Wi Fi and VPN

Porky

Whoops.

The piece on Watchdog yesterday was an eye opener. I knew the sites were not secure, but not quite how the criminals can invade your computer. Anyone with advice on VPN and how to aquire the ability to block illegal access. A google search produces options but personal experience would help. I am with BT for both broadband and email. Also I am happy to pay for the right product.

Roy Fuller

This is not news. Even Windows help says:

'If you do connect to a network that is not secure, be aware that someone with the right tools can see everything that you do, including the websites you visit, the documents you work on, and the user names and passwords you use. You should not work on documents or visit websites that contain personal information, such as your bank records, while you are connected to that network.'

My rules are:

Up to date firewall

Up to date antivirus

Firefox, not Internet Explorer

Web based email only

Use CCleaner after every session

Keep all sensitive files on a removable external drive

Change passwords regularly

Turn on password-protected sharing

Never access bank accounts or buy anything on line via a public hotspot

Never make available anything you would not be happy for the world to know via a public hotspot.

So far, so lucky

First ditch your BT router an put in a decent one that you can configure yourself.

If you really want to be safe get a good quality firewall such as a Netscreen or Watchdog it will cost you a few hundred quid but if set up correctly it should be secure. You will also probably need to change your IP to a fixed one to use these firewalls.

lennyhb - 2009-10-30 7:28 PM

First ditch your BT router an put in a decent one that you can configure yourself.

Not sure what you mean by that statement, the BT routers are fully configurable yourself and contain their own Firewall that is free to use. Once configured correctly, in all tests carried out on my own setup show it as 'Invisible' to all outsiders.

Bas

Archived