Rear view camera

Brian Kirby

Guest Brian Kirby
I decided, a few months back, that a rear view camera would be a useful aid to driving safety. Our van has a rear window, but the view out via the interior mirror is quite restricted, and not of any practical use when reversing. The main shortcoming tended to arise outside UK, where drivers are inclined to come up close behind you, and then cut out abruptly to overtake. If you are awaiting an overtaking opportunity yourself, and see one, the odds are the following vehicle (which you know is there, but can no longer see in the interior mirror because it is too close, or in the door mirrors because it is directly behind you), will next appear alongside just as you are commencing your manoeuvre. In this context your own indicators often seem merely to serve to tell the driver behind it is safe for him/her to commence ovetraking, and not as a warning that you intend doing so yourself! Whatever, I felt a camera would be a good idea. However, I have an aversion to making holes in the bodywork, and cameras need cables connecting them to a monitor and feeding them power. The wireless type avoid the cables and so the holes, but require batteries, and I also wanted to avoid them if possible. My idea was for an inboard mounted camera, looking back through the rear window. However, I couldn't find such an installation on offer. I therefore enquired through MMM "forum", which led to a response from Dave Newell, who knows about these things. A discussion on three later I received by post a kit comprising camera, monitor, cables, connectors and all necessary instructions. I just had to design and fabricate my own camera, and monitor, mounting brackets. Two or three days work later, I had a working rear view system. It is livened when the ignition is turned on and shows a surprisingly good view of the road behind, from the horizon up to around 2.5 metres from the back bumper with a good lateral spread as well. It has also proved useful while reversing, in that it shows the area you are about to enter. Its only real limitation is that it does not show objects within the blind angle extending from the camera lens down to the ground at about 2.5 metres to the rear of the 'van. Not a huge disadvantage overall. The camera, being inboard, is away from road dirt, wet weather and tampering fingers. It is less then a couple of inches square, so hardly affects the normal view out through the rear window. It adjusts automatically to varying daylight levels, but cannot cope with very low light. The picture is adequate rather than stunning but, overall, fits the bill very well and clearly shows following vehicles that would otherwise tend to be in a blind spot. You do have to keep the back window clean, though! I know we're not supposed to give plugs on forum, but there are many references to Maplins, so I hope I will be forgiven for mentioning Dave's contribution to this installation. I certainly couldn't have worked it out alone. Oh yes, and it cost just under £250, which seems to compare quite well with the more standard offerings. Dave says he could do the same for others, if there were interest. I hope this may prove useful to others Brian

Guest Derek Uzzell
Brian: A small point, but I don't think wireless reversing-camera systems use batteries - at least all the ones I've seen haven't. The norm seems to be for the front radio module to be powered via the monitor and the rear camera + radio module via the reversing-light's electrical circuit. This strategy is, of course, no use if it is intended that the system should act as a rear-view mirror equivalent. (Presumably your system's display is colour not monochrome?)

Guest Mel E
Having self-fitted such a system to previous 'vans, can I add two WARNINGS to any d-i-yers (Dave will have taken care of these automatically): 1. A key SAFETY requirement is that monitor MUST be capable of having the picture reversed side-to-side. Without this, drivers overtaking on you right will appear in the monitor on the left, with potentially disastrous consequences if you then change lanes! Most purpose built reversing systems have monitors with a switch for this purpose. Leave it in the reverse view position. 2. Choose a colour monitor with adequate brightness and with a shade so that the picture does not reflect in the windscreen.

