Southern France Aires : Quick Update

robertandjean

Managed free wi-fi connection at tourist office in Narbonne so here is a quick update re aires in this area:

Narbonne (The one by the park and ride,not Narbonne Plage) This will close on 31 Oct this year for works (more electric points,credit card entry etc) But up to then is free including services and electric hook-up. So get here quick for this never to be repeated offer!

LaRedorte and Trebes are closed and will not reopen.

Peyriac-de-mer Parking for motorhomes, next to etang, now closed to vans but vans still staying without problem. New official aire opposite side of road, with free services, next to stadium (campsite?) charged at 5€/night in season only now free.

Carcassonne P1 can stay overnight. Charges complex, but works out around 10€ for 24 hours depending on arrival time. Best to arrive late when day visitors gone. Fresh water not working but can dump no charge. All spaces slope but worth it to visit city at night.

Lagrasse. Parking and services free. Lovely old sleepy town with abbey.

Will give more details on these and other aires on return, as relying on wi-fi as dongle too expensive in France.

does this look like aires are closing or now , or more will be charging? I expect the french vans will still find places to stop, or will "create" new ones.

have found french and german vans parked outside on verges near the sites in Avignon. You can't really blame them, allowing Brits an Dutch to camp "free" when we don't have a simalar scheme in this country, don't know about Holland. i still think the French camp site are good value for money, if you go for the municipal sites. We don't all need , all singing dancing, pools for our stay

PJay - 2009-10-19 5:19 PM

have found french and german vans parked outside on verges near the sites in Avignon. You can't really blame them

We parked on the river bank by the camp site, opposite the city last year. It's a 'parking aire' on my Tomtom POIs.

There were several other parked up too.

Hi,

No we do not think that there is a trend to more aires closing; aires have, for various reasons, always closed whilst new ones are opening all the time. Yes more are charging, particularly for services, but still represent much better value for money than anything U.K. has to offer. Take where we are now on aire at Narbonne. At the moment staying here is free including hook-up and services; it should be 7€/24 hours and will be when reopens after works. But at that still a great deal given also the free bus into town, free wi-fi at tourist office (desks and chairs povided) and coffee at 1€ a cup sat in the historic town square. (Think Caravan Club charges a little more for Wi-Fi on its sites!!) Must go, off for that cup of coffee.

i was on the free aire at la grand motte this summer, and in mid august we all got a police notice that the aire was closing as from 1st sept,and we had to get off, some of the french campers were saying it is only a tempory measure, does anybody have any further info on this

We are just back from 4 weeks in France, using Aires exclusively.

We noticed a definite trend towards charging, there are still many excellent free Aires but some that were free on our last visit are now charging.

I suppose 3 -5 Euros is not to bad with free everything including electric.

I was a bit surprised to find one Aire charging 5 Euros for 100 litres of water though. I went somewhere else.

Geoff

Archived