Trick or Treating

josie gibblebucket

Trick or Treating  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No problem if little ones call on their friends/ relations houses but why on earth should we give treats to complete strangers ( who may be little brats anyway ).

(Teaches kids what you can get by threatening people).

Should at least be restricted to 5 yr olds and under.

Typical American import, like ram raiding.

:-(

Guest Tracker

Like many fads in the UK it is just another excuse for the toy makers in China to offload cheap crap onto greedy supermarkets who sell it on at a huge profit to gullible families who are not strong enough to withstand peer pressure from their kids.

This band wagon is further jumped on by the confectionery makers and supermarkets who now sell special packs of sweets etc for us all to give as treats thus trying to make the whole thing acceptable - followed in due course no doubt by respectable because 'everyone' does it.

Well not in this house as we do not encourage begging in any form and least of all by those who don't need to.

It has nothing to do with tradition and everything to do with multi national manipulation and exploitation.

I am not in favour of banning but maybe we should educate our younger generation better?

malc d - 2009-10-30 9:47 AM

No problem if little ones call on their friends/ relations houses but why on earth should we give treats to complete strangers ( who may be little brats anyway ).

(Teaches kids what you can get by threatening people).

Should at least be restricted to 5 yr olds and under.

My thoughts exactly.

Graham

It isn't an American import we actually exported it to America but discontinued it over here, it is a Pagan festival (All Hallows Eve) where the children used to go around the village homes obtaining treats that were then split up amongst the very poor with celebrations much the same as the Harvest Festival still kept up by Christians.

So item 3 is not appropriate!

Bas

Basil - 2009-10-30 11:42 AM

It isn't an American import we actually exported it to America but discontinued it over here, it is a Pagan festival (All Hallows Eve) where the children used to go around the village homes obtaining treats that were then split up amongst the very poor with celebrations much the same as the Harvest Festival still kept up by Christians.

Bas

Wasn't it the Treat bit that was exported but then was adulterated by the American addition of the Trick bit before it came back over here?

There is a Wiki Here which supports that view.

Graham

Basil - 2009-10-30 11:42 AM

Bas

So, at some time, long, long ago, we got rid of it.

It certainly hasn't been around for most of my life, and now it's been copied from the Americans.

So it's a bit debatable wether or not it can be said to be 'imported' from the U.S.

Maybe be it has just been re-introduced from America.

:-|

I'm not generally a fan of "banning" things, but I do wonder what's going on ...

... when we spend 364 days being so obsessed with Child Protection and paedophiles that parents can't go into a play park with their own kids, and can't take each other's kids to football matches ...

... then on one day of the year encourage them to go round knocking on strangers' doors and asking for the sweets they're not supposed to accept the rest of the time?????

Hi,,

A couple of years ago, right day but mid-afternoon, a procession of school kids and a teacher came down the road, knocking on all the doors. They collected £5 off my neighbour (the one on benefit). I wasn't home.

A big supermarket near here always has a member of staff to greet customers. I'm guessing there is a competition to see which store can collect the most for charity, because there is often a collector standing next to the greeter. On those days, you get a very loud welcome, with a pointed glance at the collector. I don't like this for two reasons.

1. I very rarely carry cash, do my shopping with plastic. So I appear to be a MOG, which I pprobably am.

2. We get our bank to make regular payments to our selected charities.

Many years ago, I came into some money, and donated a large sum to the Rumanian Orphans. I still sweat when I think how much I sent them. I think they spent most of it on postage, asking for more.

If I thought it would do any good, I would tell the supermarket manager that I will avoid entering his shop while they are selling Halloween and Guy Fawkes related stuff. One is pagan, the other celebrates burning somebody for his religious convictions. And anyway, both upset my dog.

Er....isn't asking for a donation, expressed or implied, illegal?

W3526602 - 2009-10-30 3:32 PM ............., the other celebrates burning somebody for his religious convictions. ...........

No Sir!  See here (another Wicki I'm afraid!)  http://tinyurl.com/8c7bu .  

Fawkes was not burned, though he would have burned many had the plot succeeded.  He was tried, and convicted of treason.  He was tortured, following the practices of the time - which would not be tolerated today - but he was not burned at the stake - see the article.  However, many were, on both sides of the religious divide.

