Trends in new French vans

robertandjean

Visited the camping-car show at Narbonne yesterday, where most new modles from major French makers were on show. The lowprofile, half-dinnette, side seat and fixed rear bed remains the most popular layout on offer (our own choice). The main change, and the one creating a lot of interest, is the addition of a drop down front double bed to this layout. We did not really like this as when down space really is limited. A variation was one van with a U-shaped rear lounge with the drop-down bed set over this. This apart other changes appeared mainly cosmetic. Regarding price then the days of purchasing vans here in France at "bargain" prices have certainly gone with the falling pound. Most low profile fixed beds were coming in between 45000 to 60000€, making our Swift Escape seem really good value. The Fiat remains the clear cab of choice for converters. Any worries regarding "juddergate" did not seem to be putting off buyers as we saw ay least 20 people buying in the time we were there.

Guest JudgeMental
regards these new drop down front beds. While I agree the lounge can not be used in this arrangement, it does mean that for us we can now get a low profile van and can still accommodate our teenagers without having a large luton.

Guest Tracker

I've not seen the latest take on coachbuilts with a drop down bed but my feelings about A class drop down beds see them as unattractive because they lack headroom and a headboard to enable sitting up in bed reading or even drinking an early morning cuppa - as well as the issue of clambering up and down and across to get in - not convenient for convenience excursions.

That said the mattresses are usually very comfortable and bed size good!

Guest JudgeMental

On reflection I am not sure this will work for us.....I posted a pic of the new Adria matrix on another thread, smashing looking van, and the forward bed can be brought down to almost knee high so not the normal A class climb.

BUT it is well over 7m long. another thing is it is not much lower then my hightop. it is 2.8 high and mine 2.9m. all these do is move the hump back from the front a bit but it is a more attractive van. It appears these beds need a decent sized lounge so tend to be in longer vans........ Will have to wait till a show next year and see whats around. waiting for 2011 Euro 5 transit anyway

Archived