No Lunar Motorhomes at NEC.

Rayjsj

Being intrested in a specifically Renault Master based Motorhome and British built if possible, I contacted Lunar via their website, they sent me a large package of motorhome brochures, (2 weeks before the Nec show!).

So, we went to the Nec with high hopes of looking at the 2010 versions of Renault based Preston-built motorhomes, especially the X-Star and Telstar..... guess what, NO Lunar Motorhomes....None.

I knew that the Belgium sourced ones wouldn't be there, because Home-Car had gone bust with 'Tirius' or whatever they were called. But I did expect the Preston built ones to still be there, But evidently Lunar are not producing Motorhomes any more..... and havn't for many,many months (according to a 'Spokesperson' on the caravan stand). So, why send me brochures for 'non-existant' motorhomes ?? Why are Lunar Motorhomes STILL listed in the MMM new motorhome Buyers Guide ?? Why the big secret (to me anyway!! most of the dealers seemed to know of course !!)

Result, I travelled 260 miles to be dissapointed. a bit peed-off.

Only bright spot, bumped into Clive Mott-Gotobed and his good lady, thanked him for his technical help/advice over the years.

8-) >:-) >:-)

Does anyone else have any information concerning Lunar ??

They are definately still making Caravans (their stand at the Nec was 'buzzing' with customers).

Only I still fancy a Telstar or an X-Star, only problem now would be the availability of spares of course. But as Lunar are still in business and are members of the NCC, surely that shouldn't be a problem ? I'm sure that to remain in the NCC they have to provide spare parts for upto 8 years.

Does anyone know any different ?? (NCC = National Caravan Council )

Or does this sound too much like Avondale (RIP) ? :-(

Guest Tracker

Most UK based converters are members of the NCC - more of a makers club than a regulating body maybe - but it does not seem to make a lot of difference judging by how long and how difficult it can be to source many parts for even almost new vans?

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!

Lunar's decision to concentrate solely on caravan production was widely reported in leisure-vehicle magazines. Browsing through November's MMM suggests that brand-new Lunar motorhomes are still being marketed however (see page 194), so Lunar brochures and the MMM Buyers' Guide Lunar section may still have relevance.

As far as I'm aware, the only European manufacturer currently offering COACHBUILT motorhomes on a Renault chassis is Notin - a French company that has no official UK presence.

According to "Le Monde du Camping-Car" magazine, the new Renault Master is due for release in Spring 2010 and the expectation is that motorhome manufacturers will begin to offer Master-based vehicles in their 2011 collection (ie. by around September 2010). Apparently the only firm information currently available on 'New Master' is that its development code-name is X62. LMdCC suggests that its frontal styling will follow the 'look' of the latest Renault car models and that the cab driving-environment will be much more car-like than previously. Motors will have more power/torque, but be of reduced capacity. These are just educated guesses though, based on the changes introduced when other makers of light-commercial vehicles have revised their ranges.

With the present Boxer/Ducato/Relay chassis being so attractive (on paper at least) as a coachbuilt motorcaravan start-point, it's hard to see the new Master making much impact on the coachbuilt motorhome market unless it's something very special indeed.

It was nice to see you and your young lady also Raymond. I did not know about Lunars decision for sure until after we spoke when Dave Hurrell wized me up. How many Lunar models still exist at dealers is another question. Our round trip distance was not dissimilar to yours. Any excuse to take the van out has to be good though, doesn,t it?

Good luck with the quest

C.

having owned a Preston built lunar moonstar 2008 year .  i would think twice about lunar .look at all the posts on other sites .on first looking at quality it seems very good but after a few miles and sleeping in van things start to fall a part ,but so do other makes some will say .they still make caravans but you don't hear them falling to bits every door rattling all the kitchen moving ,it had never been screwed down, when towing a caravan do you . 

Rayjsj - 2009-10-22 10:50 PM

Being intrested in a specifically Renault Master based Motorhome and British built if possible, I contacted Lunar via their website, they sent me a large package of motorhome brochures, (2 weeks before the Nec show!).

So, we went to the Nec with high hopes of looking at the 2010 versions of Renault based Preston-built motorhomes, especially the X-Star and Telstar..... guess what, NO Lunar Motorhomes....None.

