Swift Group Spares

Fred Duck

I want a spare part for our 2004 Bessacarr E410 - a locker door that Swift say is available. You have to order it through a Swift Dealer however and, over the last three days, I have been in touch with 5 that are, relatively, local. All have taken the details of what I am after, the MH number and other details of the van and promised to phone me back "when they have checked the system". None have bothered to come back to me.

My question is, therefore, has anyone any experience of a Swift/Bessacarr Dealer in the Yorkshire area (any part) who has, actually, supplied them with a spare in anything like an efficient manner?

FD

Fred Duck - 2009-10-29 4:50 PM

I want a spare part for our 2004 Bessacarr E410 - a locker door that Swift say is available. You have to order it through a Swift Dealer however and, over the last three days, I have been in touch with 5 that are, relatively, local. All have taken the details of what I am after, the MH number and other details of the van and promised to phone me back "when they have checked the system". None have bothered to come back to me.

My question is, therefore, has anyone any experience of a Swift/Bessacarr Dealer in the Yorkshire area (any part) who has, actually, supplied them with a spare in anything like an efficient manner?

FD

You don't say what part of Yorkshire your in..however if your not far from Halifax try Richard Baldwin Motorhomes number is 01422 382333 that will put you through to the service dept

Give em a try they are a Swift Dealers always been good to me

mondo - 2009-10-29 5:22 PM

You don't say what part of Yorkshire your in..however if your not far from Halifax try Richard Baldwin Motorhomes number is 01422 382333 that will put you through to the service dept

According to Swift and their own web site, Richard Baldwin aren't Swift Dealers any more although they are Autocruise Dealers so the link's still there. Will certainly give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

FD

Fi Fred

I assume you are refering to one of the external lockers ?

(Gas bottle, Toilet or the Underseat Lockers)

There is a high possibility that the part you require is NOT specifically a "Swift" part, but bought in by them and potentially used by various manufacturer's.

With O'Leary's you usually need to visit so they can identify the part.

Another altermative is Magnum Motorhomes at Grimsby.

Further away it is possible that CAK (Warwickshire) may be able to help you, or further still Wyvern at Shepton Mallet, Somerset & Charles & Son, Dorset (all advertise in MMM)

Fred

Swift Group's computerised parts ordering system was notorious when it was first introduced and had caravan/motorhome dealers reaching for the Valium tablets. I believe it's better now, but still not exactly user-friendly.

You say that Swift has confirmed that the part you want is available (and presumably in stock), so, as it will only involve the cost of a phone call, why don't you re-contact the Swift dealerships you've already spoken to and give them a verbal kick up the bum? As no-one has so far come back to you it's possible there's a common cause, the obvious one being that Swift's system is out of action.

Fred Duck - 2009-10-29 8:28 PM

mondo - 2009-10-29 5:22 PM

According to Swift and their own web site, Richard Baldwin aren't Swift Dealers any more although they are Autocruise Dealers so the link's still there. Will certainly give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

FD

Don't let em fool you at this moment I have an ongoing problemm with Swift (Autocruise owners now) with my Startrail still waiting for an answer I was under the impression they were still Swift Dealers !!

Many thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

The door is for an internal locker. The joints along its top edge were badly glued and it simply fell to bits last Saturday. I've found a second, similar, door that was about to do the same but have saved it by a bit of precautionary glueing!!

I take the point about going back to one of the Dealers that have not come back to me but wonder "why should I have to" - probably cutting my nose off to spite my face, I accept.

I have another Dealer to try next week ("sorry, the Lady who deals with all our spares is on holiday this week") but, in the meantime, copying my original post onto the web site that Swift contribute to can't do any harm.

What I do know is the name of five Dealers who will not get my business when the day comes to change the van ;-)

FD

I just wonder how accurately it is possible to identify one locker door among the various others?  Might it not be easier to take the van to the closest dealer to you - irrespective of whether you have already phoned them - get them to identify the door for themselves, and then place the order while you are there, getting them to confirm their price and the delivery period at the same time?  And probably, as the ad used to say, "a small deposit secures any item".

Then, as and when necessary, phone to check on progress.  Ultimately, the answer to why you should have to do this, is because you want a new locker door.  I'm not saying it's right, but it must the the easiest way to prove you're not just a "tyre kicker" who's merely phoning around all the dealers to see who can respond the fastest.  :-)  A bit of follow up will convince someone you're serious, and a visit gets you to meet a real person and establish a relationship (of sorts) rather than just being a voice on the phone.

Guest Tracker

It is much more difficult for any trader to be difficult face to face than it is by phone or email.

If you order from a dealer who then needs to post it on to you there is the risk of damage and delay in transit whereas if you go to the dealer and collect it in person and it is damaged it is down to them and not up to you to try and seek redress from the ever helpful Swift Group.

Regretfully, they are in no doubt as to which door it is. I've discussed it with each of them and most of them have even told me the colour of the timber finish before I've told them. Every time I have confirmed that I will come to them, place the order, pay any deposit required and, when delivered, pay and collect in person.

The bottom line, to me, is that they just can't be bothered.

FD

Guest Tracker

Sounds like a known problem then as they seem to be that familiar with such an obscure part of the van that would normally last the life of the vehicle?

Maybe Swift would care to replace it FOC as a goodwill gesture?

And pigs might fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another good reason not to buy a new van from Swift?

We have just had the leisure battery box replaced on our 2003 Autocruise.

The floor of the original one had rusted through.

The dealer carrying out the repair had to fabricate a new one.

They said that they had great difficulty getting any parts from Swifts for any Autocruise that is over 2 years old.

If it is just the door joints that have come apart and not split any wood or laminate, then it might be worth getting a capenter to have a look and reglue it for you. Might also be a lt cheaper. Even split wood can be rejoined and the join made almost, if not, invisible.

As I have not seen the door or know what it looks like I cannot know for sure.

Brambles - 2009-10-31 10:30 PM

If it is just the door joints that have come apart and not split any wood or laminate, then it might be worth getting a capenter to have a look and reglue it for you. Might also be a lt cheaper. Even split wood can be rejoined and the join made almost, if not, invisible.

As I have not seen the door or know what it looks like I cannot know for sure.

That's what I've done. I do have reasonable joinery skills (I've built replacement timber framed bodies for vintage cars in the past) so I've done it myself. Regretfully, there was a slight split and a small sliver of finshed face timber missing but, after glueing and clamping, it is now probably stronger than any other bit of timberwork in the whole van.

The slight spilt has been repaired with a soft wax timber repair stick and, now the door is re-fitted, all who have seen it say the repair is all but invisible. Trouble is, I can see it and do every time I go in the van!!

If I can't find a replacement door I'll, probably, get used to the repair in time but that doesn't mean I don't intend to keep looking.

FD

Archived