winter breaks

cruiser

Hi all...

Just back from a non-motorhome holiday in Lanzarote (well it happens to the best of us) and I'm back to Irish Winter weather with holiday goggles on.

We're thinking of maybe trying to get away in future for maybe three or four weeks at a time in the motorhome to a warm location in the Winter months.

Any tips on a low cost way to drive from Ireland to somewhere pleasant for a Winter break...i.e. possible destinations, best route, cost whilst there etc..

someone must have done this or is doing it now?

Thanks in advance for brilliant ideas and informative replies.

Oh....look outside. It's raining. :'(

Two weeks there and two weeks back, I can't see how you will be able to get to anywhere where it will be warm for sure. Some days maybe, but other days not. If you go to some of the weather web sites you will see what average temperatures to expect but I think you have just been to the best place (Canaries) for winter warmth. Having said that the further south you can get the more chance you have of milder weather.

I have recently completed a tour of Spain in just 25 days so yes it is possible if you have the budget. I say that because noting you are in Ireland you need to get to mainland Spain or Portugal relatively quickly so you can enjoy some time in the warmth. Not sure if there are any ferries that go direct to Spain from Ireland but if not you could cross to mainland and then get ferry from Plymouth to Santander or Portsmouth to Bilbao.

Alternatively, why worry about the warmth. Take some thick socks, woolly pully's and warm duvet and just head off. France/Germany are fantastic places no matter what season you travel and the French Onion Soup or Goulash makes any chilly day better !

Guest Tracker

If you overnight ferry from Rosslare to Fishguard or Pembroke Dock a very easy day's drive will get you to Southampton where another overnight ferry to Le Havre will, if you have a cabin, get you fresh and ready to roll bright and early next morning.

If you cross via Dover it is much cheaper but is also further and you still need a night's kip!

Cross from Portsmouth / Plymouth / Poole to Northern Spain and you will save a day or two driving but at the cost of a long and expensive sea crossing.

From Le Havre two fairly easy days to cross France and three more to cross Spain will see you in Gibraltar or Southern Portugal in about a week from leaving home.

The long haul in 6 days- about 1700 miles I think from Pembroke - did not leave us over tired as we always stopped and found an Aire or somewhere quiet by about 5 or 6 pm and tried to limit each day to an easy 300 or so miles maximum.

Hi Cruiser

Just back from Dublin this afternoon and noticed that Norfolk Line ( I think) do ferries to Cherbourg- this should help your planning.We are looking to go to Spain and or Portugal, still to be decided, in Jan / Feb- temperature should be mid 60's. Maybe we will leave motor home on site near Cadiz and get cheap flight to Tenerife for a week if it is a bit cold.

10 great days in Ireland, north & south. I could not believe the north has changed so much in such a short space of time, will definitely be going back in the summer for a longer trip. Excellent sites, lots to do and no language barrier

Bojitoes

Bojitoes - slight digression to this thread but it's important - you must check on the situation regarding your camper insurance if you leave it on site unattended whilst you fly off for a few days elsewhere - you'll probably find it isn't covered!

Bojitoes - 2009-10-27 6:30 PM

Thanks Melb

Good point , will check it out but from memory we are covered for 10 days.

Thanks

I would be very interested to know who you are insured with then if that is correct. I have asked several insurers and none will give an assurance of cover even for an emergency. My husband had a stroke in France and the insurance company would only cover for 36 hours and preferred to pay the cost to fly out a relief driver.

As I travel alone I worry in case I needed to get home quickly in an emergency and Saga have said that they are fairly sure I would be covered in those circumstances but won't give an undertaking to do so.

Archived