Guest Brian Kirby
Derek and Mel I thought I saw a battery operated camera somewhere, but didn't pay it that much attention since it wasn't what I really wanted. I could easily have been mistaken. A permanent supply for the reversing light operated cameras could have been fixed, but would still have required wiring through those holes in the bodywork that I wanted to avoid. Yes, both camera and monitor are colour, although the colour does drop out in (very) low light to leave a B&W image. This could be enhanced with more powerful reversing lights. However, I don't intend doing much, if any, night driving at present so that's not a current concern. Yes, Dave did indeed ensure the monitor would provide a reversed image, and it readily does so. I forgot to mention that, so thanks Mel. Windscreen reflections are eliminated as the monitor is suspended centrally (on its Kirby patented Special Edition bracket) from just above the head of the windscreen, (dear old Fiat have provided all sorts of spare captive nuts just ahead of the interior light!) so it hangs down more or less where the interior mirror would have been. The other adavntage of this is that it doesn't interfere with the forward view down across the scuttle to the passenger's side, when manoeuvering around tight spots! It also looks quite neat internally in this position. Those dash mounted ones always seem to end up looking a bit of an afterthought. Brian

Guest Clive
Hi Brian, My monitor is in exactly the same place as yours, it just fits above the internal rear view mirror but gives a better picture than the rear view mirror. The camera is mounted on an aluminium square section tube which overhangs the back of the motorhome roof. The pole is clamped to the integral roof rack. Yes I have a hole in the roof but its not at water level. The Autotrail roof has two raised box sections each side that run front to back. There is a hole in the middle of the side of the inwards facing face of one of these sections to which is fitted a commercial plastic electrical enclosure which has an "O" ring seal for the lid. The lid is fitted with several cable glands. One gland does the CCTV, the rest for solar panel cable and antenna associated with my other drug - Ham radio. My CCTV components are commercial quality bits made by ORLACO in the Netherlands. All the image swapping up/down, left/right and loads of other options are in the screens software menu,s. Best thing since sliced bread though. Enjoy Clive

Guest Dave Newell
Hi all, thanks Brian for a favourable report, I'm pleased it's all working well for you. There is one great advantage to fitting monitors in this position, they're not as noticeable from outside and therefore not as likely to atract a toerag's attention. Cheers, Dave. www.davenewell.co.uk

• 3 months later...

Just a small update on the camera in use.  We've just completed 5,000 km around Italy and the camera was superb.  Coped with all light levels very well and even gives a fully legible view going through tunnels! 

It has far exceeded my expectations and enabled me to keep a close eye on all those cars/motorcycles that follow close behind and then suddenly chop out to overtake just as you do.  If you know they are there you can anticipate what they'll do next - and that avoids a lot of avoidance manoeuvres and makes for a much more relaxed and smoother journey.

Regards

I read your post with interest Brian. I have recently purchased a MH with a rear camera fitted. It comes on automatically when reverse gear is selected. I thought what a good idea it would be to have it so that it could be switched on manually when I was in forward drive. I have no rear window so it would be like having a rear view mirror. The instructions seem to imply that it MUST be activated by the reverse gear giving me the impression that it was some kind of legal requirement. Do you or anyone else out there know the exact situation. I cannot see any reason why it would be illegal?

Geoff

You mustn't watch telly while driving, but the monitor is only a substitute for your regular rear view mirror, which in our case did'nt give much of a rear view, and not a telly. 

The legal requirement (as I understand it) is that you must have an adequate view to the rear.  It is (generally) accepted that the external mirrors provide this, but in respect of the particular circumstances I described, I didn't feel this alone was good enough.  I believe coaches and some trucks are similarly equipped.  The monitor is suspended where the rear view mirror would ordinarily be, and comes on with the ignition, so giving a full time rear view (with left to right reversed image, so that the picture is presented in the same way as a mirror would present it).

The only reason I can see for not having the camera/monitor running permanently would be if either is unsuitable for continuous operation.  I guess only the maker/supplier could advise on that, but I believe many systems can be switched between reversing mode and permanent mode. 

I also understand some have a look down camera that is switched when reversing, plus a more horizontally set camera for a permanent rear view when driving forwards.  However, for that you need a monitor that can provide reversed images from both cameras and the one I have can only reverse a single image, thus the second would come as a true image which is unacceptable and dangerously confusing in either application.

I really can't see any logical reason why substituting a CCTV set up for a mirror should be in any sense illegal, indeed some internal rear view mirrors are now sold that include a small monitor screen for enhanced view where the normal viewing angle is partially obstructed.

I'd seek the explanation from the maker of your set up.

Good luck

Archived