Home-made wind deflector

arthur49

Hi

Can't find anything using Search facility. About to fit solar panel on roof and also want to fit a small wind deflector on roof in front of it. Sikaflexed to roof.

I know some have already done this. Any tips on materials used and if necessary, how did you mould it into shape?

Many thanks

Arthur

Fiamma markets moulded plastic 'spoilers' in 40cm or 60cm widths and about £10 or £14 respectively (available from CAK). Otherwise, you could just use an appropriately-sized piece of thinnish aluminium sheet bent to an angle so that the slipstream would be deflected over the solar panel. It would be possible to produce a bespoke deflector in GRP, but you'd need to know what you were doing and it would be expensive if you didn't already have the materials.

(Are you sure you need to do this? Unless the solar panel is well forward where the slipstream will clearly hit it, I'm doubtful that fitting a spoiler will have much value as far as wind-deflection is concerned. Might give some (small) protection against hanging branches though, I guess.)

If I was doing it would be 24swg aliminiun, two folds to give 30deg slope and two flats, etch primed and painted, stuck to roof and panel, at both front and back, but we have all equipment and off cuts at work to do the job.

Try a local small sheet metal workers, if we need small amount of commercial material cut and folded it's cheaper for us to go to T&P sheet metal and get them to do job with whatever they have on shelf.

colin - 2009-10-26 7:36 PM

If I was doing it would be 24swg aliminiun, two folds to give 30deg slope and two flats, etch primed and painted, stuck to roof and panel, at both front and back, but we have all equipment and off cuts at work to do the job.

Try a local small sheet metal workers, if we need small amount of commercial material cut and folded it's cheaper for us to go to T&P sheet metal and get them to do job with whatever they have on shelf.

Arthur

If you fabricate one like this, you will need to have a cut-away at the corners to ensure and water is not able to disperse from under the deflector.

Archived