Swiss vignette

jennet

We are travelling to Switzerland next year and thought that the vignette was only compulsory if travelling on Swiss motorways. Now we have been informed that the vignette is required for all road use in Switzerland. We have a 3.500 motorhome and will be there for about 7-10 days. Our motorhome does not have twin wheels or a tag axle. It is 24ft long. Can someone advise please?

Janet - So long as your motorhome weighs 3500kg, or less, you only need a vignette when using Swiss motorways and some National and A Class roads. There are not many instances of the later two categories and you can get a map from the Swiss Tourist Office showing all the roads affected.

However, it's a bit of a pain planning an itinerary to avoid these toll roads and at around £25 for a year plus vignette you might not think it worth it.

Ron

PS. PM me if you would like an easy to read official article on the subject.

Iam going to Switzerland next summer as part of our 4th mini-tour of Europe. never had any problems before, just stopped at Border, produced documents and issued with a 12 month Vignette. However, bit concerned now as we are changing the van and the new one weighs 5 tons ? How much is it going to cost me to take my van in to switzerland, had planned to stay at 2 sites for a total of 11 days (!) Looked at Link provided but couldn't see charges, maybe I'm just blind and stupid but if there is anyone who knows the charges I would be grateful.

jennet - 2009-10-26 12:16 PM

We are travelling to Switzerland next year and thought that the vignette was only compulsory if travelling on Swiss motorways. Now we have been informed that the vignette is required for all road use in Switzerland. We have a 3.500 motorhome and will be there for about 7-10 days. Our motorhome does not have twin wheels or a tag axle. It is 24ft long. Can someone advise please?

Vehicles up to 3.5 tons must buy a Vignette costing 40 Swiss Francs and valid for 14 months (1 Dec 2008 - 31 Jan 2010) caravanners/trailers have to buy two.

Payment is easy (Euros, Sterling, Credit Cards or Swiss currency accepted. Exchange rate about 1.84 Swiss Francs to the Pound). If you pay for the vignette with Euros or Sterling you will get Swiss Francs in change.

The vignette can be bought in advance at service areas on main routes approaching the border.

If your motorhome is above the 3500kg weight limit you will need a special permit for one day (3.25 SF), 10 days (32.50), one month (58.50) or a year (650.00). Just make sure you put the dates in for the days that you are travelling if you have the 10 day/monthly/yearly permit. There's a minimum charge (25SF) so don't buy a one day pass.

If you are travelling mid week be prepared to wait as you use the same counter as the truckers.

When we had the Laika (4200kg) we would buy a 10 days pass to transit Switzerland out and back. The ten days don't have to be taken consecutively, so the pass is good for a return journey too, provided it's within one year.

Excellent value, as the motorways include the 10-mile St Gothard Tunnel through the Alps into Italy!

Safe travelling

Don

Big Momma - Yep, up to 12 days you have the advantage but after that the charges get carried away - as Don says up to £650 for a year, whereas smaller vans stay at £25.00.

I'm afraid to comment further on your post!!!

Ron

Just spent two weeks in Switzerland towing large caravan but were not stopped at border, we actually crossed back and forth between Germany and Switzerland four times.

We didn't purchase any Vignets but we didnt use any toll roads.

RonB - 2009-10-26 10:52 PM

Big Momma - Just don't try doing what Syd does. The road charge for heavy vehicles is not a toll as such - it's a general heavy vehicle tax and is applicable to ALL Swiss roads.

Ron

Hi Ron

Does this mean that I should have had a vignette

RonB - 2009-10-26 10:30 PM

Big Momma - Yep, up to 12 days you have the advantage but after that the charges get carried away - as Don says up to £650 for a year, whereas smaller vans stay at £25.00.

I'm afraid to comment further on your post!!!

Ron

Ron Thank you, the plan is to stay 5 nights at Lausanne, crossing from France near Geneva and then up to Sempach for another 6 nights before crossing in to Germany via Basel. So looks as though it will be no more expensive with new van.

No Syd, I just meant that anyone with a van over 3500kg still needs a permit to drive on even minor roads.

Interestingly, a car up to 3500kg towing a trailer/caravan over 3500kg pays a heavy vehicle tax on the trailer but nothing (no vignette) on the car! Confusing or what?

Thanks and have a good trip Big Momma.

Ron

Archived