Tour de France 2010

Fred Duck

OK, I know it's a long time forward but the 2010 route has been announced today and, if we're going, we've got to do some planning.

First thoughts are that we might go down to Pau, onto The Tourmolet for the climb and then back up to Bordeaux for the Time Trial.

I know it will be mighty, mighty busy, particularly on The Tourmolet, but does anybody have any experience of taking a 'van to the Tour and how do you get one of those roadside 'pitches'? How many days before do you have to turn up to get a spot? Etc. etc.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

FD

Depends where you want to be Fred. We did it for the first time last year, just on the final day south of Paris. We arrived early in the morning and showered, dressed and breakfasted by the roadside before settling down to wait. But if you're really early you have to make quite sure you're in the right place. A French family started putting up their gazebo on the wrong leg of the junction. We put them straight, and were invited to join them for lunch afterwards - ie the rest of the day!

But if you want to see a mountain stage, I'm told you need to be there at least the day before - maybe longer!

12258845_TourVan.JPG.f2bfe291d96825f103f7efe67f4c81d7.JPG

TourFamily.JPG.bfb355d92dea683976edf117c9fd861c.JPG

I have been to watch the Tour at Alpe d'Huez on 2 occassions. Both were with a tent prior to Motorhome days.

The police closed the road from the foot of the climb at about 4:00pm on the day preceeding the race. Prime parking spots are long gone by this time but we managed to squeeze the car in and pitched our small tent a short distance from the road. No chance of any sleep that night as our neighbouring Italians partied all night.

After the race has passed, usually by about 5:00pm dont expect to move for several hours due to the volume of traffic. It was midnight when we finally got off the mountain. Be prepared with several days provisions and water etc.

Watching at Sestriere on another year we parked about 10 miles from the route and cycled the rest of the way. This allowed for a quick get away and was preferable.

On flat road stages the roads are only closed 3 hours prior to the race arrival and you should find many parking spots. Although dont blink or you can miss the race passing.

As Tony says it is great event to meet people. I am forever grateful to the Dutch family who refilled our water bottles on the climb to Sestriere.

Have fun.

Archived