Reversing aids

chris

Guest Chris
Can anybody give me advice about the "stud" type revesring aids you see on the back of BMWs etc? I have looked at various adverts/ websites and so have a vague idea of how they work. Have any of you used these or fitted these on a motorhome. We have Hymer 584 with partly curved rear bumpers.

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Hi Chris i dont have an electronic device After years of driving vans on markets and squeezing into thight places, sometimes in the dark. I have come to trust and rely on my wifes judgement What i do also use are two little blind spot mirors (which i find to be a distraction when driving normally - and they dont give vision where you really want it I have them showing the rear wheels and bumper, this I use to reverse past the guy lines on our driveaway awning when returning to our pitch. On those electronic devices I have read somewhere (think it was in MMM) that you require one or two extra sensors because of the width of a motor home Also they are not sensitive enough for very close parking. he article said that they were OK until you got to 1 meter short of the obstruction. Then told you to stop You can possibly get one with a sensetivity adjustment But they COST more than a wife to set up - but are cheaper to keep once you have one (not wife they are an ongoing expense)

Guest Dave Newell
Hi Chris and Yorkshire Tyke, I sell these parking/distance sensors and can confirm that no matter how many years of driving experience you have they can help. Also when it's raining wifey type person is usually reluctant to get out and watch you back up (apologies to any couples where wifey type drives and hubby type guides but the same applies with roles reversed). The systems I sell will accurately read distance to an object down to 0.4 metres (18 inches in old money) and are accurate to within 1 centimetre. cost varies according to the type most suited but for your 'van I would suggest the parking partner at £200 fitted (from me obviously, other suppliers are available) , This gives a wide horizontal "view" but shallow vertical "view" that is adjustable to prevent false readings from the ground. The parking partner will read accurately to within 1 centimetre any object down to 30 centimetres from the sensors. I generally find that most people don't want to get closer than this. D.

Guest Mel E
Yes they do work well with walls, hedges and any reasonable solid object. I'm less sure about single posts, lampposts and the like because I've never had the confidence to rely on them in that situation. Dave's input would be helpful. And, sorry to gloat about our new one, but our new van conversion came with them fitted to the base Renault Master - four studs across the rear bumper - and they seem to work fine.

Guest peter goddard
Halfords are doing a set of 4 fitted for about £150, I have not bought any yet so cannot comment on how effective they are or how good the fitting service but at least you will have a local branch.

Guest Dave Newell
Hi Mel, If they're properly set up they dhould pick up a lamp post/bollard etc. I would advise caution with retro fitting the button/stud type in the rear bumper if the bumper is less than 500mm from the ground. Most systems using these type of sensors will pick up the ground and give false readings if they are lower than 500mm from the ground. Factory fitted systems should do better but I've seen some dodgy ones. D.

Guest Chris
Many thanks to you all for the info. Dave, Could you email me with further details of your system and where about in the country you are based. Does it have just sound alerts or is there any visual indication? cturner101@aol.com.

Guest Clive
Before speding that amount of cash one should seriously consider the alternative of a rear view camera. Surely its better to know WHAT is behind you, not just if? It could be a toddler. "It is the drivers responsibility to check if is clear behind when reversing". This even includes getting out of the drivers seat and walking round the back to have a look. In my book these sensors dont fully satisfy this requirement. But this is just one grandad's viewpoint thinking it just might be one of my grandchildren hiding behind the van when I reverse it.Another £50.00 and you can have a camera system and actually see what,s behind and then be sure. Now, who could fit a camera for you?? Take care

Guest fjmike
As per usual Clive has hit the nail on the head. I would just like to add that with a camera you can havethe option of it being on all the time your driving, giving you a view of the nutter that is driving two inches away from your back bumper

Guest Basil
Hello Chris, I have reversing aid fitted as well as rear vision camera, both DIY. Before you go spending the kind of sums mentioned here try www.ardkeen.ie/universalparkingsystems and click on 'Products'. Mine is quite sophisticated has four sensors and cost £45 inc vat and pp, and is superb in performance and totally accurate, they do even more sophisticated ones I do feel that we in the motorhome user set suffer from 'RVAT' (Recreational Value Added Tax or XS Profit) I fitted camera as well, direct purchase from the USA, as I wanted rear vision whilst on the road rather than for parking, the two combined costing less than the prices being quoted in this thread for just sensor systems, covers most situations you will find yourself in!!

Guest Mel B
Dave/Clive ... anyone! We've got a Toad LCD monitor which we want to put a rear view camera to - we have a window in the rear so thought about getting one of those small wireless CCTV colour cameras which runs off batteries with a receiver - we don't really want to have to start pratting around pulling cables through etc. Has anyone used one of these wireless systems? If so, how good are they and do you get any interference when using them from the engine, radio etc?

