The Netherlands in November

Minstrel

Are we mad to be thinking of going to the Netherlands in November?

We've got guide books and the CC book of campsites, but if anyone can recommend campsites, we're going to the Hague, Amsterdam, Delft, Haarlem and anywhere else you might recommend to us.

Camping Delft Hout is open all year 10 min walk from the centre of Delft, and is a good hub for trains to Rotterdam and the Hague, tram also runs to the Hague. Trains are every 30mins change at the Hague for Amsterdam

We were there in September couple of good supermarkets in Delft itself I have`nt ever seen out of town shopping as here or France. Prices were about the same as here both eating out and shopping.

The best way of seeing Holland is on yer bike, might be a bit chilly in November.

As a Dutch national I can tell you that the weather in Holland is no different to here in the UK. A lot of rain and storms!!

In November it will be the same as over here, perhaps in the east of the country, where it borders Germany, the weather can get a few degrees colder than where you are thinking of going in the west.

We're off to the Xmas markets on the 24th, starting off in Holland, and staying on a site outside The Hague (that's where I grew up and have friends etc, and we're also getting our Dutch bikes serviced there at the same time, so a bit easier for us than from Delft, although I don't like the site as much as Delftse Hout). The site, if you're interested, is Kijkduinpark, website: http://www.roompotparcs.com/holidayparks/552430/kijkduinpark

We're also going to Koningshof after that, as I want to go to the archives in Amsterdam to do some more family tree research. After that we're heading into Germany.

The sites which have been recommended so far, Delftse Hout and Koningshof, both accept Camping Cheques, making it a bit cheaper than what it would normally be.

From Delftse Hout you can get the tram into The Hague, to get to the station in Delft you can either walk it from the site, but it is about half an hour, or get the bus down the road from the site.

From Koningshof you can get to Leiden, which is another town worth visiting. Also from there, you can get the train into Amsterdam.

Ina.

I think they're about on par with the UK, but AFAIK no discoutns for over 60's. Any discount cards are only for citizens of Holland, but there are different types of tickets available.

The following website is the NS website, Nederlandse Spoorwegen, the national railways, and the link is in English. You can input your stations, departure/arrival, and cost your ticket, even buy tickets on-line, so you have an idea before you go.

Ina.

Hymer584 - 2009-11-02 4:20 PM

From Koningshof you can get to Leiden, which is another town worth visiting. Also from there, you can get the train into Amsterdam.

Ina.

I don't know if it still operates but some years ago when we went to Amsterdam by train from Leiden while staying at de Koningshof, we got a brilliant ticket which included a taxi back to the campsite from Leiden station at night. Btilliant scheme, much easier than finding the right bus after a day in A'dam.

Hi All

We're now in Delft Hout campsite, 1km from the centre, cycling is defintiely the best way to go in the netherlands, except Amsterdam, which is very busy, cars bikes, people, trams. We stayed 4 nights at Camping Zeeburg at 15 euros and ten mintues to the tram stop. Had a very good time despite intermittent rain. We weren't impressed with 12 euros to visit the old or new church. The rude area didn't impress either with the young women banging on the windows to attract the attention of lone males. I didn't look much so didn't see if they catered to women looking for men!

Haarlem was next, a very pretty town then a drive down to Katswijk arriving at the campsite 5 mins after reception closed at 5pm. No way to get in and hook up so we stayed the night in the car park and leftat 7.30 this morning.

We saw the most amazing sight at Monster on the coast. The Dutch are worried about sea levels rising because half the country is below sea level so they have created a large ditch on the beach and today started pumping sand from the dogger banks to bolster up the defences. It was an amazing sight, not least because there were hundreds of gulls feeding on the shellfish etc that had been brought in with the sand, probably without the shells! The noise was horrendous.

We're on our way back tomorrow and not looking forward to negotiating Antwerp, the queques on the way through were awful.

Archived