Right, let's see who's feeling brave!

Brian Kirby

Item on last nights local news about paris dakar for 2CV's, the last 'winner' was a woman from this region and she's going again this year. Work collegue is an ex overland expedition leader, he has a dislike of modern all singing all dancing ecu controlled vehicles, the more basic the better for him, he can't understand why I would want to change my T25.

8-) I must be dim.... :$ - the pictures were good, but I found the rest (as far as I could wade *-) ) was less "readable" than my husband's thesis for his doctorate in Gastroenterology......which I proof read more times than I care to remember.......

Probably a good job I leave the "technical" stuff to him and concentrate on navigation and domestic duties.... ;-)

messerschmitt owner - 2009-10-29 2:22 PM

Tomo3090 - 2009-10-29 11:11 AM

You say they know their stuff, but I see no mention of my van and that's the best one in the universe, so they ain't that clever! :-D

is your van rwd?

Is it a Mercedes?

If not, it obviously isn't best for extreme camping then! :-D

And why, pray tell, is Mercedes the BEST for overland expeditions (or as you put it, "extreme camping") :D

D.

Brian Kirby - 2009-10-28 6:52 PM

Found this by chance.  Extreme, but lots of very valuable information contained within a very well, written, and logical appraisal.

If only some of our "normal" motorhome manufacturers would read, and take note of, the contents.

Have fun!! :-)

http://tinyurl.com/3b45uq

You can find this and a lot more on the Silk Route web site.

Brian Kirby - 2009-10-28 6:52 PM

Found this by chance.  Extreme, but lots of very valuable information contained within a very well, written, and logical appraisal.

If only some of our "normal" motorhome manufacturers would read, and take note of, the contents.

Have fun!! :-)

http://tinyurl.com/3b45uq

You can find this and a lot more on the Silk Route web site.

davenewell@home - 2009-10-29 7:27 PM

messerschmitt owner - 2009-10-29 2:22 PM

Tomo3090 - 2009-10-29 11:11 AM

You say they know their stuff, but I see no mention of my van and that's the best one in the universe, so they ain't that clever! :-D

is your van rwd?

Is it a Mercedes?

If not, it obviously isn't best for extreme camping then! :-D

And why, pray tell, is Mercedes the BEST for overland expeditions (or as you put it, "extreme camping") :D

D.

1. - rear wheel drive

2. - parts available worldwide, including the USA!

3. - read the article! It really explains why!!!

4. - here's a smiley :-D

Valid points but what about Iveco Daily? They produce a 4X4 variant with excellent ground clearance and entry/exit angles but the standard unit is rear wheel drive with good ground clearance. Ruggedly built with a separate chassis and parts are available world wide, probably cheaper than Merc too.

No I haven't read the entire article nor am I likely to as there is too much of it and I'm not interested enough. :D

D.

I must admit at the time we ordered our van I did consider the Merc version. However it could only be with the 3.5 tonnes version and you couldn't have a bigger water tank than 85 litres, that and the extra nearly 2 grand made us choose the FIAT chassis.

But as with all things it is horses for courses in this game, with everything from van type to campsite versus wild camping being a point of discussion or abusive argument depending on your point of view!

Archived