Floor damaged by tyre

tebanksgmail.com

Towards the end of our holidays in France and Spain this year we had the unfortunate but ultimately safe experience of the tread coming off the rear drivers side tyre at speed on a motorway.

The loose tread managed to damage the underside floor and I intend to fix it by using a piece of plywood and sealing/screwing it to the underside of the floor.

Sikaflex has been recommeded to me as the best sealant/adhesive. Has anyone heard of this or used it before? The van is a 1998 Swift Royale 630 on a Fiat Ducato base.

Many thanks in advance.

e

Try looking here for the right product.    http://tinyurl.com/yjgnbjb  You'll need to decide which flavour is appropriate once you've fully investigated what you're up against. 

They have an excellent technical advisory service, so call them if in doubt.  Sika UK Ltd. 

The products are generally excellent, but they are industrial sealants and adhesives, so get the product data sheets before you start squirting it around.  It sticks like the proverbial, and provides a very strong seal, on you as well if you're not careful!!

Might be wise checking all your other tyres.  Tread should not detach from modern tyres.  Can happen to poor remoulds, which shouldn't be on a motorhome.  Otherwise, maybe the wrong tyres fitted, maybe underinflation, maybe the tyres are past their sell-by date.  However, if one went, the others must be considered suspect until investigated.  I assume you're on the spare.  If age was the problem with the one that failed, and the spare is from the same batch, it will have deteriorated to about the same extent even if its never previously been on the road.  Good luck.

I have used Sikaflex 521 and 221, both are very similar, one just has a faster curing rate (can't remember which ?) as Brian says it 'sticks like the proverbial XXXX to a blanket' .

I mounted an external Spoiler in front of a Roofvent ( that kept blowing open) with 521 4 years ago, So, UV light,high wind,snow,rain,mould etc., and it's still very firmly fixed, thats ABS to Fibreglass, but I have glued wood to metal, wood to wood, plastic to wood, even metal to metal. all satisfactorily. Can't say more than that, it's good stuff. (and worth the little bit more than standard waterproof 'No more nails' ) :D :D Ray

If you are using ply do not use interior grade - go for an exterior grade. Marine ply is even better (more expensive) but is only necessary if the area is subject to continuous wetting.

Once you have fitted it and the Sikaflex has cured, cover the ply with underseal.

Archived