Ferries IN Norway

Mel E

Guest Mel E
We're planning to drive up to North Cape in the summer. I've got all the info I need (fantastic camp sites details, for example), except about ferries IN Norway. I NEED TO KNOW about all those short distance ferries that run across the fjords, etc, their timings, frequencies, vehicle size limits, costs and so on. All my internet searches raise are ferries TO Norway or special excursions in Norway. Can anyone who's been there help?

Guest fjmike
We went up to Nordcap a couple of years ago on a motorcycle. From what I remember all the ferries are arrive and drive, the costs were quite resonable for Norway too.What you will have to watch out for are the tolls that are imposed on most of the city roads, being on a bike we didn't have to pay but I did notice many times there were tolls that were at the side of the road (ie easily missed) If your taking the overnight ferry from Newcastle stay up late to see the oil rigs lit up, very spectacular. If you are going to visit nordcap be aware that there is a hefty charge for the tunnel that connects the last bit and on top of that you have to pay to enter nordcap itself.I think the ticket lasts about three days and when we went there were several motorhomes camping there, at least I think they were motorhomes the mist was so thick that you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, which we were told is quite common.

Guest Mel E
Thanks fjmike, but I need to know about any size restrictions. You could get a motorbike in a large rowing boat, but not our 'van. Is a 3.5 tonne van likely to be a problem anywhere. I'm aware that Norway is like Switzerland: everything costs a lot more. But it's a big country with only 4.5 million people to share the tax burden (plus a few barrels of oil, of course!).

Guest graham
When we were in Norway about 3 years ago it seemed length was the critical factor. From memory prices shot up at 6m or above (our van is 5.5m so I didn't pay that much attention). Have you tried the Norwegian embassy in London for info on ferries.

Guest Cattwg
Hi Mel, we are planning a similar trip. Go to www.visitnorway.com, click on winter brochures and you will be able to order, amongst others, the Fjord Norway travel guide. It contains lots of ferry info. However I can't see an answer to your length question. But it does contain web addresses and tel. numbers so you may be able to ask. I wrote to the MMM Travel Consulatants and received some very useful general info. They also try to help with specific questions - so you may find the answer there. Our van is a little under 6m so we are hoping to be classed as a car. If you do find a definitive answer please post it. Regards Cattwg

Guest ALAN G
The ferries are part of the road network and operate very efficiently. Turn up and wait a while and drive on with about 50 to 150 other vehicles. Don't remember the prices but for our 16 foot van they were much less than we expected.If you are Pensioner age you will get a discount of I think about 10% except on the Geraingerfiord (excuse spelling) as it is mainly a tourist trip. The guides to the ferries mention so many trips a day and they dock at places which, quite often are nowhere near a town. The tunnels are something else. Quite often they are badly lit so with beam deflectors you have difficulty coping with a sometimes poor road surface. We found it rather alarming to be on our own for about five miles in a tunnel one Saturday afternoon. However the tunnel from Flam is 23 km and depite our misgivings about using it it is well lit with stopping places. All the tunnels appear to be free. Some of the bridges have tolls but no pensioner discount. When we went (2 years ago)they were collecting tolls at unmanned booths near Trondheim for a road that they were starting to build. The road was certainly needed but there appeared to no warning of the tolls and luckily we had enough coins to cope. Not sure what happens if you don't. Road widths vary often and there is apparently a road sign somewhere showing the danger of two vehicled colliding sideways. This does't deter the Italians who seem to like travelling in convoy at high speed. All the locals we met spoke good English. Have a good holiday. I'm trying to get back this year. There is so much to see.

Guest malcd
We went to North Cape last May.Drove up thru' Sweden and back down Norwegian coast. Absolutely brilliant! Our Murvi Morello van is just about 6 metres with bikes on the back. Ferries no problem - just turn up - most of them take about 30 or 40 vehicles and are frequent. In fjord area they run every 20 minutes or so and are not expensive (up to 6 metres). They were running up to about 11pm in fjord region. Entrance to North Cape expensive - cost for two people going thru' tunnel onto Mageroya island ( and return ) plus 'entry' to North Cape centre was about £65. No problem with roads. A bit narrow at times.Don't plan to get too far in a day because you will want to keep stopping to take in the scenery. Take plenty of film (or disc space ). Not many tunnels up north but lots 'down south' in fjord area.Didn't give us a problem but a few were a bit gloomy. Watch out when you turn off into laybys - it seems that the road is often resurfaced but the laybys aren't and sometimes there's a 'drop' of several inches. Didn't see any steep mountain roads. Some have long climbs but maximum gradient we found was 10 percent. Food a bit pricey especially in remote areas. Going in May / June in never got dark. Trip of a lifetime ! Have a good trip all you lucky people who are going this year.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Mel E Sorry if this is a bit late but only just joined. No problem with size you just pay about double for being over 6metres. We found out later that if you arrive early or later at the visitor centre at Nordcap when the booth is not manned you just drive in free, saving about £40 if there are two of you.

Archived