Radio=controlled clocks

Peter42

This might appear to be an odd subject here but I know that a lot of motor caravanners have radio-controlled clocks in their 'vans. I have owned one for about 3 years, and every time the clocks are put forward or back (as happened last weekend) mine seems reluctant to update. It is now 60 hours since the change and it is showing no evidence of change. I have looked at the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) website (they control the atomic clock which sends out the signal) and followed their guidelines, which, basically, are to align the clock with Cumbria ( almost due North from my location), take out and replace the battery and wait. When I did so, the hands wound around to the 4o'clock position and stopped. It normally takes about 10 days or so before restarting, despite the NPL website stating it should start within minutes. Does anyone else have a similar problem? Before anyone saying that it must be a cheap import, it was bought from the Science Museum. :-(

I have one of these and it had changed to the correct time by when I got up in the morning. My one also has a 'Foreign' setting where I can set it to local time when I am abroad. I don't think it changes automatically when it is on that setting. Check to see if yours has a similar function, if so change it back to the GMT setting and it should be ok.

Phil.

Clive - 2009-10-27 5:01 PM

Think yours is knackered - (technical phrase)

C.

Thanks, Gents, it certainly seems that mine is knackered, as Clive says, but it has always been like it from new. Perhaps a visit to Argos is called for. Its good to know that they are not all alike.

Guest Tracker
Of all the 'portable' clocks I have bought over the years I have always had the best and most reliable service from the 'Acctim' brand.

davenewell@home - 2009-10-27 7:53 PM

Check that its a UK type and not a continental version, my first radio controlled clock came from Aldi and turned out to be pre tuned to German time signals. Works ok but is usually a week late changing.

D.

I have checked and it appears to be British-manufactured but there is no indication of which signal it picks up. I cannot remember where I purchased it but it has the logo of the Science Museum. Perhaps I'll leave it until next week before I bin it.

Guest Tracker
You do have to wonder about the judgement of anyone who considers that Plymouth is the capital of Cornwall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracker - 2009-10-28 12:52 PM

You do have to wonder about the judgement of anyone who considers that Plymouth is the capital of Cornwall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a well-known fact that there are more Cornishmen (and women) living and working in Plymouth than in any Cornishl town or city!

It is a well-known fact that there are more Cornishmen (and women) living and working in Plymouth than in any Cornishl town or city!

It is a well-known fact that there are more Cornishmen (and women) living and working in Plymouth than in any Cornish town or city! In my book, that makes us the biggest provider of Capital in Cornwall!

Peter42 - 2009-10-27 3:35 PM

This might appear to be an odd subject here but I know that a lot of motor caravanners have radio-controlled clocks in their 'vans. I have owned one for about 3 years, and every time the clocks are put forward or back (as happened last weekend) mine seems reluctant to update. It is now 60 hours since the change and it is showing no evidence of change. I have looked at the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) website (they control the atomic clock which sends out the signal) and followed their guidelines, which, basically, are to align the clock with Cumbria ( almost due North from my location), take out and replace the battery and wait. When I did so, the hands wound around to the 4o'clock position and stopped. It normally takes about 10 days or so before restarting, despite the NPL website stating it should start within minutes. Does anyone else have a similar problem? Before anyone saying that it must be a cheap import, it was bought from the Science Museum. :-(

They sell Science Museum clocks at Argos.

Going from what you've said - had it for three years and that it eventually sets to the correct time, I'd guess that the problem is due to a weak signal being picked up. If this is the case the remedy lies in relocating the clock until it can pick up a decent signal and re-sync with NPL. We've two radio sync'd clocks at home (and a watch) and one of the clocks is very insensitive and has to be moved in order to get a decent signal.

Don't have an accurate clock in the van cos when it it time doesn't matter :-D

Guest Tracker
Dave Tayside - 2009-11-03 12:00 AM

Don't have an accurate clock in the van cos when it it time doesn't matter :-D

Unless you have a ferry to catch!

I never alter the base van dashboard clock when we are abroad then at least I do have a basic UK time to work to when changing countries!

Since the transmitter moved from Rugby many people have had difficulties with reception. Also mine is foreign and you have to set the correct time zone before using and there are twelve to choose from in plus time and minus time so dont give up just yet.

Thanks for all the replies on the subject.

I have checked the batteries, relocated it from the South end of the house (downstairs) to the North of the house (upstairs) and there is no setting for altering the time or the time zone. I have followed all the advice from the National Physics Laboratory to no avail, so I will be doing a drop test shortly (Drop test into the dustbin, that is). But, again thanks for the interest everyone.

Archived