Austria

ronboyracer

ronboyracer - 2009-10-17 1:13 AM

We are planning a tip next year to Austria, not been before, can anybody give me any tips on scenic touring routes there and back, and any other info that might be usefull. :D

We were really only passing through this year, from Budapest to Prague, so can't help much with touring routes, but I can point you to a free stopover for visiting Vienna if that's any help.

Car park at Kritzendorf train station has a fully-equipped "Aire" (sorry, Stellplatz), room for several vans, and regular trains into town. Take earplugs though - you're near the track!

We are probably going back to Austria this year as we want to explore more of the eastern part of the country .

We went a few years ago and found the Ziller valley well worth a few days mooching around to the point where we promised ourselves the repeat visit.

Innsbruck was also worth a couple of days.

We entered the country through Fussen and then started to head east and that time we were ditracted by the scenery of the Tyroll.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Until recently our trips out and back have always had to be interesting without being too slow, only having the 3 weeks or so for the holiday.

Usually Calais area first night, then belgium m'ways to Luxembourg for cheap diesel then south east out towards Permesens and Dahn for the night. Across to Karlsruhe and on towards Stuttgart then either towards Garmisch and Innsbruck or Munich.

We spent an interesting few weeks visiting first Salzburg (sound of music anyone) then back into Germany to visit Berchesgarden (Hitlers Eagles Nest) and Lake Konigsee and on again to Zell am See for 10days or so (plenty of bike rides around the lake, trips up the cable car, a drive over the Alpenstrasse in the Hone Tauern Park)

Moved on again and visited Krimml waterfalls and some amazing reservoirs and a hydro scheme near Mayrhofen I think, before coming back on ourselves and going north to Kitzbuhl, and discovering how steep the Haninkahn(?) (the downhill ski run) is.

Then across to innsbruck and north to Garmischthen Stuttgart and the same route home.

We like a bit of site seeing, a bit of culture and the big outdoors both under our own steam and thro the van windows.

There's lots to see and do.

We stayed on campsites on that trip our van wasn't equiped for aires

cheers

alan

Archived