Where I live, it was the turn of the Protestants to go to the stake.  The event is vigourously celebrated with processions, fires and effigies today, and has been, in various forms and with some breaks, since the late 17 century.  It is an excellent spectacle, it is a local tradition, and it is great fun.  Long may it continue!

I think the difference here is quite simply - the celebration that Brian is talking about is where you choose to go because you want to and give to the collection/donation pot if you see fit. The problem with this Trick or Treat, or even kids coming round saying 'Penny for the Guy' (... more like a few quid now) is that they are 'invading' your space and expect you to give them something, whether you want to or not.

I have sweets to hand out in case we get little ones visiting but any older kids, especially those without adults, don't get anything - and most of them don't bother doing anything for it anyway - putting on a mask just doesn't cut it.

Its similar to carol singing but at least if I get them knocking on my door I make them do a good bit of singing first!

So what next folks, ban Bonfire Night because we should not encourage torturing individuals and fireworks are dangerous and don't buy hot dogs the sellers might not have a Health & Hygeine certificate. Then of course we shoul ban the kids coming around and singing Christmas Carols. In fact let's ban easter egg hunts and every other tradition that some of us have grown up, participated and even enjoyed !!

Big Momma - 2009-10-30 6:11 PM

So what next folks, ban Bonfire Night because we should not encourage torturing individuals and fireworks are dangerous and don't buy hot dogs the sellers might not have a Health & Hygeine certificate. Then of course we shoul ban the kids coming around and singing Christmas Carols. In fact let's ban easter egg hunts and every other tradition that some of us have grown up, participated and even enjoyed !!

None of the activities that you mention involve threatening people, so I wouldn't ban any of them.

;-)

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2009-10-30 7:28 PM

You haven't heard some of the Chrismas Carol singers we get round here then! Some of the singing is seriously 'threatening' to our ears! :D

Hardly surprising considering that it's Hull - European City of culture 1508!

There may well be other 'culture' jokes available!

Even in leafy and supposedly "safe" Surrey, with a large, expensive motorhome parked at the top of my driveway, I have no choice but to pay the protection money, or equivalent goods, demanded. That applies both to "trick or treaters" or carol "singers" calling at the door.

That is a disgraceful situation and shame on the Government for allowing it.

Bob :-(

Guest Tracker
Usinmyknaus - 2009-10-31 10:02 AM

Even in leafy and supposedly "safe" Surrey, with a large, expensive motorhome parked at the top of my driveway, I have no choice but to pay the protection money, or equivalent goods, demanded. That applies both to "trick or treaters" or carol "singers" calling at the door.

That is a disgraceful situation and shame on the Government for allowing it.

Bob :-(

Given the amount of protection being offered I think maybe you are getting a bargain from these young business boys and girls for the cost?

Maybe they are training to become politicians, bankers, actuaries and accountants - oh yes - and estate agents!

Tracker - 2009-10-30 7:32 PM

You haven't heard some of the Chrismas Carol singers we get round here then! Some of the singing is seriously 'threatening' to our ears! :D

That's Kingston upon Hull to you, you uncouth pleb! At least my neighbours aren't sheep ... ! :D

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2009-10-31 7:26 PM

Tracker - 2009-10-30 7:32 PM

That's Kingston upon Hull to you, you uncouth pleb! At least my neighbours aren't sheep ... ! :D

Fair enough - but if it's that good why are you in such a hurry to leave it!

Then again - oh, but, perhaps not I wouldn't want to upset you on Halloween night Mel!

Not particularly in a hurry to leave around here, its just that property is cheaper over the bridge. :-D

Its not me you need to worry about tonight Rich .... Janine's out and about remember! >:-) You've better not have your usual nightly constitution with your wellies on to 'visit' the neighbours! ;-)

I sprayed my wellies silver and left them outside my door the little devils would not call thinking Gary Glitter lived here.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_mrgreen.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_mrgreen.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_mrgreen.gif

GJH - 2009-10-30 11:54 AM

Wasn't it the Treat bit that was exported but then was adulterated by the American addition of the Trick bit before it came back over here?

There is a Wiki Here which supports that view.

Graham

Fair comment, but I find it interesting that the majority of people are completely unaware of the origins of a lot of what happens in this country.

Bas

Archived