TV Licence for 'fulltimers'

Losos

GJH - 2009-10-11 6:33 PM

Interesting position Derek.

What you are actually saying is that you know you should pay for a licence in those circumstances but you think you would deliberately not do so.

Logically, isn't that the same sort of decision taken by someone who shoplifts? They take the goods knowing they should pay but deliberately do not do so.

I'm sure you would not condone shoplifting so why should purchasing a TV licence be any different?

Graham

So the next time I come to the UK, December, I decide to buy a license for the three weeks I'm in the UK.

Where do I go to get it? What address would I put on the form? Do they even do temporary licences?

derek500 - 2009-10-13 8:14 AM

GJH - 2009-10-11 6:33 PM

Interesting position Derek.

What you are actually saying is that you know you should pay for a licence in those circumstances but you think you would deliberately not do so.

Logically, isn't that the same sort of decision taken by someone who shoplifts? They take the goods knowing they should pay but deliberately do not do so.

I'm sure you would not condone shoplifting so why should purchasing a TV licence be any different?

Graham

So the next time I come to the UK, December, I decide to buy a license for the three weeks I'm in the UK.

Where do I go to get it? What address would I put on the form? Do they even do temporary licences?

See http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/waystopay/paypointoutlet.jsp - "If you're buying a short term TV Licence"

GJH - 2009-10-13 9:26 AM

See http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/waystopay/paypointoutlet.jsp - "If you're buying a short term TV Licence"

Unfortunately, I'm not old enough to buy a short term licence!!

Can I buy a TV Licence for less than a year?

You can buy a TV Licence for less than a year if you're aged 74 and will turn 75 before your next TV Licence is due to expire.

derek500 - 2009-10-13 12:44 PM

GJH - 2009-10-13 9:26 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not old enough to buy a short term licence!!

Can I buy a TV Licence for less than a year?

You can buy a TV Licence for less than a year if you're aged 74 and will turn 75 before your next TV Licence is due to expire.

Have to buy a full one then and reclaim the unexpired bit like students do :-)

GJH - 2009-10-13 3:26 PM

I'd better put some postings on the French and Spanish Motorhome forums telling them that if they a television they need to buy a TV licence for a year and claim back nine months worth when they leave after a fortnight!!

derek500 - 2009-10-13 4:01 PM

GJH - 2009-10-13 3:26 PM

I'd better put some postings on the French and Spanish Motorhome forums telling them that if they a television they need to buy a TV licence for a year and claim back nine months worth when they leave after a fortnight!!

You would be wasting your time. Us brits are very law abiding, and laws are only effective with the consent of the people, who can choose to ignore it, and take the consequences. A very quick risk assessment of this situation suggests enforcement is unlikely and it is therefore a matter of conscience.

How the devil do you get those little emoticon thingys to stick? There should be one HERE

Those behind the enforcement of the BBC tax had the temerity to send a wingeing letter to me in error, when I had a perfectly valid TV licence, as always, sitting in my filing cabinet.

A series of FOI requests probing their policies and attitude ensured both contractor and puppet-master were inconvenienced in retaliation for their having unjustifiably inconvenienced me.

My understanding of their enforcement policy and tactics from their replies can be summarised as "anyone with an address and postcode but no licence on our records will be the easy target we go for".

Bob

Archived