To Morocco in Feb 2010

mike.wittamore

Hello All

We are going to Morocco in Feb with Blue Camel we catch the Portsmouth / Bilbao ferry on the 22nd and arrive at Bilbao on the 24th . We have then got 4 days to get to Algeciras. We intend to go down the motor way to Burgos then on the A62 via Valladolid, Salamanca, Caceres and Seville, then to Algeciras. Has anyone travelled this route in Feb. or is anyone joining Blue Camel for the same trip? Any experienced advice would be appreciated. But please No judgement on our decision and please don’t tell me “I haven’t done this but if I did I wouldn’t do it in a Hymer” etc. Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike

Did this trip two years ago and had a geat (unforgettable) time. Be prepared for some very basic camp sites but we managed very well and we were in a VW Campervan ( no shower) . The journey through Spain was fine with good roads although scenery rather plain. Morocco was great with pretty good roads and fantastic scenery (Atlas,-4 and Sahara +30). Food not a problem, plenty of bread,vegetables and meat. Programme from Ed and Flo gave you a lot of leeway to stop and enjoy the trip on a daily basis. Their information was excellent. You are split up into small groups of 2/3 so that you do not travel in convoy, meeting each evening. My tip is to be inquisitive and walk about in the villages. We never felt threatened and the people are friendly. Be prepared to be approached by children where ever you stop asking for stilo,bon bon and clothes. Be patient and have a great trip

SAUNDERS - 2009-10-19 1:51 PM

Hi Mike

Did this trip two years ago and had a geat (unforgettable) time. Be prepared for some very basic camp sites but we managed very well and we were in a VW Campervan ( no shower) . The journey through Spain was fine with good roads although scenery rather plain. Morocco was great with pretty good roads and fantastic scenery (Atlas,-4 and Sahara +30). Food not a problem, plenty of bread,vegetables and meat. Programme from Ed and Flo gave you a lot of leeway to stop and enjoy the trip on a daily basis. Their information was excellent. You are split up into small groups of 2/3 so that you do not travel in convoy, meeting each evening. My tip is to be inquisitive and walk about in the villages. We never felt threatened and the people are friendly. Be prepared to be approached by children where ever you stop asking for stilo,bon bon and clothes. Be patient and have a great trip

When we did the tripin to Morocco with Desert Detours April this year we drove through Spain via Madrid and Granada. The scenery was far from boring this way...

Morocco is just amazing we loved every minute there. So much so we are going back with Ray in 2013 ( we have other plans in-between times)

I am sure your route in Morocco will be different but our blog and photos can be seen here

http://ontour2009.blogspot.com/

Have a great time

We did the route you're going on (Burgos, salamanca etc) two years ago in October, returning in November. We found frosty nights but glorious days.

We did hear of a couple who were stuck in a campsite in deep snow for three days but don't let that put you off, the roads are good, make sure you have chains and a snow shovel for each of you!

I'm really envious of your trip but sadly can't get away for more that 3 weeks because of aged parents.

We used campsites in the CC club book, can let you know which ones if you want. The towns you're going through all merit a stop.

Have a good time.

Archived