A Frame Towing of a Smart Car

BarnacleBob

Hello All,

I am considering towing my Smart car on an A Frame but before commiting I would very much appreciate any advice from others already towing Smarts using an A Frame.

My Smart owners manual says don't tow at over 30 m.p.h. and not for more than 30 miles. Smart dealers I have contacted are unable to say why this is other than " it is not reccomended" but I understand that only seems to apply to Smart U.K. not their Continental and American cousins.

Their seems to be plenty of Smart cars being towed by motorhomes up and down the country so has anyone found a problem with towing a Smart? If so what is it?

Hi i have towed a Smart passion for 3yrs now France Spain Belgium on a braked a frame with no problems whatsoever except having to keep checking it was still there mine is an 04 plate but i dont know about a new one if there is any difference but there is lots of experience out there and i am sure they will respond JAKS (lol) (lol) (lol)

Hi there, i have been towing an 07 smart which is the new 1lt model on an Aframe (braked) with out any problems for the last year, and i travel doing roughly 55mph when towing, just had its service (b) and no problems have shown up as yet

Have towed my 2002 Smart on a Towtal A Frame for thousands of miles. Just got back from France and did over 2500 miles. Some times towed for 4 hours non stop at 60 mph on auto routes.

Things I find you MUST DO before you tow a Smart Car.

1. Check oil level, top up if needed. Smarts can use quite a lot of oil.

2. Check hand brake is off

3. Check gear selector is in neutral, turn on ignition and check N is showing on dashboard.

4. Double check by starting engine ( Wont start if it is not in neutral)

5. Turn off and take key out of ignition, this LOCKS the gear selector.

6. On a braked A Frame check that the brake cable is not too tight otherwise brakes will be slightly on. If too slack brakes wont work on Smart when you brake. If you hear a thud when braking then cable is too slack.

7. If the Smart has an alarm do not lock the doors / set the alarm as it will go off as you tow.

Hope this helps

Pete

• 1 month later...

We towed a Smart car on a braked A Frame in France Spain and Portugal this year (2009). The only problem we had was the bonnet blew off the Smart car whilst near Narbonne on the motorway. It was exceptionally windy though. The bonnet dragged along the floor and needed replacing. Since then, we have the reversing camera switched on when towing and we attach a bungee across the bonnet.

We saw plenty of police on out travels and no-one stopped us anywhere though other people we met had been stopped in Spain for towing a bigger car on an A Frame.

Lin

messerschmitt owner - 2009-10-19 2:43 PM

don't worry - the makers of the box say it is fine - so you can ignore the 30 miles - just make sure the car is genuinely in neutral before attaching it to the motorhome.

This is very true. Friends of ours tow their Smart Car on an A-frame bar. They had put it into neutral without pressing the brake pedal. As a result the engine was turning in the car all the way from Northumberland to Dover.

As they were going onto the ferry the engine in the car fell out spilling oil on the ramp. They had to get a new car as a result.

They still tow their car on an A-frame bar but have learnt the lesson and make sure it is definitely in neutral.

I have a Smart Car that I trailer behind my Motorhome. I feel personally that this is a better option and saves wear and tear on the car and its tyres.

Yup, absolutely agree with M.O. on that. I always reverse the MH to approx a yard in front of the Smart, then pull the car physically onto the towball...it's pretty apparent when it's in gear.

Don't forget the bungy cord around brake pedal...the feature on the Smart that momentarily holds the brake on to assist with hillstarts will cause the brakes to wear otherwise.

• 8 months later...

Bumping this old thread rather than start a new one.

I'm thinking about getting a smart with a view to towing and I see that they come in manual, semi-auto and automatic.

Can you tow all three? And does anyone know if the semi-auto can be driven on an auto only licence?

Has anyone heard or seen anything re the T.25 COncept Car? I think the designer is Gordon Murry of McLarnen fame!

My info is that it could be "on the road" next year- it appears to be light years ahead of the Smart Car and absolutely ideal for mhomers!

BTW is it not time the legal position re A frames was attended to by the appropiate authority or a "test case"?

Frank McAuley - 2010-08-15 5:00 PM

Has anyone heard or seen anything re the T.25 COncept Car? I think the designer is Gordon Murry of McLarnen fame!

My info is that it could be "on the road" next year- it appears to be light years ahead of the Smart Car and absolutely ideal for mhomers!

BTW is it not time the legal position re A frames was attended to by the appropiate authority or a "test case"?

Are you volunteering?

Stuart

Frank McAuley - 2010-08-15 5:00 PM

Are you volunteering?

Stuart

Archived