Motorhome Parking for London Tube

izzywhit

Does anybody know where to park a 3 metre high motorhome to catch the tube from the Heathrow or Hounslow areas. I have sent 2 e-mails to NCP car parks as to whether there are any height restrictions in those areas but no replies forthcoming can someone help ?

Basically nowhere.

Hounslow council told me "Height restrictions apply in council car parks, many of which have height restraint barriers at 2.0 metres. In addition, for on-street parking spaces there is a height restriction of 2.28 metres, a width restriction of 1.80 metres and a length restriction of 5.25 metres."

Unless you can find a private car park or a street where parking is totally unrestricted I'm afraid your stuck.

Graham

Basically it is extreemely difficult to park anywhere near Heathrow or Hounslow, unless you pay quite a lot, and it's hard to think of anywhere that would allow the height.

If you really want to go into London by pulic transport, you might try parking in Windsor and taking the overground train to Waterloo. I have seen motorhomes in the carpark near Eton and Windsor Riverside station. There may be stations elsewhere that are also suitable.

AGD

izzywhit - 2009-10-13 11:19 PM

Thanks GJH, so much for the drive to get us to use public transport this is discrimination.

Not sure I would use the word discrimination. Lack of understanding or appreciation would be nearer the mark. I think the size restrictions in Hounslow are to stop the place becoming clogged up by large commercial vehicles and, given the area it is, one can understand that. It's a pity they don't make exceptions (at least on street) for MHs though - but I'm not sure I'd like to drive the van in London traffic :-)

Archiesgrandad makes a very good point - which I should have thought of myself. It may well be worth looking at places a bit further out on main rail lines.

When we visit London we stay at CC Abbey Wood and use the train from there. Have also stayed at camp sites in Lee Valley and used public transport.

Just noticed you have an Autoquest 100, same as us - at least we're not faced with trying to park a 36 foot RV :-)

Graham

GJH - 2009-10-14 7:45 AM

Archiesgrandad makes a very good point - which I should have thought of myself. It may well be worth looking at places a bit further out on main rail lines.

Yes, there must be lots of places where that would work. Even out here, we have trains which get into Liverpool St in an hour. Not sure which lines would be most convenient coming from the Northwest, but there are bound to be some. Get hold of a rail map for the Southeast, and compare with your road atlas to see where would be good for you - then contact that place specifically to ask about MH parking.

On paper Heathrow may look like a good place to get tube but it isn't, unless the service has been sped up in recent years. It would proboly be just as quick to catch train from Hitchin or Stevenage, or you could stay at campsite in Sandy and walk couple of hundred yards to station.

Hi Izzywhit,

I travel to central London fairly regularly and always drive from Birmingham to Watford Junction where I can leave the car for £8 per day. The station car park is no good for motorhomes as there is a 2 metre low bridge to negotiate but there are a number of other car parks in the area. trains to London are plentiful, 4-5 per hour at least and it is only about 20 minute trip to Euston where you can pick up the tube.

hope this helps

Bojitoes

I've had a reply from NCP carparks and they inform me that I can park a motorhome at the Hammersmith Grove tube carpark, which is not far from the end of the M4 so I'll probably try that option. Other options were to stay on the London area Cara Club etc, but they were all full for the weekend I will be there so I am staying on a site near Wokingham. Thanks to all who gave me advice.

if you want to park it in central london, the underground carpark at the Royal national Hotel in Bloomsbury will take a motorhome, both height and length! I will have my 7.54m x 3.25m motorhome parked there on saturday morning.

Westminster has free parking on a weekend (including single yellows, while Camden (for Euston and Bloomsbury) is free from 1pm on a saturday.

duetto owner - 2009-10-19 3:43 PM

park in a nearby residental street near hounslow west

That could fall foul of the Hounslow borough-wide restriction on vehicle size mentioned in my initial post on this thread.

Graham

Archived