Motorhome 'must do' things for winter?

Nice Username

Hello all I'm very glad to have found this forum, recommended to me by a friend. I've been the proud owner of a 1994 Elddis Autoquest (6 berth) since May this year and have already enjoyed many wonderful UK breaks. However this is the first time I've ever owned a motorhome and wondered if there is an essential list of things I must do for the winter. The motorhome will remain on a hardstand outside the front of the house, but do I need to cover it or is that not essential? Also can electrical items freeze? (we have a tv attached to a wall mounted arm). I presume all the loo and water tanks and cartridges have to be empty as well? Have I missed anything? Oh and also do I have to make sure I start the engine every couple of weeks and run it for a while? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to all this!!! :$

Why not use it.

If not just drain down the water tanks, toilet etc.

Give it a good wash and polish.

Take it for a run every few weeks, if you just start it and leave it running for a few minutes you will more than likely flatten the battery, over a period of time.

You could put a small heater plugged into the mains on a frost setting this will help keep the interior warm and dry.

Hi David, thanks for the feedback. I suppose yeah I could carry on using it, I just wasn't sure if most campsites etc close down for the winter months!! I'll remember to take it out for a run rather than just starting it, thanks for that piece of advice. Is a cover not essential? I wasn't sure if the snow etc would have a bad effect and damage it.

Guest Tracker

Welcome to the madhouse - hope you enjoy your incarceration here with all the other long term inmates!

I don't know which part of the country you live in or whether where you are gets extreme frosts or not but it is important to get as much water out of the system as you can. This includes the pump and water heater as these are the two things most liable to damage. Running the pump for a few seconds after the tank has drained down should clear enough water to prevent frost damage. Look for either a drain plug or valve on the water heater - the handbook should tell you where - and make sure that it is left open. Also leave the taps and shower open. If you do get a severe frost don't be tempted to try and move the taps or operate the pump until any residual water has thawed or you may do damage. Same for the loo - make sure the flush pump has plenty of air in it. Air compresses - water don't! With this much water out of the system you may well have problems with airlocks when re commisioning next spring but we will cross that bridge when we get there!

If you want to cover your van feel free - most of us don't but we give it a good waxing to help protect the paintwork. Covers can rub in the wind and cause paintwork damage. They also restrict airflow and can cause mildew.

Electrical items won't harm but I would suggest removing all expensive items like the TV to safe and stable conditions in the house.

It pays to start the engine every couple of weeks or so and even better if you can drive it until the engine and transmission warm up once a month. This will also keep the brakes from rusting. Talking of which I always leave the handbrake off - if on level ground that is - and chock both rear wheels in front and behind with a concrete block or similar. That'll stop the gales from rolling it up and down the drive!

You might even consider taking the removable seats and beds indoors if you have space as they too benefit from keeping dry and warmish.

Check the engine anti freeze is new enough and strong enough for more than the coldest it is possible to be. It's cheaper than a new block or radiator!

What have I forgotten?

No doubt someone else will tell us!

Good luck!

Hi NU, and welcome.

Our previous van wasn't suitable for winter use, so we always took it off the road and SORNd it.

However, that did mean we couldn't take it for a run to keep it happy - and another advantage of that is that it lets different bits of tyre take the "squashing" while it's parked up. When I remembered, I used to jack up one wheel a week and turn it a little.

But now we've got a van with a heater and double-glazing, we use it as "main vehicle" all year round and get at least one night away in it each month.

Whereabouts in our fair county do you hang out?

Hi NU and welcome to the nut house, I see the 'reception' inmates have already been out to 'play'! :->

The above have pretty much covered most of the 'motorhome' bits, but other things to think about are:

Consumables - take out your food stuffs so that they don't attract any wildlife (mice etc), not just packet etc stuff but include tinned stuff to - the tins can 'burst' if they freeze! This also goes for shampoo bottles, soap dispenser bottles (ie they are 'sealed' and so can split, even bars of soap can suffer over winter and get very messy - I've even known a pen self destruct!

Clothes, towels and the like - again, best to remove stuff if you're not going to use the van much as they can cause cold spots and encourage mildew and other nasty growths - I once left a towel in an upper locker which must have been a bit damp and in a month there was this weird and wonderful 'growth' on the wall! You don't need to worry about curtains though, but taking the seat cushions etc out and bedding off fixed beds and into your house is a good idea too.

Other items - torches, radios etc - take out the batteries, quite apart from saving the batteries dying, you can bet if one does go dead it will also disintegrate and cause a right mess ... nasty!

Cleaning - best to give your van a good clean before laying it up including a good wipe round with some anti-bacterial spray so that nothing nasty can grow over the winter, it only takes a little while but it is better to do it now than in the spring by which time you can have all sorts of bacteria spreading itself about.

Its a good idea to give it a good airing when you do take the 'van out for a run - open the windows and let the air in to freshen it up - ideally pick a nice bright dry day so you don't let too much moisture in and don't freeze yourself in the process. :D

Oh, before I go, do you perchance have a 'normal' name we can call you by? :-S

Mr Nice,

Blimey someone says tracker's kind! That'll take some beating on here. The usual helpful comments from him though.

If not using the M/H during the winter I make sure the water "traps" are empty, they are positioned under the sink and shower, most are plastic and frozen water will expand. If you cannot find how to remove them for cleaning, paper from a kitchen roll pointed down through the grid will remove most water. I also move the vehicle up and down the drive to alter the flat spot positions on the tyres.

A cover, not done so yet but will try it this winter.

Run the engine yes, at least once a month. Better to drive it 25 miles. If you do intend to use it after a long layoff and do not remove some of the upholstery then the bedding and cushions can be pretty damp so several days with the heater on will remove most moisture.

Remove all food that will deterorate, sounds obvious but if you have mice around they will sniff it out and likely make their bed in your upholstery. Leave the fridge and freezer open all the time after cleaning

Bill

Archived