Help - rear Boxer light units

dream machine

I've been trying to remove the rear light units from my 2000 model Boxer van based Autosleeper High Top.

The manual & mechanics say just remove the 2 screws (which I've done) and the cluster just pulls away - well it doesn't !

It appears to be stuck on & try as I might using all my strength it will not pull off.

I don't want to prise it off with a 'crowbar' resulting in probable damage to lights or bodywork - so whats the solution ?

Advice welcome from other Boxer owners.

this was the reply I received from alf -

"The two screws are to be removed and the lens unit prised out from the bottom use a wide blade 3/4 of an inch or so put some felt or similar padding on the paint work ( plenty of masking tape on blade ) it may help to give lens unit a bit of a tap put a magazine ( MMM ) over lens and a bit of a tap with a block of wood when lens out you can unplug the connecter and clean lens and around the edge clean and polish paintwork around the opening as well

I've had 4 talbots and 4 boxers. "

I've not been able to try that yet & I would still value any other hints / advice on this rather infuriating little problem.

I have an 07 Citroen Relay - the last of the MK2 model which presumably has the same rear light cluster as yours.

I had to remove the light cluster when the 'van was a year old and it was quite hard to separate the soft padding between the plastic and van. It came away with a firm tug.

As your 'van is quite a bit older, I guess it's just stuck a bit more firmly!

I agree with Alf's suggestions. In theory once the screws are removed the lamp cluster should pull away from the van. I would try a thin blade between the two and gently prise the cluster off. You may need to renew the sponge-like padding between the lamp and body of the van as it may get damaged if it's hardened with age.

Hope you manage to sort it out.

Regards

John

Archived