Would I come to rue that extra metre?

Vernon B

I always believed that God decreed that 6 metres was the perfect length for a two berth motorhome. A fixation for fixed beds, larger crumple zones, and the perverse thinking of the manucturers has largely knocked that notion on the head. I'm not suggesting that the breed has completely disappeared but I might well have to adopted the "if you can't beat em, join em" principle to widen the choice for a new 'van.

So here's my concern - would I regret having that extra metre behind?

Having being doing this thing for about 10 years at home and away I've become very comfortable (competent?) when driving a 6 metre A class and since a fixed bed jobbie would come with a garage to take the cycles I could convince myself that I'm only adding another 20 inches. But is that the reality? Has anyone gone through this "extension" and regretted it?

V

Go for it Vernon!

I suppose it's easy for me to talk, coming in just under FIVE metres, but mine has to double as a car.

If it's purely a motorhome, my instinct would be to look at what will make you comfortable for "living" - and fixed beds are certainly well up in the top few! You'll get used to the extra inches (don't we all! :-D ) just as easily as you did when you first drove a MH instead of a car.

Guest JudgeMental

Mine is 6.6 m and has large bed and massive garage for all the stuff. I find it fine and we are now looking at single rear longitudinal beds, with a smaller garage for our next van (as the wife does not like climbing over me*-) )

Some can be had at around 6.8m but the lounge is a bit tight. I would not like to go more then this to be honest 7.0 max.......

Hi Vernon

We had a Swift 590RS which was just under 6 metres, we then downsized to a Rapido 709F at 5.53 metres which was a joy but eventually we found it too restricted on space when we were spending more time in it, especially in winter. We then changed to a Rimor Sailer 645 TC, at 7.14m it's quite a big beastie but it does have a double dinette, brilliant kitchen with loads of worksurface, a nice big washroom with separate shower, 2 door fridge/freezer, large wardrobe and a massive fixed rear bed. To date, we haven't really found the extra length a problem but we do tend to park a minute or two further out and get the bikes out to peddle into town centres etc in the UK, abroad it is much less of a problem.

Ultimately, it depends on how you intend to use your 'new' van. If you like to be able to park close to towns etc, then the longer the van, the harder it will be to find a spot big enough, but if you tend to leave it on site and use your bikes or public transport then that won't be an issue.

Our 1st 'van was around the 6 meter mark and was quickly followed by a 7 meter. We are now on our 4th (just ordered the 5th) Frankia all over 8 meter. This one 8.49.

To be honest we don't really notice the extra outside dimensions - We rarely use camp sites and stay on Stelplatze in Germany and Aires in France and usually seem to have enough room.

Some folk have asked what it is like to drive this size of 'van and my reply is usually - the same as driving a small one - my wing mirrors are the same distance apart as yours and if they go through you ain't leaving the rest behind!

We had a Compass 115 5.5 mtrs which we thought was ok until we purchased our Ace Airstream 680FB 7.0 mtrs as a vehicle the extra length is not a problem , but as a fixed bed motorhome the extra size is fantastic the whole aspect is more relaxing its amazing how much roomier it seams best thing we have done in years was to move up in size

There is one main difference to driving a longer motorhome compared to a shorter one - you have a bigger bottom! That means that you need to take just that little bit more care when turning corners to make sure you rear end doesn't prang anything. Even turning into a side road from a main road needs to be considered a little as your bottom can swing out into the oncoming traffic, or into the lane next to you. Not a major problem but you do have to be aware of it.

Thanks all - invaluable to have those first hand experiences and encouraging to see there's a pretty positive concensus emerging - a somewhat unexpected outcome for this forum!

Take your point about pay load Brian. I think I'm on top of that but have noted that it's not simply matter of looking at the overall limits. It seems to me that axle loads become even more important in these situations, especially when a garage is involved, and it's a pity this information is missing from most of spec sheets.

V

I bougt a new panel van just under 6m used for 4 nights realised I had made a big mistake traded in in ( lost 10,000 euros) for a 7.2 m coachbuilt.

Moral of this story you soon get used to driving whatever it is you have but you never get used to a small bathroom and 10 mins to set up your bed etc etc.

