Newie

Griffo the bear

Just took the plunge and changed from a caravan to a motorhome. We have bought( deposit only at this stage) a Hymer T 547 2005 model with fixed bed and good shower room as these were our main wants. It is on a Fiat 2.8 chassis but reading some of the forums there seems to be some problems with these could anyone enlighten me further.

As far as I'm aware the only well known 'general problems' with the Fiat Ducato chassis used for the motorhome you are buying are that the cab-heater is pretty feeble and there can be wind noise from the cab door seals.

There were plenty of Ducato 5th-gear failures up to about 2002, when a different gearbox was introduced that seems to have stopped the rot. The on-going juddering-while-reversing saga is only relevant to vehicles produced from mid-2006 onwards.

Should be nothing nasty to worry about with a 2005 Ducato.

Griffo

I have a Fiat 2.8 2005 and have not had any problems with it. I agree with Derek, the heater is useless, think all wind and noise and no hot air. Plenty of grunt and reverses like it should, even up hills, a lot less problems than the latest x250

alan

Hi

Agree with previous posters, we have a Hymer 2006 model, 2.8 JTD, bought new, no problems. Although it did have to have a new gearbox fitted, it was nothing to do with the juddering problems of the new X250's. The one before that was also a Hymer on the same engine, again, no problems whatsoever with that.

Wouldn't buy a new FIAT now, with all the problems, and it amazes me that so many people are still buying them.

Ina.

Welcome to the forum Paul,

Not that many Hymer Tramp owners in the UK, ours is on the X250 chassis and we have been very pleased with it. A very practical van we only changed from a caravan last year and we wished we had changed years ago.

You may be interested in the' Hymer Club International'

http://www.hymerclub-international.co.uk/

Hymer584 - 2009-10-23 11:02 AM

Wouldn't buy a new FIAT now, with all the problems, and it amazes me that so many people are still buying them.

Ina.

I'm with you in that, there just does'nt seem to be much choice though, at the Nec last week, over 90% of vans were on Sevel chassis's, even Autotrail stopped the Miami on a Renault, and Autosleeper no longer convert onto Fords (no more Duetto or Amethyst !) And as I've said elswhere, no Lunar's on any type of chassis. The Market really has shrunk,

for UK produced van's. :-(

Evening sir, I'm very new to Mh's too and have a 2004 Fiat 2.8JTD. We recently completed a long(ish) trip from Worcester via Appleby, Lockerbie, North Berwick, Alnwick and Richmond before returning home. We averaged 27mpg. I'm very pleased with that return to be honest given that the previous owner's best was 23mpg. So...... an average of around 25mpg?

Griffo the bear - 2009-10-23 8:35 PM

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES TO MY FIRST QUESTION

NEXT ONE IS ANY ROUGH IDEAS WHAT MPG I SHOULD EXPECT FROM 05 FIAT 2.8

Our current MH (2006) and the one before that (2003) are/were both 2.8JTD, on our last trip into France we did 2400 miles and overall averaged just over 27MPG, which is typical for all our trips, and we are pleased with that.

It depends of course on driving style and terrain, we don't usually do over 60MPH, in France we usually "potter" at around 55 or so.

Griffo the bear - 2009-10-23 8:35 PM

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES TO MY FIRST QUESTION

NEXT ONE IS ANY ROUGH IDEAS WHAT MPG I SHOULD EXPECT FROM 05 FIAT 2.8

Our last van had a Fiat 2.8 and according to wifes diary, which she keeps of our travels, it averaged 28mpg. This was on a van weighing 3300kg when fully loaded.

Guest Tracker

It does not seem to matter much which van or which engine as they all seem to do between roughly 22 and 30 mpg and on the number of miles that most vans do each year the difference between the two extremes is only a few quid per year and in comparison to the depreciation and other standing cost is quite frankly peanuts.

It is more important to get the right layout and speaking personally I would rather pay the few quid extra to have the pulling power, hill climbing ability, cruising ability and overtaking urge that a bigger engine gives and the day I need to worry about fuel consumption is the day I give it all up!

Our 2.2hdi Peugeot Starburst does about 28 mpg over some 14000 miles and whilst I am not known for hanging about neither do I thrash it unduly.

I like to keep a diary of where I buy fuel and what it costs as it reads like a gazetteer of Europe over the years and although I don't much care how much fuel it uses as I just want to go and enjoy the expereience, working out the mpg for different journey types interests me too - sad innit!!

Rayjsj - 2009-10-23 9:21 PM

Ina.

Autosleeper no longer convert onto Fords (no more Duetto or Amethyst !) :-(

Just looked at Autosleeper on-line and it shows coachbuilt Windsor is still current. Is it just the van conversions that have been dropped ??

Mike

mike 202 - 2009-10-24 2:09 PM

Rayjsj - 2009-10-23 9:21 PM

Ina.

Autosleeper no longer convert onto Fords (no more Duetto or Amethyst !) :-(

Just looked at Autosleeper on-line and it shows coachbuilt Windsor is still current. Is it just the van conversions that have been dropped ??

Mike

Mike,

Not sure, we liked the layout of the 'Broadway EL Duo' and asked if they did a similar layout on ANY other chassis (it's on a Peugeot), the Autosleeper Rep. (not a dealer salesman) said ' they don't convert onto Fords any more' and did'nt elaborate. Ray

PS

More 'on topic' i get 22-23mpg from my 1988 Petrol talbot talisman.

havn't things 'progressed lovely' . :D :D

Hi Rayjij

Auto-sleeper still do manufacture on another chassis.

Have a look at the County range on the Merc edes, dealer specials for Marquis. (I understand they were both ultimately owned by the SEA Group, but not sure of the connection between Auto-sleeper & Marquis since the Auto-sleeper management buy-out from SEA)

John,

I know about the Marquis/Autosleeper Mercedes range, they are very very nice, but also very very pricey. It was the Ford based Autosleepers that seem to be 'dropped' for 2010, I have an Autosleeper October 2009 pricelist from the NEC with NO Ford based units in it , just Peugeot and VW panel vans. Shame, the Duetto must have been a good seller for them.

Sorry to keep 'banging on about it' but all I could see at the NEC was LESS choice for the customer. And yet, a lot of 'Silver surfers' with nest-eggs earning no interest in the bank looking for new vans.(but also wanting good value for their money) Ray :D :D

Rayjsj - 2009-10-25 12:14 PM

John,

I know about the Marquis/Autosleeper Mercedes range, they are very very nice, but also very very pricey. It was the Ford based Autosleepers that seem to be 'dropped' for 2010, I have an Autosleeper October 2009 pricelist from the NEC with NO Ford based units in it , just Peugeot and VW panel vans. Shame, the Duetto must have been a good seller for them.

Sorry to keep 'banging on about it' but all I could see at the NEC was LESS choice for the customer. And yet, a lot of 'Silver surfers' with nest-eggs earning no interest in the bank looking for new vans.(but also wanting good value for their money) Ray :D :D

I agree entirely Ray

Had a trip to Marquis today (small warranty job)

The Merc are not only very pricey, but appear to be very high also.

They dwarfed our Autocruise Sportstar Low Profile.

Archived