Changing M`Home

cheetahdavie

Not sure if I am in the right section..but hoping that some kind sole has some detail that may be relevant.

Like many of us, my current vehicle is not what "we" really want [Her indoors!!]

The 6 Berth gives us chance to a different position each night..[i mean a different bed of course] because there is just the two of us.

Actively searching I have come across a number of vehicles that would "seem" to suit.

One that seems to meet most of my [?] needs i the Mirage?

I have seen numerous of varying ages and specs.5000/6000 etc.

Question for the people with greater knowledge than I. Who makes the Mirage?..anyone any idea of how the vehicles "stack up". If I buy one it would have to mean going back [in terms of vehicle age] 2/4 years.

Any help or info on the Mirage would be appreciated

*-)

David,

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question on the Mirage, but to allow your lady wife, friend, partner, to decide on the choice of vehicle is a potential disaster.

I'm pretty easy going but I decide, simple as that, on the make, type, colour, size, interior, sleeping, cooking, toilet organising, extra's, etc.

I paid for it, drive it, clean it, cook in it, do all the travel arrangements, and maintain it. If my lady wife wishing to join me on my jaunts thats fine, but strictly under my arrangements.

Tell us what doesn't suit the lady of the M/H, I choose the biggest possible that will fit on our drive, but of an older age I'm restricted to 3500kgs. We have a large double bed each and it suits very well as we each have our own space for our seperate interests, it also allows us to have visitors without being cramped.

Space is a big advantage

PS My lady wife is partly disabled and quite enjoys being organised.

Bill

libby - 2009-10-29 12:01 PM

I'm pretty easy going but I decide, simple as that, on the make, type, colour, size, interior, sleeping, cooking, toilet organising, extra's, etc.

I paid for it, drive it, clean it, cook in it, do all the travel arrangements, and maintain it. If my lady wife wishing to join me on my jaunts thats fine, but strictly under my arrangements.

Bill

Bill ! I really hope this is tongue in cheek - I'm fairly sure it is - if my husband had even one of these thoughts he would be navigating (and talking to ) himself.... ;-)

libby - 2009-10-29 12:01 PM

Bill

Blimey Bill you are a brave man, and I would even go as far as to say a unique one, or is just possible her in doors is so clever that she lets you think that you make the decisions. Ever watched Derren Brown on TV? Do a google search for auto suggestion it might make you think!!!!!!!!!

cheetahdavie - 2009-10-28 11:28 PM Not sure if I am in the right section..but hoping that some kind sole has some detail that may be relevant. Like many of us, my current vehicle is not what "we" really want [Her indoors!!] The 6 Berth gives us chance to a different position each night..[i mean a different bed of course] because there is just the two of us. Actively searching I have come across a number of vehicles that would "seem" to suit. One that seems to meet most of my [?] needs i the Mirage? I have seen numerous of varying ages and specs.5000/6000 etc. Question for the people with greater knowledge than I. Who makes the Mirage?..anyone any idea of how the vehicles "stack up". If I buy one it would have to mean going back [in terms of vehicle age] 2/4 years. Any help or info on the Mirage would be appreciated *-)

Ho, ho.  All very funny, but let's try to remember poor Dave's original question, can we?

Guest Tracker

I might be wrong but I believe that the Mirage was the Marquis 'own label' version of the Auto Sleeper Luxor A Class.

It was never the greatest of success as I recall but they do still seem to have a loyal following - but then so do steam engines!

That said, I do have a sneaky feeling that Autocruise did once make an A class for Marquis - but I can't find any reference anywhere so I'm probably wrong with that thought?

But I bet that Derek will know!

Made by Mirage in Italy, a web search will get you their internet site.  No English pages, though.  It seems they are now only sold in Italy.

I think the story is that they were imported to UK exclusively by Marquis.  What contact Marquis currently has with Mirage I know not, nor whether they can still get spares for them.  Something to check up on?

RHD versions will have been Marquis "specials" so, depending on whether a full RHD body was made, any body parts such as habitation doors, driver's doors, windscreen wiper arms/mechanisms that may have been handed from the LHD versions, may be difficult to source, or unobtainable, unless Mirage/Marquis has stocks of spares.

If I were A class hunting, I think I'd be inclined to look at Hymer, Burstner, Pilote, Rapido, Frankia etc, and quietly pass the Mirage by on the other side.  But, that's just me, mind!

I toyed with the idea of buying a Mirage in around 2000. I looked at the Autosleeper badged version of the same vehicle. I pondered on whether to buy a traditional Autosleeper with UK spec or the continental specced Mirage.

Concluded the AS version was underspecced and over priced. I couldn't find anyone to sell me a Mirage so I bought an Arto instead. The Mirage had a loyal following and was well put together. However, they were not common and there was a higher risk of difficulty getting parts.

In summary, probably nothing wrong with a Mirage but if you are spending more of your time outside Italy, you will probably find one of the German or French a-classes to be easier to keep on the road.

Many thanks indeed to all who have taken time to reply..it is appreciated. I do like the "van" I have..never a problem..but I [like many others] am never satisfied [until the boss says I am!] and I, and She, much prefer lounging room to sleeping room?I lounge..she sleeps?Photos and description of the Mirage show detail of the type of layout we could endure[?] hence my interest.Hymer..yes please, but cost?? and the same for most vehicles mentioned.

I will continue the search and thank all who assisted with their replies.

Have a Good Xmas....soon

cheetahdavie - 2009-10-30 1:43 AM ..........Hymer..yes please, but cost?? and the same for most vehicles mentioned. .............

If something is much cheaper than it's peers, is it because it has been built more efficiently, or because corners have been cut?  Italy versus Germany?  Could that alone explain the price differential?  I just ask!  :-)

Guest Tracker

I would much prefer an older better made van to a newer poorly made van - and almost all newer vans are less well made than their predecessors - a trend maybe set to continue as more and more companies are run by accountants instead of engineers?

Archived