Sat Nav for Motorhomes

tonyfletcher

RupertGS - 2009-10-12 7:05 PMI just knew that you couldn't resist wading in with another completely nonsensical jibe just because it's me!
Grow up Rupert, you're not that important except in your own mind, anyone who is so full of themselves to make such a sweeping statement about everyone else is just being pompous. Whoever had said it, I would still have said the same thing. We have had several different satnav systems so I do have experience of more than one, none of them are perfect, its a matter of finding one that suits the OP's needs best and asking for other peoples opinions/experience etc is a way of seeing the good, and the bad, about them so they can make their own mind up. :-S
My advice was to ignore subjective advice and read independent tests and I even gave him a link. That to me is very good advice!
Of course you'd agree that you were giving good advice, you'd hardly disagree with yourself would you! It doesn't mean that that is the ONLY thing he should do though. *-)

You are, without a doubt the most partisan and unfair person on this site. You don't like me and cannot stop yourself attacking me at every opportunity. I don't mind that as I can look after myself but I really do wish that your posts were based on logic and not on some gut reaction which causes you to open your mouth before your brain is fully in gear.

You know something Rupert, this is getting really, really boring and repetitive, time and time again you accuse others of this ... you really have a persecution complex don't you? That's such a shame, I feel sorry for you. Now, fair's fair and seeing as you've tried to have a little go at me, I shall try to reply in similar vein ... to match your pettyness I could say that at least I have a brain and it is in gear, but from some of your posts, it would appear that although you do have a brain, when you put it in gear unfortunately it is like a Fiat's reverse gear ... and gets a case of the judders. At least that is 'motorhome related'. :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a decision *-) Do I give a personal opinion on my choice of Satnav or do I stick my twopennyworth in to the other differences of opinion going on in this post (?)

Have not got the time or inclination for the argumentative route tonight so here is my opinion in relation to my satnav. I have an Alpine Blackbird, it can search by address, postcode or GPS Co-ordinates in either Decimal or Degree, minute, second formats. It can be programmed to guide as a Car, Bus, Pedestrian or Emergency Vehicle (?) Don't ask about the last one I have not got a clue :-D It will also provide 4 Route alternatives - Fastest, Shortest, Economical or Easy. In the Motorhome I set to 'Bus' and use 'Easy' route to avoid it wanting to take me down minor roads.

I used it for the first time on my recent tour of Spain. It got me to every campsite (the front gate) even though the majority were in rural locations. So I was very pleased with it.

Prior to this I used a Garmin (Like the Judge) enjoyed the flexibility of taking the mapping on the PC and uploading new maps and POI's as appropriate. This too also got me to all my locations, mine did not have capability to plot GPS Co-ordinates though.

My advice, no matter how good the sat nav may be, always take a map as the sat nav after all is just a piece of technology that can go wrong without any advance warning. Great bits of kit but not infallable so do not become reliant on them.

Mel B - 2009-10-13 9:41 PM
RupertGS - 2009-10-12 7:05 PM I just knew that you couldn't resist wading in with another completely nonsensical jibe just because it's me!
Grow up Rupert, you're not that important except in your own mind, anyone who is so full of themselves to make such a sweeping statement about everyone else is just being pompous. Whoever had said it, I would still have said the same thing. We have had several different satnav systems so I do have experience of more than one, none of them are perfect, its a matter of finding one that suits the OP's needs best and asking for other peoples opinions/experience etc is a way of seeing the good, and the bad, about them so they can make their own mind up. :-S
My advice was to ignore subjective advice and read independent tests and I even gave him a link. That to me is very good advice!
Of course you'd agree that you were giving good advice, you'd hardly disagree with yourself would you! It doesn't mean that that is the ONLY thing he should do though. *-)

You are, without a doubt the most partisan and unfair person on this site. You don't like me and cannot stop yourself attacking me at every opportunity. I don't mind that as I can look after myself but I really do wish that your posts were based on logic and not on some gut reaction which causes you to open your mouth before your brain is fully in gear.

You know something Rupert, this is getting really, really boring and repetitive, time and time again you accuse others of this ... you really have a persecution complex don't you? That's such a shame, I feel sorry for you. Now, fair's fair and seeing as you've tried to have a little go at me, I shall try to reply in similar vein ... to match your pettyness I could say that at least I have a brain and it is in gear, but from some of your posts, it would appear that although you do have a brain, when you put it in gear unfortunately it is like a Fiat's reverse gear ... and gets a case of the judders. At least that is 'motorhome related'. :D

I'm sorry to have to say this, but your totally over the top reaction to what was intended as a helpful post, proves once again two things; that you are not too bright and unable or unwilling to read and understand my post properly and that your dislike of me completely overrides whatever little common sense you possess.

