What Happened There????

catinou

Visited the NEC on Sunday - only because some kind soul sent us 2 complementary tickets, as we didn't enjoy it last year - when we paid for 2 days and overnight camping :-S

Driving up we wondered if we would see the really nice sales rep who sold us our very first motorhome a few years ago. OH asked me to write a list of things we wanted to look for on the way up so we didn't waste too much time "wandering". Just for a giggle *-) I wrote "buy new motor home" at the end.

OH waved to somebody as we walked through from the entrance and I turned to see our favourite salesman walking between the stands. After the usual "hellos" he asked what we were looking for at the show and me being me, I said "a new motorhome" - expecting laughs all round (>)

Something started from that point and after a couple of coffees, an unconcentrated look round the other stands, lunch, another wander, and we were back chatting and drinking another coffee. Minutes before the show closed we wandered out feeling very happy - with a signed copy of the order for ........yep! a new motorhome (and nothing else from our list) *-) :$ :$ *-)

I should have realised I was on dangerous ground writing my "joke" addition to our list, especially as OH had fallen for the new one last year but I had vetoed it as the kitchen area was awful - now updated and superb :-D

Has anybody else done this? It is a second for us as we went to our first show to look for bikes!!!!

Still, we now have something really good to look forward to next Spring and they did take our present one in PX at a very good price ;-)

A really lovely - Burstner Aviano i728G.

I'm sorry, we really couldn't stop ourselves :-D

Our present MH is great but we knew we would change it before we reitre completely (just waiting for hubbie to catch up...) as the outside storage is not very user friendly for larger items, hubbie hates climbing over me to get out of bed in the morning (corner fixed bed), we both find the bathroom area much too "cosy" and with the pleated blind frames the view from the driving seat is very obscured I'm told (drove it once but decided I was a better navigator!)

The new model has a large garage for the bikes etc., twin beds which can convert to a huge double, and is an A class so the view when driving is much better......not to mention the "extras" I phoned through the next day - the winter pack - heated waste water tank, pipes and under floor heating; front fog lights, extra leisure battery..... (OH will only know about these additions when we pick it up as they are my present to him - hoping to hurry the "long trips")

I know it all costs a lot of money, but our sons have been very successful and only want us to leave enough for funerals (their words!) and you can't take it with you.*-)

Roll on April! B-) :-D

Yes, the same happened to me first in 2000 and then 2007.

Just looking at layouts the first time and then have a 'nice day out'.

After 40 years you would have thought that I would have known :-S

However, been very pleased with both 'impulse' buys.

Just done the same although bought new van 2 weeks before visiting NEC. Went to NEC on the saturday to order the new shaped bedding sheets, mattress cover and memory foam topper from 'JONIC', who supplied us with our last lot. Ended up coming away with two fold up 'BATRIBIKES' , well you can't put a bicycle rack on a vehicle that is already nearly 29ft long can you :D

catinou - 2009-10-21 2:19 PM

I know it all costs a lot of money, but our sons have been very successful and only want us to leave enough for funerals (their words!) and you can't take it with you.*-)

Roll on April! B-) :-D

Too right you can't take it with you - Enjoy !! :-D :-D

hi there, visited the NEC to do some research into our first motorhome. My first choice was the Burstner Aviano 640G a really nice MH. Having looked at other A Class we have decided on the Pilote742, but I still wonder if we are making the right decision. We are looking for something to spend maybe up to 6mths in Europe eventually and like either the single bed set up or an island bed for ease of access/exit. We have arranged to test drive the Pilote as we have only driven a coach buid previously. Also should we go for Fiat or Merc (more cost!) 3L engine

Any advice?

Regards

Philip & Helen

Well, Phillip and Helen, for starters take a bit of time and read this thread;

Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect (4) Pages: 1 2 3 4 and the other 2 or 3 that have gone before on the same subject.

Welcome to the forum.

I see that Catanou still hasn't said what the base chassis is of the new van.

It seems to me that there is now a lot of scaremongering going on in relation to the Fiat Ducato X250. The problems were with the newer 2.3L manual gearbox. I have had a Fiat Ducato 2.8L manual for 5 years and have had no problems whatsoever. The write ups on the 3.0L Comformatic automatic 6 speed has had rave reviews both in magazines and on this forum.

