Vibrating water pump.

Ralph

Early in my recent holiday I got trouble with my water pump. It's a large pump fitted just by the tank (ie: it's not the submersible type). The pump vibrated badly and the water flow reduced to a trickle.

I took the van to a Pilote agent in France who decided that the pump needed to be replaced but that they would need to get one from Pilote. As that required 10 days and I wasn't staying in any one area that long I declined and put up with the trickle and just kept more water in pouring containers etc.

Then one month to the day after it went wrong I turned on the tap to fill the kettle and it gushed and spat and went back to normal.

I realise that it's not easy to diagnose a fault that's not there, especially by e-mail but does anyone have any ideas what happened? No air locks as far as I could tell and the tank was full.

I'm obviously concerned that it might happen again but I don't want to replace a very expensive pump if I don't need to.

mike.wittamore - 2009-10-12 10:11 AM

Any chance of a blockage in the inlet pipe, a foreign body in the tank? A friend of mine had a similar problem in the cooling system of his boat, it turned out to be a muscle shell in the filter. He was in the channel shipping lanes at the time

I don't think so. I checked this, and so did the man in France but we "thought" it was OK.

Most pumps have a coa**e filter on the inlet side of the pump. Its worth a look to see if any debris (plastic swarf, plant or animal remains etc) has accumulated. If debris gets as far as the pump it might lodge under a valve for a while so the poor pump was pushing and pulling rather than building up pressure.

Pump motors are pretty reliable but the plastic valves can get hard with old age. Spare valves and even complete pump heads are relativly cheap and avaliable from caravan dealers or yacht chandlers.

George Collings - 2009-10-12 5:24 PM

Most pumps have a coa**e filter on the inlet side of the pump.

?? Sorry I don't understand this bit. I did check the filter and all seemed OK at the time.

I'm interested that you say the pump head might be replaceable. I'll have to look into that as I'm sure it would be cheaper than changing the motor as well.

On your main control panel do you have several options for 'Pump settings' ? I had a similar problem when away for a long weekend and thought my pump had failed. Just by chance I went through my control panel and found that inadvertently someone who shall remain nameless (The OH :D ) had for some strange reason been playing with the settings and had switched the pump seting from 'Internal' to 'External'. Switched it back and guess what ........ :D

Archived