Brian makes a very good point about weight we are supposed to have 400kg pay load so the manafactures say but I cant see it 2 persons and 2 dogs no water minimal personal stuff and still we run 50/75 kilo over weight I even keep diesel down to half a tank at a time.

In the 3 motorhomes that we have had, each one has increased in length, and even I have no difficulty adjusting to the new lengthwhilst driving and have always enjoyed the more spacious living area etc.

I see this as no different from changing from say a smart car to an estate car, just remember your bum follows wherever just sometimes it's larger and swings about more!!

It all comes down to confidence

Vernon B - 2009-10-18 9:46 AM ............ Take your point about pay load Brian. I think I'm on top of that but have noted that it's not simply matter of looking at the overall limits. It seems to me that axle loads become even more important in these situations, especially when a garage is involved, and it's a pity this information is missing from most of spec sheets. V

Two more points for you to weigh up when considering which van to go for. 

First width.  Many of the European made vans now exceed 2.3 metres wide.  Not a problem generally if you usually travel on main roads and motorways, but things can get very tight if you travel on minor roads, although perhaps more so in some European villages than in UK generally.  If all you want to do is belt down to Spain/Portugal for the winter, and then belt back again, you'll be fine.  However, if you want to explore the backwoods, you may find something a little narrower gives greater peace of mind.  Versions of the Hymer Excis come to mind.

Second axle load.  It will almost certainly be the rear axle that gets clobbered, more so if the rear overhang is substantial (as seems likely).  Do remember that any load added behind the rear axle (than nice big, inviting, garage for example), adds more than its self-weight to the rear axle load, while deducting load from the front axle.  Not necessarily a general problem provided the rear axle remains within limits, but hill starts on wet roads, leaving grass pitches when wet, and any frost/ice, can cause severe loss of traction (wheel spin) with front wheel drive chassis.  If the layout is as you describe, I'd look hard for a RWD chassis to carry it!

We have actually been considering going the other way with our van - changing from 7.14m to aroun 6m. Not because we can't handle the length or anything, and the extra space is lovely as is the big utterly comfy massive bed, but because we have been considering getting rid of the car and just having one vehicle. One thing that concerns us though is the vastly reduced space and possibly storage too ...

At the moment we've decided to keep the status quo into the new year and review our needs then ... why? All will be revealed in due course .... patience, children, patience! :D

We started with a 6m vehicle, with a rear lounge that had a made-up bed that was uncomfortable. We swapped it for a 7.5m vehicle with a fixed transverse bed over a low 'garage' that hit all the buttons for space, comfort, facilities.... it was a pleasure onsite and no more difficult to drive on good wide roads & motorways .... BUT....

Being longer/wider we sometimes found it difficult to get parked (especially in the UK), we used to park the 6m vehicle in many public carparks but ended up leaving the bigger vehicle onsite more often & using public transport. We even ended up missing out places we wanted to visit on our travels because we could not get parked.

It occasionally grounded the rear corner steadies on hairpin bends too. The extra length meant a longer rear overhang, so you had to be more careful when manouvering especially with low street furniture poised to take chunks out of the rear skirt.....

This year, we 'downsized' again; we managed to find a vehicle just less than 6.5m long, not as wide or high, but still with a fixed bed. It does feel a bit cramped compared to the bigger one & we have had to sacrifice lounge space & some facilities in the kitchen but we have already been able to get to places we would not have considered taking the previous vehicle to, including some campsite pitches we would not have been able to get the bigger vehicle on.

The new vehicle is more nimble, manouverable, has better ground clearance, less overhang & as a bonus we get better fuel economy too, although that would never be sole grounds for making the change

I made the same mistake as you when down sizing from car and caravan which incidentally had a fixed bed.I plumped for a lunar x star at 6m with rear lounge.Bad mistake, the wife soon got sick of the nightly jigsaw of bed making plus my bad back got worse. Result we traded x star in for swift bolero 680 fb and now were both happy.

We had a 6.2m Rapido with fixed rear corner bed and found that was acceptable using it when we visited the UK (NorthWest) but then we changed to a 7m Laika, more or less the same layout but with a rear garage. When we came over to the UK in July we both said that if we were to go back to live in the UK then this van would be too big and we would have to downsize. Possibly just having one vehicle. But over here because there is less traffic and it is easier to find parking spaces we can get away with a larger van. Whatever you have it is a compromise.

Archived