Are we the only ones who walk? UK-sites wanted.

Herri

I posted this on Site Speak and had zero replies.

This forum is always active so I will try here:

My wife & I love to stay at sites where it is possible to leave the Campervan and walk.

Not only walks as in rambling but also: walk to the pub/shop/village/bus stop.

We prefer small sites with 220V (CLs. etc) but any with above attributes would be considered.

Most site-reports in magazines seem to assume that all motothome and caravan drivers want to drive somewhere.

I know there are a few CC-sites like Bristol and York which are close to the cities but does anyone know of any others or decent CLs close (walking/ 1mile) to towns and villages?

I'll start with a good one and hope others will follow:

Barnham CL near Chichester. 20 min walk to village. Pubs, Restaurants, shops. Train station with good connections to Arundel, Portsmouth (IOW) etc. Road noise if you park on the side close to road but otherwise lovely.

Start with the guides from the clubs and then a very good way to find out where a camp site is in relation to the nearest village or town is Google Earth. It also has a walking and public transit (not always available) option on the directions tab. Combined with Google maps you should be able to find out the details you are looking for.

Roy Fuller

Absolutely agree with you Herri, we love campsites where a footpath leads either to a pub or a village, towards the sea or into the mountains!. I have noted your recommended site.

I think this calls for somebody to write a new guide! (two already sold!)

Good idea though to google earth it before you book!

I have one recommendation: Just above Lynmouth/Little Switzerland (somebody might know the name?) It's behind a pub and a footpath leads from the Campsite down into the Gorge (Watersmeet) or down to Lynmouth.

Herri

If historical cities are of interest (like York) the CC have a site just off J62 (A690) near Durham. From here you can walk the short distance back over the motorway roundabout to the Park and Ride facility to get into the city - just a pity that the local authority hadn't included aire type overnight parking at the P&R when it was built like the excellent motorhome aire at the P&R just outside Canterbury - just off the A2/A28 junction.

David

The Caravan Club site at Hawes is superb for walking. When we had a caravan we stayed there for 8 nights and, even though we had a car, it never left the site from the day we arrived to the day we left. We've been back there quite a few times with the motorhome, as it is so good for walking.

We've walked from that site in every direction possible I think, also there are pubs and shops in Hawes which is about 15 minutes walk or so.

Other sites in Yorkshire include CC sites at Grassington, although it is a lot further out of the village than Hawes, but superb walking country, also Strid Wood near Bolton Abbey. That has no shops or pubs or anything within walking distance, but does have lots of walking.

A CL with hard standing and electrics, Leo Farm just above Ironbridge, steep descent down into gorge but if you like walking it should be no problem.

A CS Moor Farm, Weymouth, hard standing toilets and electrics, pub easy walking distance, country walks and bus into Weymouth. I think in peak season it actually leaves from the site!

peedee

Guest Tracker
Freshwater East CC site is right on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path as well as having one of the best beaches in the area just outside the gates.

Have you tried posting your enquiry also on the 'Walkers' forum ?

As I have recently mentioned on another post, our current Motorhome is too big to take off site so we either walk, cycle or use local transport both in UK and Europe and have never not been able to get anywhere we wanted.

If you use the Caravan Club and Camping & Caravanning Club websites to look at sites in areas you fancy visiting they give a good description of the site, local public transport (if available), local walks and other useful bits of information about places of interest and places to eat.

When I was looking for a campsite near to Snowdonia I went on the local Tourist Information website where it gives information on 'accommodation' which includes camp sites. It also gives an event diary to tell you what is going on in each month.

Just using Google and typing in 'Campsites close to walking routes' also throws up some useful links. We also have the British Waterways Books which shows all the UK Canal Systems, looking at the maps you can see the camp sites symbol so just type the name of the local town/village in to 'Google' and you can find some lovely sites near to the Canals and where there are canal boats there are waterside pubs that serve good food at good prices :D

The best site we found was Keswick - Caravan and Camping Site, which is on the edge of Derwenidioter, 5 mins from keswick town centre, with plenty of pubs and restaurants and 5 minutes from hundreds of walks over the mountains. You do need to book early though as it is very popular. There is the Oval Site next door which is a bit smaller, but does not have the spectacular views over the Lake. You can catch the buses from the end of the road or use the Lakes taxi's to get around. We usually go about 4 times a yet, weather permitting. It does flood regularly if they have a lot of rain, but this has only been a problem for us once in 10 years.

I knew this forum wouldnt dissapoint me - thanks everybody for the response and keep em coming.

I do look through the guides and google. I also have the complete ordnance survey of the uk from memory map on my notebook.

But although with a lot of research you can find the location, its just you never know what you are getting until you arrive. (nice kept field, views, friendly people etc etc )

Being as you are so good, I'll let you have another little gem:

Alfriston CL. Near Seaford, fantastic walking, pubs, shops, restaurants very close and Seaford a (7km).walk along the river for the energetic

Kepp it to yourselves though as I want to go again next year.

Try the C C C c. l . at Frogham in the New Forest I have just had a week end there, it is behind the Foresters Arms public house but is owned by the adjacent farm. There are no electrics there just water and a toilet dump. The pub serve excellent meals and the walking from the site is second to none, with the New Forest at your door, we saw lots of Deer, collected Chestnuts, and the Forest ponies are just getting their shaggy winter coats and look very smart. There is another site nearby at BLISSFORD ,this one has electric but is a bit further to a pub although Sandy Balls ,the big commercial site is just up the road and you can use the facilities there, there is a Rally at Blissford this coming weekend and would be a good time to try the site out, the Rally is on an adjacent field. Frogham C L costs £4 a night ???? :-> :->

Stayed last month at Stratford on Avon race course site ,20 min walk alongside the river passing the theatre and Will,s grave .And if you stay on site on race days you can drive your m/home into the centre of the course , park it next to the finishing post and the tote (get there early) 2 nights with hook up £25.

Cliff

SHREWSBURY

Oxon caravan site is 200 yards from local shops, supermarket, takeaways, and even less to P&R (you can use P&R without car and over 60 bus pass gives free rides).

Somewhat cheaper but a great site is Brookdale Farm, 01743 360821. Half a mile easy walk to town centre, bus within 5 mins and local shops 10 mins away. Google Earth SY1 4DA. Railway line is a minimal problem, much preferable to usual road noise. The approach is not the most scenic but once on site you are in a haven. Eryl and Vin, the owners, are great - try one of Eryl's apple pies if you can.

Peter

• 1 year later...
Hi, in answer to your forum letter in MMM Sept. 2010 issue. No you aren't the only ones who walk. We do it all the time, or get the bus or the train. We've done so in Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Luxembourg and the UK. Although we live in East Yorks. my home town is Todmorden on the West Yorks./Lancs. border in the Pennines and they have a lovely Caravan Club CL on the Cricket Club. We stay there when I go to see family. It's in the heart of the town and only 5 minutes walk to numerous facilities and next to one of the most beautiful parks in the UK and you've got some decent moors to go at right at the back of the 5 pitches. The club house is also open in the evenings. 6 miles by bus and there's the pretty village of Hebden Bridge. Rochdale, Burnley & Halifax can all be reached by bus or rail within 20 minutes. And for the truly magnificent, search the net for Camping Hobby 3 in Interlaken. I couldn't recommend this site highly enough for walkers. And I have to say we meet far more people walking and on Public Transport than we would if drove everywhere.

Archived