Guest Clive
As you might expect our own camera system is DIY fitted and comes on with the vehicle key switch. The system is made by ORLACO in the Netherlands. The field of vision I have set is from the horizon to just about half a metre behind the Motorhome. Before you jump I do tow a small 2 metre long trailer with our monkey bikes on it and the image in the camera is good enough to reverse this round a corner. The web site that Basil has indicated sure looks to have some bargains on it. America is also well known for selling Ham Radio gear at half the price of the identical device in the UK. Perhaps its because they have a bigger customer base? But if one is not able to DIY these things one self with confidence then skilled labour is expensive when the person putting the labour also needs a brain to be able to overcome any obstacles to progress found on route. Our dustmen are on £35K a year! What should you pay a skilled sparky / fitter who also has to cover the cost of rent, heating, lighting, rates, insurance and an accountant for his lock up for starters? If you want a real laugh, ask one of the bigger motorhom dealers what they would charge to fit a system. Then ask them if they would fit one you provided. My guess is that they will only fit gear they provide themselves for 2 reasons :- 1) They make a mark up on the product. 2) They will be providing the warranty should it go wrong. If you did find someone to fit a system you purchaced on line from America and a month later it stopped working. Who do you moan at first? Where is the fault? Only the skilled man can look for this fault and if it turns out to be the monitor system then the skilled man will quite rightly give you a bill for his time. I recently bought a "bargain" from America, but by the time customs did their worst with the excise plus the "handling fee" is was barely worth doing. If you are a confident DIY er then get the American bits and put a report up on this forum of its success. If you want someone else to fit the equipment then take their advice - and their warranty! Good luck Clive

Guest Dave Newell
Once again clive has hit the nail absolutely squarely on the head, you REALLY don't want to know what rent, rates, electric, water, insurance, phone lines and useage, security and advertising cost for just a small workshop! I've spent a long time learning my trade and haven't finished learniing yet. All I ask is the opportunity to cover my costs and make a reasonable living. Many people don't realise that it costs a trader to have credit/debit card facilities then it costs a little bit more every time you use it but in this industry you really need to have this facility. Oops I got into a bit of a rant there, apologies for that. As Clive rightly points out, the figures mentioned on this thread do include skilled labour charges. D.

Just a thought: you can buy a webcam for about £20 these days, so what about putting one on the back of the vehicle and diplaying the output on the screen of a laptop (assuming you are carrying a laptop anyway)on your passenger seat? I don't know enough about PCs to know if this is feasible. , but it sounds as if it ought to be.

Guest Dave Newell
Feasible but definitely not advisable! If PC Plod catches you with such a setup you could find yourself with a fine for "driving without due care and attention" because if you have to look down to the passenger seat for rear view (or navigation for that matter) while driving you are taking your eyes off the road for far too long! D.

Guest Clive
Some thoughts on the wireless link between camera and monitor. If the camera runs on internal batteries when do you turn it ON? When the driver asks? or do you change the batteries once every day or two? As I see it you need a camera to work at the very instant you have a need for it, else its too late. So its worth the bother of wiring it in properly for power so it works all the time the key switch is turned ON. If you are running a cable for this then this cable may as well carry the video signal. Copy and past the link below to see my bodge. (Coblers children and all that) www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/REAR%20VIEW%20CAMERA.htm Clive

Guest Basil
Just to say that the site quoted in my earlier post is in fact a store in Ireland not the USA, I only got the camera system from the US. I understand what Dave is saying with regard installed systems and I know, from other sites, Dave is a very helpful and reasonable chap. However it does not alter the fact that the very same articles, including adding vat and postage, there is no import duty on single purchases from USA, are usualy less in Dollars than the equivelent cost being asked for the same article in GBP i.e. for those that the penny has not dropped with yet 70% cheaper. The camera system I have is using two cameras, one for rear view and one looking down for close up, with a 6" colour monitor built in to a rear view mirror that is a rear view mirror when off and cost all in $158 plus $29 postage and £22.??p vat, total cost in GBP all in of £133. Now in GB the exact same system, but with only one less costly camera for DIY fitting is advertised for £240, now that, IMHO, is RVAT!! One other thing why would Plod not be happy with the webcam and laptop, surely that is no different to using the laptop for GPS is it?

To Dave Newell Thanks for your response, but I was only thinking of using the webcam/laptop as an aid for reversing into tight spots, not as a rear-view mirror. Presumably if it was all switched off while on the public highway there would be nothing to offend PC Plod?

Guest Mel E
Basil, where does it say there is no import duty on single items, This has certainly NOT been the case on items I've imported.

Guest Dave Newell
Bill, If it's not in operation while driving then it shouldn't be a problem but it is a bit cumbersome having to open up the laptop and look down at it for reversing manouvres. D.

Guest Mel E
Basil, I did that and the second page I went to seems to confirm my understanding. Here it is: "If you purchase goods through the Internet you should be aware that Customs duty and VAT will be payable, as follows: Customs duty - if the amount of duty is £7 and over and Import VAT - if the value of the goods is £18 and over. Please see Notice 143, paragraph 3.3 for more details. Customs duty is not payable on goods bought from countries within the EU. However, VAT is payable (if due) either in the EU country of purchase, or in the UK if the EU supplier is UK VAT registered. But, special rules apply to excise goods ie cigarettes, tobacco alcohol etc and these are explained separately. The duty-free allowances for travellers arriving from outside the EU do not apply to postal importations and commercial goods may have other conditions applied, including the need for a full C88 Customs Import entry." Since, on dutiable items, the duty is normally at least 10% or 15%, this means any item costing over about £50 to £70 is likely to be liable to duty. So I still don't understand your statement that single items are not subject to duty. Can you provide us with the specific place it says this?

Archived