Retrofit Secu-Motion for Trumatic C6002EH

Way2Go

All I want to do is have the Trumatic C6002EH Combi Boiler in my 2007 Bessacarr E560 motorhome upgraded so that I can drive around in the winter and be warm!!!

I've contacted Truma who told me that a ". . . secu-motion can be retrofitted by your dealer. You will also need the rupture valve hose."

I've tried three local motorhome suppliers and cannot get anyone to carry out the work. Two just ignored my calls and the third said they didn't feel competent!!

Swift tell me that "I can confirm when we install en route heating to our Motorhomes as part of the standard specification, we do fit:

1) A secumotion regulator with appropriate hose between bottle and regulator.

2) 10mm rather than 8mm gas pipe, from the regulator to the gas manifold. This will affect the fittings into the manifold.

3) Ensure that a 12v supply is present at the appliance when the engine is running."

So, has anyone had this done and if so, how much did it cost?

Many thanks

W2G

Hi,

As an alternative you might want to consider fitting a heater running off the engine cooling system. My Rapido runs this system and it is very effective but you will need space for the heater matrix. I believe that Rapido now fit the Secumotion for space heating on the move; it's probably cheaper.

Bill Ord

JudgeMental - 2009-10-17 10:38 AM this is agood idea and will add to shortlist on new van...... maybe call these people, they should at leat be able to advise or try Gaslow? and get the parts and fit/get fitted locally? http://tinylink.com/?BWEjpd82Mg

Many thanks for the link Judge, I'll check it out.

I'm more than competant to carry out the work it's just that they're reluctant to supply the fittings to 'Joe Public' in case he bodges the job and ends up driving around in a ticking bomb!!

W2G

Bill Ord - 2009-10-17 10:51 AM Hi, As an alternative you might want to consider fitting a heater running off the engine cooling system. My Rapido runs this system and it is very effective but you will need space for the heater matrix. I believe that Rapido now fit the Secumotion for space heating on the move; it's probably cheaper. Bill Ord

Thanks Bill I'll add that thought to my short list of alternatives :-)

W2G

Bill Ord - 2009-10-17 10:51 AM

Hi,

As an alternative you might want to consider fitting a heater running off the engine cooling system. My Rapido runs this system and it is very effective but you will need space for the heater matrix. I believe that Rapido now fit the Secumotion for space heating on the move; it's probably cheaper.

Bill Ord

I can vouch for the effectiveness of these units W2G and of course they alleviate using that precious gas. They don't take up a great deal of space in a locker but they're not cheap. I think a retro-fitted Webasto unit might cost around £1,000 - so it might be worth shopping around.

V

Struth, cheaper to dig out my old parka :-)

We only need the en-route heating for the odd weekend in the winter and our annual trip to Europe in December for the Christmas markets.  I have a feeling the retrofit is gonna be too expensive to justify having done.

I wish I'd known about this facility when I ordered our MH in 2007.

W2G

I don't understand why the pipe should need to be increased in size.  If 8mm is adequate for the connected appliances, it should surely remain adequate via the SecuMotion regulator?  Perhaps Truma could clarify?

Having said that, we have the SecuMotion system on ours (factory fit), with auto-changeover between cylinders.  I needed to get an appropriate pigtail for our French cylinder, and John's Cross were able to supply, and I able to fit, without difficulty - although they had to order the part.

One thing to be aware of is that, at least on ours, the Eis-ex heater (stops the regulator icing up in cold weather) is included, so a 12V supply to feed that is also required.  I can't find any additional control for this, so assume it is wired to energise whenever the heating is turned on.

That apart, if your van already has a Truma/GOK regulator, the SecuMotion item appears to be little more than a straight swap, and fitting should be little more complex than fitting an exchange regulator.  The pigtails are essentially the same as any others, except for the incorporation of the anti-rupture valves, and the fittings at either end are as for any others.

Despite all the above we have never used the gas appliances en route (except during meal breaks), but the gas locker is a fag to access, so the cylinder valves are just left on full time.  I rate the convenience of that alone worth the cost!  So far, it has performed faultlessly.

Thanks for the comments.

I too was surprised at the change of pipe.  The combi boiler manual says nothing about "if you install the secu-motion you need to beef up the piping" and that was confirmed with Truma's reply.  I just wonder why Swift has done it.  Perhaps they'll tell me when I hopefully get another reply from them in the week.

The manual and Truma give the impression it's just a case of one out and one in, plus the pigtails, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I've emailed Truma and Swift again to get an exact answer so hopefully I can get a clearer picture soon.

I'll let you know how I get on ;-)

W2G

Vernon B - 2009-10-17 3:33 PM

Hi,

Bill Ord

I can vouch for the effectiveness of these units W2G and of course they alleviate using that precious gas. They don't take up a great deal of space in a locker but they're not cheap. I think a retro-fitted Webasto unit might cost around £1,000 - so it might be worth shopping around.

V

Whilst certainly not as cheap as in the first instance as Secumotion, supplementary on-road heating from the engine (as in my current Rapido and previous Benimar) needn't be as prohibitively expensive as inferred above.

A complete heating unit and all parts to fit can be had from CAK Tanks for in the region of £200. You'd need some electrical, mechanical and carpentry skills to fit, however.

I've never fancied running gas heating whilst driving, and can vouch for the fact that, in both vans I've had supplementary coolant-driven heating in, it has output significantly more warmth than the main vehicle heater.

I think the fitting of Secumotion to the newer Rapidos in place of the coolant-based heating is very much a retrograde step (but does appear to be cheaper to buy and simpler to fit for the convertor)

Vernon B - 2009-10-17 3:33 PM

Hi,

Bill Ord

V

I think that there may be crossed ideas here, the Rapidio heater uses engine cooling heat (sic) to heat the fan matrix and control is by 12v switch from off to hi blow. Summat like this

http://www.kenlowe.com/hv-systems/heating.html

Dont know the price but cheaper than a Webesco and relatively easy to fit.

Rgds

Edit : someone got there first ;-)

Archived