WiFi Antenna Systems

alan

Hi

Has anybody had any experience with long-range antenna systems - some kind soul (the name of whom escapes me) suggested

"RepeatIT SU2410-USB" as probably being one of the best. But do they really work? We spend most of our holidays on the continent and have picked up a number of secure WiFi sites, but will there be sufficient easy access to spend £112 for the Antenna? Being retired, we are now time rich/cash poor, but it's still a bit of a fag hunting for McDonalds! All suggestions gratefully received - thank you.

Alan

The 'kind soul' was me.

I decided to get one following some good reviews from the boating fraternity.

My experience to date is that, yes it really does work. It has recognised hotspots up to 5 miles away across water, and successfully connected up to two miles. However it is directional, with about a 60 degree tolerance, and the above will only be achieved given a clearish line of sight.

Of course, it's one thing finding over 30 hotspots, with the antenna poked through the Heki, but quite another as to how many of those are likely to be public hotspots, and I have no experience of continental availability, which for you would probably be the deciding factor.

Johngee, you've hit the nail on the head - in my experience there are very few insecure or free hotspots abroad, on our holiday in August/September to Germany I didn't find one, not a sausage ... or bratwurst - nacht!

In France I did find one or two but that's all.

johngee - 2009-10-30 12:44 PM

The 'kind soul' was me.

I decided to get one following some good reviews from the boating fraternity.

My experience to date is that, yes it really does work. It has recognised hotspots up to 5 miles away across water, and successfully connected up to two miles. However it is directional, with about a 60 degree tolerance, and the above will only be achieved given a clearish line of sight.

Of course, it's one thing finding over 30 hotspots, with the antenna poked through the Heki, but quite another as to how many of those are likely to be public hotspots, and I have no experience of continental availability, which for you would probably be the deciding factor.

Thanks Johngee and everybody else who replied.

Mel B - rather inclined to agree with your comments, it's all very well finding the hotspots but can they be used?

Alan

Archived