Roof light jamming Autocruise Stargazer

tonyg3nwl

Can anyone help..The rooflight on my van has decided to play up. Heiki wind up type.

The problem seem to be that the latch mechanisms are out of step and one side releases before the other and the partial attempt to open increases the tension on the other latch so it cant or wont let go. The more I try to wind it up, the greater the tension . I found that it is possible to force the latch to release by careful prising the latch back with a suitable blunt instrument, but then attempting to close the rooflight the latch moves forward too early preventing the window closing fully so preventing it locking down.

Has anyone any bright ideas, or detail of how to get inside and solve the problem. I am guessing it may be something to do with the handle driven gearing at the forward end of the rooflight

Has any one a diagram or dismantling instructions or will it be a replacement rooflight job (under warranty ??)

Help please. Tonyg3nwl

I have an Autocruise Starspirit, which has a Remi rooflight and not Heki, so cannot really help. However, if the vehicle is still under warranty then do not ® not attempt to use force or blunt instruments on it. Any damage you might inadvertently cause will possible invalidate the warranty. You paid good money for your 'van, so let the dealer deal with it. :-D

Don't know how far your nearest dealer is, but nip it back to em I had the same sort of prob with my wind up rooflight on me Startrail took it to my local dealers (Richard Baldwin Motorhomes) and they gave it a quick once over, sorted.. nothing is too much trouble for them..been back a few times with those niggly faults... bits of trim etc..... sometimes it's a wait but they do do a great job!! and you get a brew while you wait!!

Had the same problem on my Starburst. There is a small hole in the side of the plastic surround each side through which you can release the catch if I remember correctly. I think my problem was caused by lack of use. Your problem sounds a bit more serious although one of my catches did release before the other. Since I first had the problem it has performed OK. Is one of the catches sticking?

colin weston - 2009-10-29 12:00 PM

Had the same problem on my Starburst. There is a small hole in the side of the plastic surround each side through which you can release the catch if I remember correctly. I think my problem was caused by lack of use. Your problem sounds a bit more serious although one of my catches did release before the other. Since I first had the problem it has performed OK. Is one of the catches sticking?

I now found the engineering drawings of the rooflight assembly on internet, and spent yesterday stripping it down to try to find the problem. It seems that the two sides a driven by a separate spring assembly driven by a central cog wheel from the crank handle gearing. It proved to be a difficult reassembly due to effects of gravity, ( I kept on dropping the small pieces), however it is now reassembled and seems slightly better having attempted to realign each side. It is still not exactly equal but hopefully will be less of a problem. I will also try a small drop of lubrication on the tips of the catches to prevent sticking..

I dont recommend anyone trying to do the same.. because of the reassembly difficulty, unless you are prepared to take the rooflight off completely to work on it the other way up, so when bits fall they fall into place not away from it into some dark hole under a seat or similar!! I admit I was too optimistic that it would be a simple job.!!. However , I doubt if the dealer would have attempted it, more likely it would have cost a new rooflight.

Tonyg3nwl

Archived