I knew that the Belgium sourced ones wouldn't be there, because Home-Car had gone bust with 'Tirius' or whatever they were called. But I did expect the Preston built ones to still be there, But evidently Lunar are not producing Motorhomes any more..... and havn't for many,many months (according to a 'Spokesperson' on the caravan stand). So, why send me brochures for 'non-existant' motorhomes ?? Why are Lunar Motorhomes STILL listed in the MMM new motorhome Buyers Guide ?? Why the big secret (to me anyway!! most of the dealers seemed to know of course !!)

Result, I travelled 260 miles to be dissapointed. a bit peed-off.

Only bright spot, bumped into Clive Mott-Gotobed and his good lady, thanked him for his technical help/advice over the years.

8-) >:-) >:-)

Hi Rayjsj

I was the proud owner of a Renault based Lunar Telstar until I lost it in the worcester storms two years ago, I currently own a Lunar Roadstar 620 bought new but on the old model as I would not have one of the new x250 Fiats if I was given one because of all there troubles, I two wanted another Renault but could not find one on a suitable convertion, I did see one X star but the price the dealer wanted for it was dearer than what they where new.

I have been told by the Lunar dealer that I use that you can still order a motorhome from Lunar, but this is the only way they will make them.

I disagree with dshaque about build quality as I have found mine a supereb buy and have had know trouble at all.

If you are going to try and buy second hand I think the Xstar a better arangement with the end lounge.

Terry

RonB - 2009-10-24 10:43 AM

Actually Derek, I would have thought that purchasers would very much welcome an alternative chassis to Fiat given the ongoing problems it has.

Ron

Not sure that motorhome purchasers will matter much. The SEVEL X/250 comes in such a a variety of potential bases - panel-van, 'standard' chassis-cab, low-floor chassis-cab, Al-Ko chassis-cab, 'standard' chassis-cowl, low-floor chassis-cowl, Al-Ko chassis-cowl, several different powerplants, 2- or 3-axles and the option of an auto-gearbox - that it's hardly surprising that motorhome manufacturers choose to use it pretty much exclusively.

I don't think there's any evidence that buyers en masse deliberately chose to move away from SEVEL-based motorhomes, even when the reversing problems became common knowledge. Besides which, by the time Renault-based motorhomes hit dealer forecourts it's likely that the current SEVEL 'juddering' problems will have been suitably addressed. (Well maybe!) Anyway, would you like to risk buying a motorhome based on a completely redesigned Master with no history to judge whether it won't have its own unpleasant teething troubles?

Derek Uzzell - 2009-10-24 8:22 AM

Lunar's decision to concentrate solely on caravan production was widely reported in leisure-vehicle magazines.

Derek,

I saw no hints of this in MMM ? (although if anyone can point out where, I apologise) I don't read many other Motorhome mags. and NO trade magazines of course (maybe I/we customers SHOULD!) But I DO read MMM cover to cover. When Avondale ceased motorhome production to concentrate on Caravans, It WAS widely discussed, but didn't appear to save them unfortunately,a Shame as their products were Good.

I agree that the Fiat X250 does look good 'on paper' it just seems to be converting it in to 'Reliable Metal' that Fiat have trouble with. Some People (so they say) have vans that don't judder, others DO, I don't care what the percentage of 'Bad ones' is, knowing my luck i would get one.

How in these days of Robot Assembly and precision is this possible ??

I am just unwilling to 'Gamble' with my hard earned nest-egg.

Still looking for a Tried and tested Renault !! Ray :D :D

Clive - 2009-10-24 1:45 PM

It was nice to see you and your young lady also Raymond. I did not know about Lunars decision for sure until after we spoke when Dave Hurrell wized me up. How many Lunar models still exist at dealers is another question. Our round trip distance was not dissimilar to yours. Any excuse to take the van out has to be good though, doesn,t it?

Good luck with the quest

C.

Thanks Clive, i did look for Dave at the Show but never bumped into him,

You are right of course, we stayed at the 'New' Harbury fields farm(ex CL) CC site at Leamington, then down to a CL in the New Forest (not telling)

to look at a private sale 'Preloved' van, which we have now decided to buy.We did go to several dealers in the area as well, living where I do (Fishguard) they are a bit 'thin on the ground'. Anyway thanks again for your help,

my next 'task' will be to fit an 'MMM special buy' reversing camera to the 'new' van,when it arrives. I'm now off to Hitchhike to the New Forest. Happy motorhoming !! :D :D Ray

Archived