Wifi

hymer1942

You could always use a dongle. I made the mistake of buying one mainly to use when touring abroad. I used it for less than 5 minutes in Germany and got charged about £25 extra on my monthly bill. Needless to say it now resides in a cupboard at home. And will be done away with a soon as the contract expires. A very expensive mistake.

Phil.

Guest Tracker
hymer1942 - 2009-10-11 1:48 PM

It must be me, but I dont find that funny.

Agreed - it must be you then - cos I found it very funny!

I've got one of these -

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=60&ProdID=379

which I use in weak signal conditions, it works very well, the only minor drawback is that it is highly directional and has to be moved to find the strongest signal. I use a hotspot finder to do this, if necessary, even though the dish has a built in signal strength detector.

Phil.

Hi, Download this from file hippo or similar ;Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector,

This is free from cisco systems, and not only does it show all wifi it can be used to trouble shot any connection problems that you may have, it also shows, what protection the hot spots have.

Pete

Guest JudgeMental

Its OK, Hymer owners can be a likle like Mercedes drivers....:-D

Actually I did TRY and search but got so confused I gave up*-) but have seen a small wi fi dish mentioned on here before.

Guest JudgeMental
hymer1942 - 2009-10-11 6:18 PM

Well thats me on both counts, Hymer on a Mercedes 416. No Judder

See! I'm always right......... but its a bit lonely *-)

Hymer, I have replied and it is sitting in my outbox. It may go when you next login or you'll get it when I get home on Tuesday. The campsite wifi does not allow outgoing emails so it may be stopping the reply. I bought it in Maplin about £50.

Phil.

I thought a hot spot WAS the best spot. Perhaps one gets better reception closer to the large scanner which is perhaps why Judge offered it in all his humourous wisdom..

Nothing wrong with dongles, just don't get into a contract. ANY contract!

JudgeMental - 2009-10-11 6:01 PM

Its OK, Hymer owners can be a likle like Mercedes drivers....:-D

Actually I did TRY and search but got so confused I gave up*-) but have seen a small wi fi dish mentioned on here before.

Come on Judge, don't tar all Hymer owners with the same brush.

I found it highly amusing.

Philman - 2009-10-11 7:50 PM

Hymer, I have replied and it is sitting in my outbox. It may go when you next login or you'll get it when I get home on Tuesday. The campsite wifi does not allow outgoing emails so it may be stopping the reply. I bought it in Maplin about £50.

Phil.

You can only send emails from an email client via the SMTP server of the network you are connected to. You just need to find out the ISP you are connected to & change the SMTP server settings in your mail client.

Alternatively you can set your PC up as a mail server, a good freeware mailserver is hMail, once configered set your SMTP server to localhost IP (127.0.0.1) you then never need to worry about what ISP you are connected to.

Forgot to mention you will need a domain name for it to work.

Hi Lenny, thanks for the info. I have stayed on at least 10 campsites in the past couple of months where wifi was available on site. My emails have always been sent with no problem. This is the first site I have been on where my emails do not get sent. Very strange.

Phil.

Archived