Perthsire caravans policy

vaila2

Tony Jones - 2009-10-16 10:14 PM
dshague - 2009-10-16 8:28 PM

are transits camper vans allowed then .

Don't know - don't care - not going there!
I do not think this type of response is helpful or constructive. The post was to tell us about a rediculous action on the part of a site and making this sort of statement does not encourage others to go public. You should care even if only for the sake of others.Roy Fuller

Hi,

Cannot help thinking there must be more to this story we have not read. Just seems bizzarre to refuse them entry based on vehicle type.

However why go to Arbroath campsites, come to Carnustie instead, we have a lovely Municiple campsite which is well run and superb for a stay overnight or longer and you can have day trips out to Abroath and lots other places by Motorhome, train or bus. Forfar also has a great campsite and is ideally located next to Forfar Loch and leisure centre and again a good base for day trips out.

If you are into cycling there is a great cycle route from Carnoustie to Arbroath along the coastline, bit rough in places but really enjoyable and you can alway opt for the easy option of coming back along the official cycle routes by the dual carriageway From Carnoustie going west you can cycle on the cycle path all the way to Broughty Ferry which is very easy and close to the sea and Railway most of the way. If you are lucky you will see some dolphins in the Tay Estuary.

Jon.

Porky - 2009-10-17 2:34 PM
Tony Jones - 2009-10-16 10:14 PM
dshague - 2009-10-16 8:28 PM

are transits camper vans allowed then .

Don't know - don't care - not going there!
I do not think this type of response is helpful or constructive. The post was to tell us about a rediculous action on the part of a site and making this sort of statement does not encourage others to go public. You should care even if only for the sake of others. Roy Fuller

Oh do lighten up Porker's !  It was quite obvious what Tony meant !

Brambles - 2009-10-17 5:08 PM

Hi,

Cannot help thinking there must be more to this story we have not read. Just seems bizzarre to refuse them entry based on vehicle type.

Read it very carefully and you will see the manager mentioned about 'travelers' using this type of 'van', although this is later changed to 'wrong side door', it is obvious the rule is there to exclude gypsies and suchlike but the park cannot rule against them as it would be racist, so they target the makes of van used by gypsies, and in this case a motorcaravan has been included with caravans.

Exactly Colin, and maybe the family came across as being possible travelling types and the site manager could hardly turn round and make this suggestion as really would be offensive but could they take the risk.

This summer in Mont Noir at the campsite, we arrived and parked up on our chosen pitch and about 30 mins later a family in a large newish caravan arrived on a pitch opposite, followed very quickly by 5 others. The overnight pitches where now full and they just crammed themselves in and 4 of the group were Irish Travellers with two of them pitching up between ourselves and a neighbouring camper. Conversations soon persued and we agreed ths was not on and seeked the site manager to discover while all the commotion of the 6 parties arriving two of the kids had stolen from the site office and the police were on their way.

It was a fraut evening until they all finally left in convoy. It was clear to us they were travelling folk but not to the novice new site managers.

Now most experienced campsite owners have to avoid this situation and learn who might be suspicious and refuse entry. Can you blame them if they maybe get it wrong sometimes and genuine motorhomers or holiday makers get turned away.

I am not trying to support Perthshire caravans, but do see two sides to the story and if my theory is correct was the site manager really wrong to take the action they did. We have no idea what the family in th earticle appeared like or indeed were like but the duty of the site manager is to make sure there is never a problem situation that could arise spoiling it for others. I do not believe for one minute they have a blanket ruling against hobby motorhomes with doors on the wrong side, but I do believe it is flannel they can use to turn away anyone they feel is undesireable and maybe is justfiable or not. Some innocent holiday makers will get caught up in being turned away which is sad, but sadly is life.

Jon.

I do believe that there are always 2 sides to a story, but even this seems to be very one sided. For starters travellers go for caravans not motorhomes. Secondly to use the excuse also of the door being on the wrong side - well then that counts me out in a Rapido along with many other continental built motorhomes.

This site, if having trouble from a minority group, and having made a blanket exclusion of certain makes, should have therefore asked when the booking was made for details of the motorhome and therefore refused the booking. The site in my eyes acted incorrectly in refusing this family if they had not made it clear at booking of the Hobby exclusion. Do they also ask about which side the door is on at time of booking. However this doesn't resolve the family's disappointment and embarrasment of being turned away, and having their holiday spoilt.

I've definitely seen motorhomes on travellers' sites in the UK, not official sites, but 'wherever they want to park' sites, there was one such very large site, with at least 20 caravans there, kids running all over, dogs etc, and 2 nice newish motorhomes in the middle with them. I've also seen it in France too.

messerschmitt owner - 2009-10-19 2:37 PM

Another scottish campsite banned them about three years ago - Forsythe's near Denny, IIRC.

I didnt know there was a site near there...I thought Forsythes had a scrap yard on the Denny road.....did you by any chance mean Auchenbowie..near the M9 services?

bertieburstner - 2009-10-19 6:03 PM

near the Brighton CC site in September many travellers had set up camp and there was a very nice 58 plate Swift motorhome amongst them.

Sounds like the one I saw parked in the coach bays on the seafront late last year, complete with tatty pony on a tether. I asked two passing parking attendants if it was OK for me to park a little further down the coach bays if I bought a ticket (the professional "traveller" had omitted to buy one.) They said they would isssue a penalty ticket the moment I parked my vehicle, even if I paid for a coach ticket. When I pointed out they had neglected to attach a penalty ticket to the Swift, or the dozen or so cars and caravans around it, they said the council's Gypsy and Traveller Unit had told them to leave the travellers alone. It seems some people enjoy highly privileged status in the UK and it ain't the rest of us motorhomers........

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2009-10-21 8:05 AM

bertieburstner - 2009-10-19 6:03 PM

. When I pointed out they had neglected to attach a penalty ticket to the Swift, or the dozen or so cars and caravans around it, they said the council's Gypsy and Traveller Unit had told them to leave the travellers alone. It seems some people enjoy highly privileged status in the UK and it ain't the rest of us motorhomers........

Bob

Would it be possible to write and complain to the council and ask for them to confirm if this is correct. I know it is easier to just shrug our shoulders and say we will not return but if we do not take these councils on and continually challenge them (in a constructive way) then things will not change and every one who follows will suffer the same problem.

Roy Fuller

Champstar - 2009-10-20 11:11 PM

messerschmitt owner - 2009-10-19 2:37 PM

Another scottish campsite banned them about three years ago - Forsythe's near Denny, IIRC.

I didnt know there was a site near there...I thought Forsythes had a scrap yard on the Denny road.....did you by any chance mean Auchenbowie..near the M9 services?

[/quote

I do mean Auchenbowie and i is owned by the Forsyths of the scrapyard and recovery fame!

Heard of Hobby caravans being refused on sites but never Motorhomes, we towed a Hobby caravan for 6 years never had a problem.

I've come across a number of French Municipal sites that do not allow tandem axle caravans for the same reason.

It is very unfair discrimination, Hobby are the largest caravan manufacturer in Europe stayed at one site near Nancy in France over a 100 caravans on the site approx 90% were Hobby's not one traveller, mostly Dutch & us of course.

Archived