Read my post again, the gist of which is that the only way to decide on something like a sat nav, is to read independent tests. You may think that you are able to tell a member of this forum which sat nav to buy because you've owned two, both of which are probably now out of date, but I'm not that conceited and I certainly couldn't.

My other comment about some people (and I except that it's not all) justifying their own choice is a well known phenomenom to any psychologist and was not aimed at any individual, but was a general comment on a particular human condition.

My post was intended to be helpful and to convince the writer that the best way to buy a sat nav was to read independent reviews.

Your attack on me was unnecessary and illogical. Anyone with real intelligence would have understood what I was trying to say and I totally stand by it. It is only your dislike for me that prompted you to attack me in this way, a dislike that you prove every time you add even more vile bile as you've just done in your last post.

Please do me a favour Mel B, keep out of my posts and I'll keep out of yours. I'd rather debate with someone who has at least a spark of logic and an open mind.

Edited to say: I've just noticed that Handyman totally understood my post and what I was trying to say (see a couple of posts above) why the hell can't you?

Finally, may I point out that I didn't start this, I posted what was a sincere attempt to give good advice but once again a certain woman has to wade in and start a huge row!

hymer1942 - 2009-10-14 6:31 AM

Why do so many posts end up with one or two members trying to prove something, god knows what to the other. [ NET RESULT ] spoils it for all.

I actually think its great! The question has been more than answered, then you can sit back and read all the other stuff. Dont see the problem

I thought it was just beginning to get interesting. Who wants to know about satnavs anyway. Handbags at dawn is a lot more fun. :D (lol)

Yes, map updates are expensive, but if you only (or very nearly) use it in the UK, I wonder how worth while it is to pay for these updates, as 3 annual updates will cost nearly as much as a new tom tom. How many new roads or major traffic schemes get built in the uk in that time?

Guest JudgeMental
little-jack - 2009-10-14 3:40 PM

Yes, map updates are expensive, but if you only (or very nearly) use it in the UK, I wonder how worth while it is to pay for these updates, as 3 annual updates will cost nearly as much as a new tom tom. How many new roads or major traffic schemes get built in the uk in that time?

Garmin offer "updates for life" for £99. Up to 4 updates a year.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/numaps-lifetime

I think that like most things , you get what you pay for , and in some cases you dont get what you pay for .

I have had the opportunity to try several diffent makes and models of sat nav . The end result was that I decided to update to a Garmin 7200 , which I chose on the basis of its navigation performance, not being particularly interested in the other bells and whistles , which I agree with aprevious poster , if I wanted to time an egg I would buy an eggtimer .

I have owned garmin satnavs previously beginning with a Streetpilot111 and then a 6260 (touchscreen) and the 7200 is touchscreen as well . The 7200 has capacity for whole of Europe, world map and also Australia plus loads of poi , eg low bridges, width limits and weight limits , cash generators (speed cams) Uk , europe, camp sites , plus loads of own waypoints . Its recalculation is very fast , and I have found it to be very reliable , i.e. not trying to take me down farm tracks and over cliffs . Some of the cheaper end of the garmin range tend to choose some funny routes, as do a couple of tom tom I have tried , VDO units seem to be a pain to operate , and a not very intuitive , or it might just be me .

Up dating maps can work out expensive , how much of a consideration this needs to be depends a bit on how much effort you want to expend , as I find that every two years is pretty ok , as the satnav usually works it out pretty quick if you appear to be crossing a field on a road that is not there , and the new road soon reconnects to the old one , as we are running out of space for new roads anyhow . JMHO

little-jack - 2009-10-14 3:40 PM

Just returned from a 2000+ mile journey through France with a sat-nav which must be nearly 5 years out of date by now and I never had any real problems. OK there were new roundabouts that it wasn't aware of and some new roads but nothing that wasn't obvious. If you have a paper map as well you should usually be OK. And even that was a 2008 copy so at least 2 years out of date.

Updates 3 times a year sounds a bit OTT unless you are using it for business and can justify the need.

