Tom Tom one XL

Stuart

My unit sits on the desk at the siide of my my lap-top when not in use.

Over the past six weeks or so, it has come on spontaneously three times. So far as I am aware the house is not haunted. Has anyone had a similar experience, or can offer an explanation? Is there a cure for it?

TIA

Stuart

It is obviously aroused by living so close to your laptop, and is probably going to attempt mating, look for a small palmtop with GPS capability !! soon.

I suspect the Wifi signal is causing the tom-tom to get 'confused' (a technical term!!) ;-) ;-) Ray

That's just about the sum total of what's going on, spurious signals was one term we used, they will travel through all your various items of equipment all the time. I used to run some electrical machinery that would turn on next doors radio as well as my own, plus the telephone when it was off the stand.

Take a 1inch cube then try and assess all the signals that pass through it every second, many millions, from the solar system to next doors dog!

bakersboy - 2009-10-24 7:47 PM

My unit sits on the desk at the siide of my my lap-top when not in use.

Over the past six weeks or so, it has come on spontaneously three times. So far as I am aware the house is not haunted. Has anyone had a similar experience, or can offer an explanation? Is there a cure for it?

TIA

Stuart

Is this the reason mine always seems to have a flat battery everytime I go to use it ? 8-)

Could also explain why our M/H alarm is activated for no apparent reason (?) >:-(

It's apparently a 'feature' and lots of people suffer with the same problem.  Have a search on the TomTom web site to see if there is a resolution yet.

Shouldn't cause much of a problem if you have it set to turn off when it senses no current.

W2G

It happens all the time on my XL Europe and the battery is always flat when not in use.

The other day the Tom Tom (which is in a drawer) told me to turn left as I was watching TV. I took it out of its case and it showed the map of my location. Its incredible how it manages to get a signal from a drawer and in its case. Gone are the days when external aerials are required.

If you go into 'Battery Saving Preferences' you should find an option to 'Switch off when external power is lost'.  Tick the box and save it.

This won't stop it turning itself on but it 'should' turn it off again as long as it's not attached to a power source.  Might give you longer periods bewteen running the battery flat.

W2G 

Our Tom Tom 1 with Europe mapping will only hold the battery charge for a few days but as we keep it in the van we are not aware if it is turning on and then flattening the battery. Our problem is that after about 3 hours use it will loose satellite signals. This only happens in France, usually around lunch time. If we remove it from the 1/4 light and position it on the table behind us, where we can't see it, it comes back to life. The only reason I can think of which may be causing the problem is a heat reflecting coating on the windscreen which may be blocking signals when it heats up thereby reflecting the satellite signals as well as sun light. This could also be the reason we don't get a problem in this country, no sun light! Does anyone else have a problem like this with their Tom Tom?

Way2Go - 2009-10-25 8:26 AM

If you go into 'Battery Saving Preferences' you should find an option to 'Switch off when external power is lost'.  Tick the box and save it.

This won't stop it turning itself on but it 'should' turn it off again as long as it's not attached to a power source.  Might give you longer periods bewteen running the battery flat.

W2G 

Hi, Nice to know it's a "feature" Where can I find Battery Saving Preferences" ?I have a TT 1 Bill Ord

I don't think the battery saving options will stop this problem. It only appears to work if you are connected to an external power source and then interrupt the power. If you turn on just with internal power it continues to work as normal.

Bill Ord - 2009-10-26 4:04 PM
Way2Go - 2009-10-25 8:26 AM

W2G 

Hi, Nice to know it's a "feature" Where can I find Battery Saving Preferences" ?I have a TT 1 Bill Ord

Hi Bill,

It's in Change Preferences | Battery Saving Preferences and is on menu 7 of 8 on my TT 710 using version 8 software.

W2G

Archived