Roscoff to Valencia

John.N

John.N - 2009-10-12 8:05 AM

Most recommendations for winter routes to Valencia are via Biarritz. Are there any objections to going via Toulouse and Perpignan? I would have thought there would be less chance of snow down the east coast of spain.

No problem with that route except for the extra distance. and motor way charges.

Via Birarritz is motor way charge free but for a 5mile part just befor the Spanish border.

Unless you use toll roads, which we don't, it's slow going and further. Have a look at a map and line a ruler from Roscoff to Valencia and you'll see why.

Many people have the mind set that to get to the Mediterranean coast of Spain it would be logical to go via the Mediterranean coast of France.

Hi

Just come back from the show today, making enquiries re proposed trip to the Algarve in Jan /Feb. people who appeared knowledgeable advised me not to go via North Eastern Spain as it could be considered" Bandit Country" with a criminal element, waiting to prey on unsuspecting newbies like ourselves. Any thoughts?

Bojitoes

PS Norfolk Lines have excellent show offer on ferry to Dunkirk, book now, motorhome + 2 adults £24 each way if booked before sunday 18th. can amend dates after sunday at no cost.

PPS Judgemental- anticipated temperature 65-68 degrees in old money

Bojitoes - 2009-10-13 9:22 PM

people who appeared knowledgeable advised me not to go via North Eastern Spain as it could be considered" Bandit Country" with a criminal element, waiting to prey on unsuspecting newbies like ourselves. Any thoughts?

Why would you go to the Algarve via North Eastern Spain?

Bojitoes - 2009-10-13 8:22 PM

Hi

Just come back from the show today, making enquiries re proposed trip to the Algarve in Jan /Feb. people who appeared knowledgeable advised me not to go via North Eastern Spain as it could be considered" Bandit Country" with a criminal element, waiting to prey on unsuspecting newbies like ourselves. Any thoughts?

If they are so knowledgeable perhaps they should have given you some examples of Motorhomers/Caravanners being subject to these 'Bandito's' ?

I do not know of any country in this modern world that does not have a criminal element. I travelled through Spain earlier this year from Bilbao down to Madrid then across to Valencia and up the East coast to Perpignan and then across to Biarritz. Encountered no problems whatsover.

Like anywhere you go on holiday, Motorhomes, Hotels it doesn't matter, just remember not to leave your common sense at home and apply some basic security measures.

Bojitoes - 2009-10-13 8:22 PM

Hi

B-) Been driving through North East Spain since 1995 with NO PROBLEM. Stay away from Motorway Aires in SPAIN only. ;-)

I've only had one problem in around 20 years. This was the known "bandit" problem while driving through Barcelona. The remedy is "don't stop" if bandits drive alongside you.

I always tuck myself in front of a large lorry so the bandits can't do their normal trick of throwing something at your van from behind and then driving alongside you signalling you to stop making you think that there is something wrong with your vehicle. Those that get out get robbed.

Guest JudgeMental
John.N - 2009-10-16 8:47 AM

Hi Alan Weekes,

You sent me a private message and I replied but it still seems tlo be sitting in my outbox. Can you let me know whether you received it, and if not, how do I send it on its way?

Regards, John

it will sit there until he realises he has mail.......this can take a while :-S

Archived