RupertGS - 2009-10-13 11:14 PM

I'm sorry to have to say this, but your totally over the top reaction to what was intended as a helpful post, proves once again two things; that you are not too bright and unable or unwilling to read and understand my post properly and that your dislike of me completely overrides whatever little common sense you possess.

C'mon Rupert, is that the best you can do? Not to your usual pompous standard. :D

Read my post again, the gist of which is that the only way to decide on something like a sat nav, is to read independent tests. You may think that you are able to tell a member of this forum which sat nav to buy because you've owned two, both of which are probably now out of date, but I'm not that conceited and I certainly couldn't.

Really? :-S

Your attack on me was unnecessary and illogical. Anyone with real intelligence would have understood what I was trying to say and I totally stand by it. It is only your dislike for me that prompted you to attack me in this way, a dislike that you prove every time you add even more vile bile as you've just done in your last post.

Slightly more 'pompous' than the other paragraph ... keep it up chuck, you're getting there. :-D

Please do me a favour Mel B, keep out of my posts and I'll keep out of yours. I'd rather debate with someone who has at least a spark of logic and an open mind.

Funny, I thought this was a public forum? You are more than welcome to post whenever you like Rupert, just as I am. My mind is open to other views but I think yours could do with a 'door stop' to keep it that way sometimes. B-)

Edited to say: I've just noticed that Handyman totally understood my post and what I was trying to say (see a couple of posts above) why the hell can't you?

Finally, may I point out that I didn't start this, I posted what was a sincere attempt to give good advice but once again a certain woman has to wade in and start a huge row!

Are you talking to me, Rupert, or the forum members, you seem to be mixing it up a bit. Maybe the problem is the way you compose your posts ... it is such a shame you seem to have a complex about females. As for this being a 'huge row' ... sorry, but if I was really trying to have a 'hugh row' you'd know about it. If you want to think of it that way, that's fine, I've got better things to do that have 'huge rows' with anyone.I hope that the other forum members have 'enjoyed the fun' and not taken offence, I've really enjoyed it, haven't had such a good banter for ages. :-> Off to chat to others now - bye chuck! :-D

I have not visited Chatterbox for some time because of idiots. This forum now seems to have gone the same way which is a pity because there was always a lot of good advice here. It seems the moderators are only interested in posts which might reflect on their advertisers and not in sorting out the troublemakers. That being the case I am now removing the forum from my favorites list and do not intend to visit again.

To those who usually behave like spoilt children feel free to attack me in the usual manner. I won't be here to read it

peter - 2009-10-14 8:34 PM

I must say I'm more than a little surprised that Mel B has kept this silliness up so long. Come on you two kiss and make up.

perhaps there is a history to this that I have missed - but why pick on MelB, the aggression was initiated by rgs - in a classical example of trolling - which seems to be his main - if not only - contribution to this forum

whilst it may be entertaining I am surprised that [commercial] mods haven't acted to preserve the integrity of the forum, it's like watching a spoiled brat in a kindergarten - and is not a good ad for the magazines etc

Wehave a TomTom 730, probably about 2 years out of date except for 'voluntary' map updates

I had thought about paying for an update next year before we set off in May /June for a 'quick whizz' around bits of France / Belgium / or where ever takes our fancy. Presumed this was the cheap and cheerful way to go - we would normally update paper maps every 3 years and always use them together.

We had one notable route from TomTom last year when it insisted that we must turn into a Geant car park !!! we eventually gave up in disgust and followed the roadsigns for perhaps 2 kms - before arriving at the exit to the same Geant car park that we had dismissed as 'a satnav screw up - it was a short cut to the tune of 10 minutes in peak traffic *-)

duffers - 2009-10-14 8:49 PM

I must say I'm more than a little surprised that Mel B has kept this silliness up so long. Come on you two kiss and make up.

perhaps there is a history to this that I have missed - but why pick on MelB, the aggression was initiated by rgs - in a classical example of trolling - which seems to be his main - if not only - contribution to this forum

whilst it may be entertaining I am surprised that [commercial] mods haven't acted to preserve the integrity of the forum, it's like watching a spoiled brat in a kindergarten - and is not a good ad for the magazines etc

"The aggression was initiated by rgs", dont get how, if you read his post which has got almost everyone so upset, I cant see what has upset you all :-S

If you read it as a good mod should, there is nothing wrong with the post

duffers - 2009-10-14 8:49 PM

I'm not picking on Mel B. I'm a bit surprised because it is out of character for her, RGS on the other hand is an old hand at being abrasive.

Archived