N&B Arto 59B

starvin marvin

Does anyone know of issues with this model, built on the Fiat 2.8 TDi, 2000 vintage. I know the issues with the gearbox, I've currently have a 2003 2.8 jTD panel van which is brilliant at what it does, but after 2.5 years we feel we want more space, for the type of camping we do now

Many thanks

I vaguely remember the rear ladder and roof-rack being criticised (for flimsiness?) in an Arto test report, and the tester being told by the importer that the roof wasn't designed to be stood on. Also that an on-test Arto fitted with the optional alloy wheels proved to have inadequate rear wheel-arch clearance. I've seen one second-hand Arto with a double-glazed cab side-window fogged up (as happens with domestic windows), so that's something to look out for.

I remember driving an Arto to Le Mans on test for the mag (I think that was that one we had arch clearance issues with - but it was only a minor mod) and it was an enjoyable vehicle. Four of us live in it for about five days and it was trouble-free. Garage was great for the duty free booze, too!

Peter R

As you are looking at a 9-years old 'van, it might be worth checking the current availability of the massive windscreen N+B tend to fit. These screens can be hugely expensive if they were originally 'bespoke' (not so bad if the motorhome manufacturer used a truck windscreen) and insurance providers often set a policy-limit for replacing damaged window glass.

Archived