Dongles

mac111051

Hi Mac

You have first of all a choice to make: do you want a PAYG one or a monthly contract one.

The PAYG ones mean that you are not stuck in a contract and can just top up as and when you need it, but this does mean that they are more expensive to use than a contract one if you want a high amount of MB available.

The only PAYG that I'm aware of that doesn't 'time out', ie the credit doesn't expire at the end of 30 days, is Vodaphone. With all the others if you don't use the credit, you loose the balance as it doesn't carry forward but resets to zero.

If you do want to use it every month, then you might be better off with one of the cheaper monthly contract deals.

One thing to look at though is the coverage, some are bad for certain areas, some are okay.

There have been a few postings of late where similar questions have been answered, have a go at the 'search' function for 'dongle' setting it to a date limit of 'a year'.

If you only want to us it in the UK you'll be okay but if you intend to use it abroad I wouldn't bother as it can be very expensive.

I have a '3' broadband dongle and use it all the time as I don't have land based broadband (or phone). I've been with them for around 20 months now and currently pay £7.50 a month for 5gb (half the normal rate as I get a 50% continuing customer discount). There are other 'plans' though if you don't need 5gb, or if, indeed, you need more!

I to use the 3 dongle on the £7.50 tariff but find it almost completely useless and will not continue with it when contract runs out. Depnds on where you want to use it but in North Wales, where I live, works nowhere, in Scotland for five weeks last year and only worked at Edinburgh. Almost no where in Devon and Cornwall this year, same in lakes, Yorkshire Moors and Peak district.

mac111051 - 2009-10-17 6:02 PM

can anyone recomend a dongle , I just want to recieve and send emails while in the van, thanks, Mac

Hi Mac, I see you are a Virgin customer. If you are on broadband with them using their "L" offering you can get mobile broadband for £5 a month, I know because I have just done so. I only wanted mine for e-mails and it does that ok. If you look on their website it mentions it there.

I had a T-Mobile dongle on a two-year contract which was very expensive but allowed access to the internet in areas without 3G coverage at a dial-up speed. During the time I used this dongle I only ever found one campsite where I could not get some sort of signal. Now the contract has ended I am in the process of having the dongle unlocked so that I can use it with another company. My mobile is with O2 and I have unlimited internet access with my monthly subscription so I emailed them and asked if I could remove the SIM from the phone and use it in the dongle. The answer was affirmative. I am in France at the moment so have not attempted to verify either the unlocking of the dongle nor the use of the O2 SIM card in it but keeping my fingers crossed that it will work.

rupert123 - 2009-10-18 2:32 PM

I to use the 3 dongle on the £7.50 tariff but find it almost completely useless and will not continue with it when contract runs out. Depnds on where you want to use it but in North Wales, where I live, works nowhere, in Scotland for five weeks last year and only worked at Edinburgh. Almost no where in Devon and Cornwall this year, same in lakes, Yorkshire Moors and Peak district.

It also varies depending on which model of dongle you have, my older one wasn't as good (but was still very usable) as my newer one which is one of the best you can get.

Have you tried getting a good quality extension lead for it to move it to a different spot to receive the signal? Just a few feet can make a heck of a difference.

Mel, I would be interested to know the number of your new dongle as I too find it difficult to access the internet in quite a few places using 3 and I also use it all the time at home as I have no landline. The one I use is the HUAWEI E160GHSDPA USB stick.

Vodafone PAYG probably best option, very cheap to use. First time I used mine 4 hours browsing & downloaded 70 emails cost 50p.

Only place not been able to get a signal has been Blackboys in Sussex, Mobile phone keep dropping out there as well on o2 & 3.

Credit does not expire on the Vodafone dongle providing you log on once in every 6 months. Costs £39 including £15 top up, Top ups £15/ meg, had ours since March only used £7.

Mel B - 2009-10-18 7:14 PM

rupert123 - 2009-10-18 2:32 PM

It also varies depending on which model of dongle you have, my older one wasn't as good (but was still very usable) as my newer one which is one of the best you can get.

Have you tried getting a good quality extension lead for it to move it to a different spot to receive the signal? Just a few feet can make a heck of a difference.

It came with an extension lead and I have tried moving around with it. The model is Huawei E160G, no idea if their is a later or better one.

lennyhb - 2009-10-19 8:00 AM

lennyhb - 2009-10-18 8:16 PM

Credit does not expire on the Vodafone dongle providing you log on once in every 6 months. Costs £39 including £15 top up, Top ups £15/ meg, had ours since March only used £7.

Typo meant £15/ Gig

That sounds more useful then! Do you know whether you can purchase the SIM without the actual dongle as I should have one if the unlocking works?

rupert123 - 2009-10-18 8:53 PM

It came with an extension lead and I have tried moving around with it. The model is Huawei E160G, no idea if their is a later or better one.

I've currently got the Huawei E1750, a nice sleek black number, before that I had the Huawei E220 a fat white one.

Patricia - 2009-10-19 9:56 AM

lennyhb - 2009-10-19 8:00 AM

lennyhb - 2009-10-18 8:16 PM

Typo meant £15/ Gig

That sounds more useful then! Do you know whether you can purchase the SIM without the actual dongle as I should have one if the unlocking works?

Sorry Patricia, the answer is no. I tried recently to get one for my old dongle so my mum could have a go on the internet, but Vodaphone said they don't do just dongles.

This thread has been fantastic for me so thanks to all of you. Firstly, thanks Mel for info on the 3 dongle. I will investigate your number as mine is the 160E, sleek black like yours but maybe not the best. At home I also have another 3 dongle which was free but no idea what number that is. The E220 sounds like the one I had with T-Mobile which I am unlocking.

Anyway following the Vodaphone suggestion I looked on their site and noticed a computer with a mobile attached as a modum. To cut a long story short I have contacted O2 a few times today by email (they have been brilliant and replied within the hour each time) and I can do the same with my mobile: no need to take the SIM out or pay for PayGo or even to buy a data cord. I have everything and my normal monthly phone tariff covers unlimited access too. Everywhere I have been I have had no problems getting a signal with O2 and it works perfectly at home too. Connecting with the phone is great but the screen is quite small so for searching the net or for typing it will be much better using the computer.

Not attempting to connect of course while still in France as too expensive but will give it a go halfway across the channel!

Thanks everyone! :-D

PS Searching for a French PayGo SIM card now for internet access but haven't found one yet although you can get one for calls. If, and when, I find one will try it out in the spare dongle. Still haven't got the Orange dongle to work yet.

Archived