correspondence address used for vehicle insurance and tax suffice?

Graham

derek500 - 2009-10-10 7:37 PM

I should think that you can't find anything on the site about people with no fixed abode because that is not relevant.

It's got nothing at all to do with where you live.

In the terms and conditions of a TV licence, printed on the back of a licence payment slip, it says:

" A licence is needed to use any TV equipment such as a TV set, digital box, video or DVD recorder, computer or mobile phone to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on television"

It also adds that the licence allows installation and use of TV equipment

" --- in a vehicle, boat or caravan " (etc)

Looks like there's just no way around it !

:-(

derek500 - 2009-10-11 9:14 AM

So people like myself who live abroad must have a TV licence to turn our TVs on when we're in the UK?

Yes.

People living abroad who use hotels or stay with friends when in the UK are covered by their licences. Those who stay in premises which are not covered by an existing license are responsible for paying for their own licence.

It's the same sort of situation as that which applies to students who live away from the family home for part of the year.

Graham

derek500 - 2009-10-11 9:38 AM

So when for example a German motorhomer comes over for a fortnight, where does he buy his TV license, so he can put up his dish to watch German TV!!

Good question for the TV Licensing Authourity.

I doubt if anyone on here knows about the rules covering foreign people watching foreign television, on TVs bought in a foreign country, from a field in the UK.

;-)

derek500 - 2009-10-11 9:38 AM

So when for example a German motorhomer comes over for a fortnight, where does he buy his TV license, so he can put up his dish to watch German TV!!

He may not do so and he may, of course, be ignorant of the need to buy a licence. As with everything else, though, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Graham

GJH - 2009-10-11 12:58 PMHe may not do so and he may, of course, be ignorant of the need to buy a licence. As with everything else, though, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Graham

I'm sorry Graham, but you're being totally OTT with upholding the law in this case.

How on earth would they detect or enforce the law? Detector vans cross reference TVs with addresses. If a motorhome was parked in a camp site how would they know which address to cross reference with?

And if they're foreign would they just issue a summons on the spot because they know by a process of deduction they wouldn't have a license.

derek500 - 2009-10-11 12:15 PM

GJH - 2009-10-11 12:58 PMHe may not do so and he may, of course, be ignorant of the need to buy a licence. As with everything else, though, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Graham

I'm sorry Graham, but you're being totally OTT with upholding the law in this case.

How on earth would they detect or enforce the law? Detector vans cross reference TVs with addresses. If a motorhome was parked in a camp site how would they know which address to cross reference with?

And if they're foreign would they just issue a summons on the spot because they know by a process of deduction they wouldn't have a license.

OTT Derek? As far as I can see I've simply answered direct questions with facts. I can't see anything in any of my posts which mentions TVL detecting/enforcing the law, that would obviously be well nigh impossible.

What isn't impossible is self regulation though. Is conscious evasion of payment acceptable just because somebody lives in a motorhome rather than a static building?

Graham

When did anyone last see a 'detector van' ?? For me it was sometime back in the early 80's. i don't think such a thing now exists ( whats that, a knock at the door- quick turn the telly off !!) They are relying on 'It's all in the Data-base' 'cause if you are NOT on the data-base what then ??

That's why governments HATE full-timers they can't 'Nail them down' to a static address. All the more reason for us all to go 'Full Timing' and screw them up (what ME ! an anarchist ! never !) I just hate being 'Watched' all the time. Ray :D :D

njw - 2009-10-11 3:00 PM

what about gypses and travellers i bet they don,t have a licence

Possibly not, but if they don't it doesn't mean that they are in the right and it doesn't mean that anyone using that as a reason for not having one themselves would be in the right either.

Graham

I wonder what happens when we go to other European countries and put our TVs on? Are we breaking the laws there? Most countries have a TV Licence - here in Spain it was abolished a few years ago. :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

I'm not condoning non payment, but if I was fulltiming, without a permanent address and spending many months outside the UK, I don't think I'd get one.

derek500 - 2009-10-11 4:24 PM

I'm not condoning non payment, but if I was fulltiming, without a permanent address and spending many months outside the UK, I don't think I'd get one.

Interesting position Derek.

What you are actually saying is that you know you should pay for a licence in those circumstances but you think you would deliberately not do so.

Logically, isn't that the same sort of decision taken by someone who shoplifts? They take the goods knowing they should pay but deliberately do not do so.

I'm sure you would not condone shoplifting so why should purchasing a TV licence be any different?

Graham

Archived