I have no problems with people having prefernces for different base vehicles, each to their own but when someone asks for advice let's not confuse the issues with misleading statements about all FIAT engines.

Hey-up ... hold on there Big Momma .... I don't think telling someone about the threads that informs of problems with Fiats is scaremongering, by reading them they can at least be forewarned to ask the 'right' questions and then decide themselves whether they are willing to take the risk, no matter how big or small, with their base vehicle choice. We too have had the previous versions of the Fiat and not had a problem with them on the whole.

I too have read the reviews on the 3.0L comformatic but as there are so few of them out there in relation to the 2.3L manual it is not possible to say that they are 100% okay just because no one has yet reported a problem. Similarly you cannot catagorically say that all 2.3L manuals will definitely have a reverse judder problem, but there is a chance that quite a few will unfortunately.

We were seriously considering changing our van recently but have decided to keep what we have which has proved to be 100% reliable (oh I do hope I don't regret saying that!) - this was mainly because the choice was so narrow due to our not wanting to take the risk of having one of the affected Fiat/Peugeot base vehicles. We intend to use our van for longer trips and may even do away with a car, so getting a van that may end up having major problems is a definite no-no for us as we simply would not have any transport at all, or not be able to go to the places we do (bit like Andy S - up mountains and down dale!).

Mel B - 2009-10-22 8:35 PM

Hey-up ... hold on there Big Momma .... I don't think telling someone about the threads that informs of problems with Fiats is scaremongering, by reading them they can at least be forewarned to ask the 'right' questions and then decide themselves whether they are willing to take the risk, no matter how big or small, with their base vehicle choice. We too have had the previous versions of the Fiat and not had a problem with them on the whole.

I too have read the reviews on the 3.0L comformatic but as there are so few of them out there in relation to the 2.3L manual it is not possible to say that they are 100% okay just because no one has yet reported a problem. Similarly you cannot catagorically say that all 2.3L manuals will definitely have a reverse judder problem, but there is a chance that quite a few will unfortunately.

We were seriously considering changing our van recently but have decided to keep what we have which has proved to be 100% reliable (oh I do hope I don't regret saying that!) - this was mainly because the choice was so narrow due to our not wanting to take the risk of having one of the affected Fiat/Peugeot base vehicles. We intend to use our van for longer trips and may even do away with a car, so getting a van that may end up having major problems is a definite no-no for us as we simply would not have any transport at all, or not be able to go to the places we do (bit like Andy S - up mountains and down dale!).

Big Momma - 2009-10-22 10:08 PM

Mel B - 2009-10-22 8:35 PM

Ooops, sorry pressed wrong button :$ and i guess my last post pressed a wrong buton as well. Apologies, didn't mean it to come across as harsh as it did. I guess my response was incited by other posts on those that seem totally anti-FIAT. Been a long week ;-)

Having read a lot of the posts on problems with the Fiat gearbox I was sorry for the people who had the misfortunes.

I also worried a bit about ours - thought that after a while we would have the same. I am pleased to say that, after 2 1/2 years, our 3ltr with a normal 6 speed box has not given one moments trouble - it reverses up hill and on grass with never a twitch. No I am not being smug about it but thought I would just put the other side of the story in.

We have been so pleased with it that we have now ordered the new Frankia (due to arrive for 1st March 2010) on a Fiat too.

I have driven the Merc and been less than pleased with the example I was loaned. When compared with the Fiat / Alko tag they are like chalk and cheese with the Fiat handling and performance being, IMHO, far superior. Yes the Merc has rear wheel drive so a bit better on a muddy field but the Fiat with a lowered Alko gives a far better ride - you get barely a twitch from passing lorries and can throw it into a roundabout without coming out on the other side feeling sea sick.

I am not knocking the folks who have posted problems - far from it as it pays to be forewarned but I have noticed a number of posts on the subject from people who haven't even driven the new Fiat.

Catinou

Ido not think you are the first and definitely not the last to go to show with out any intention of buying (other than the all essential things that you can not do with out!!).

I am interested in your comments on your Dakota 2007, this is a van that we are seriously considering, the side fixed bed and bathroom size are not that much of an issue with us, but any other points good or bad that you have about the van I would be interested in hearing, It would be nice to hear these so that when we look at the next van we will see if it a concern for us. Every one has there own I can live with that or not.

Archived