'Aires' in Italy/Germany + touring in Poland

Guest Judy

Touring for 4 months, starting April. having spent a lot of time in France & Spain, intend this time to spend time in Italy and Germany as never been before - we understand 'aires' (equivalent of the french ones)are available in both countries -any info from others who've used them would be appreciated. We may also try Poland. Anyone motorhomed there - any advice/info on ease of driving/campsites etc will help us decide whether to go for it.

Guest Mel B
When we went to Germany last year for the first time we didn't have a clue but found that there are lots of Stellplatz (the equivalent of French Aires) all over the place, we found a few by accident but a guide of some sort would've been a great help. Since then we have bought a book which gives the locations of the stellplatz which is produced by the ADAC, Germany's top vehicle recovery agencies. There's a couple on ebay at the moment at 16.90 euros which I think includes free postage but my German isn't that good! (We got ours off ebay). Not a clue about Italy I'm afraid ... that'll be another adventure sometime!

Guest Ian Stewart
Having used both publications, I've found the Stellplatze Bord Atlas produced by Reise Mobil magazine to be better than the ADAC one. It contains around 3,300 locations ! If you're a member of the Motor Caravanners' Club, you can get it from them for £15.95, otherwise try Amazon.de (the german site) which is where I get my copy of the DCC (German Camping Club) camp site list each year. HTH

Guest Rodger
Hi Judy, We travelled down to the toe of Italy in May 2002. There were very few sites open on the west coast south of Pompeii. The scenery was great, the welcome was - well Italy is known for the mafia. The east coast was a little better. I would love to go again but as we generally travel alone not to sure as to how or when. Have only travelled in the Crakow area of Poland. Lovely scenery, interesting old towns. A visit to Auschwiz is a thought provoking part of the trip. Anyone not wearing a uniform is friendly and helpful. Only visited one campsite, Camping Clepardia and it was very good. Fuel is expensive but food and bus travel is very good and very cheap. Enjoy the trip. Rodger

Archived