motorhome number plate change

wints

I've just sold my van (I am getting another), but now Ive got to arrange to have the personalised plate to be changed. The new owner was a bit peeved when I told him that according to DVLA the process of issueing a new number (probably get the original back) will mean he can't have the van for maybe 2 weeks.

Is there anyway around this ?

I was thinking that he could insure the van on my personalised reg, then wait for me to give him the amended log book with all the new owner bits signed, then he informs his insurers of the reg change.

Would that be possible / legal / safe ?

regards

Allen

If you take all of your documents into your local DVLA Office you can get it done virtually straight away. You can download the form from the DVLA website.

They will also organise a change of road tax if you are selling this on with the vehicle and issue an authorisation document for the new plates. Suggest you don't go to Halfords for the new plates they quoted twice the price of motor factors.

I have done this very recently. The process took about 2 weeks but can take up to 4.

To speed things up I suggest you download the relevant form from the DVLA website and then hand deliver it to a local DVLA office. After about 3 days you will be issued with a new number with a form giving you permission to get new number plates made together with a replacement tax disc and MOT. A new registration document will follow a few days later from DVLA Swansea which enables you to complete nthe relevant transfer.

The guidance tells you not to release the vehicle until the new registration document arrives to avoid you becoming responsible for speeding fines and other traffic offences.

I must say I was impressed by the speed of it all.

i recently changed my number off the car and onto the van, i took all docs. to my local dvla centre in cardiff and it was returned in 5 days tax and mot changed on both vehicles. another way around it is to store your number with dvla, they will put the original on your van and away to go although this is not a cheap option as they will charge to take it off and re instate it on the next vehicle you aquire. hope this helps

wints - 2009-11-01 10:53 AM

I've just sold my van (I am getting another), but now Ive got to arrange to have the personalised plate to be changed. The new owner was a bit peeved when I told him that according to DVLA the process of issueing a new number (probably get the original back) will mean he can't have the van for maybe 2 weeks.

Is there anyway around this ?

I was thinking that he could insure the van on my personalised reg, then wait for me to give him the amended log book with all the new owner bits signed, then he informs his insurers of the reg change.

Would that be possible / legal / safe ?

regards

Allen

Allen

As others have said, it does take at least a week (even if you take your docs/application to the local DVLA office) to do the transfer. If you let the vehicle go with it still on you run the risk of it passing to the new registered keeper.

In the past, I have usually transferred ours through the dealer which can be timed to take effect on the day the handover takes place but the last sale was private so I put the number on retention in readiness for our new motorhome coming in November. This meant paying an extra £25 but that the old motorhome could be sold with its' original number plate on and our number is ready to be put on the new van.

David

Hi,

My friends sold a 1962 Land Rover to a couple in USA. The Yanks came over for a months holiday, stayed the first night at my friends house, drove to the Swansea VRO (in DVLA's back yard) the following morning, accompanied by my friends. Yanks filed in some forms, and handed my friends the Retention Certificate ..... which they later sold for a couple of hundred pounds. It appears the Yanks knew more about our system than we do. But this was at least ten years ago.

The Yanks then toured UK for the next month, arranged for the Land Rover to be shipped home, and flew home themselves. The Landy cost them £800, retention was about £80 then, I think. Say it cost them £500 to ship it home.

It possibly worked out cheaper than renting a car. Definitely cheaper than buying a similar car Stateside.

Hi,

Be careful how you schedule things. On more than one occasion I have stood in a queue at VRO, and overheard conversations about being unable to tax a car because the insurance had already been transfered to the applicants new car.

To do a cherished transfer, I believe most vehicles must be taxed and tested.

My insurers, LV, told me over the phone, that my old car would be held covered for two weeks after the policy had been transferred to my new car, to give me time to sell the old one. That seems remarkably generous, but may be worth checking up on.

Mike B. - 2009-11-06 6:10 PM

Hi

If you have the new van and the current log book, tax disc and mot if appropriate for both vehicles, you can take it to local dvla office and do it instantly-I know as I have 4 private plates and changed last one quite recently

Mike

That might be the case but only Swansea can issue the new V5s. As the sale can't be formalised without the new V5, the OP would have to wait for these to come through the post before the sale can be formalised. If you use the old V5 with cherished registration on it, situation will be that there's two departments in DVLA in a race to issue V5...if the "change of ownership" dept wins the race with "change of registration", V5 could be sent to new owner with cherished registration on it. (I sought the advice of DVLA when we sold our car/retained registration recently and was advised not to risk selling until new V5 had turned up otherwise this could occur).

It's too late now, but as others have said, easiest way is to put the plate onto retention when the van is initially put up for sale; with luck the new V5 with non-cherished registration will have turned up before you find a buyer.

In principle to speed up the sale the OP could let the van go with the registration, get new owner to put on retention with OP as nominee, then re-register their new van with that. However for a period the registration would become property of van buyer, with consequent risk that they beggar off with it and refuse to do the transfer. Better to put on retention and make the buyer wait a week or two for the new V5 to turn up (my experience is 2-3 wks actually...confirmation of transfer takes a week, new V5 another 2)

starvin marvin - 2009-11-07 9:18 PM

Why does anyone in their right mind want/need a personalised number plate? The vehicle comes with a perfectly good one.

But as I have said before and no doubt will say again, I'm never really surprised (just perplexed) by the things people would rather have than money.

Like a £25 - 65k motorhome?.................

Why does anyone in their right mind want/need a personalised number plate? The vehicle comes with a perfectly good one.

But as I have said before and no doubt will say again, I'm never really surprised (just perplexed) by the things people would rather have than money.

Is that not the point of aquiring money that you exchange it for goods or services. You are suggesting anyone buying a personalised plate is out of their minds, which I would respectfully suggest is inflamatory and unneccessary. I am perplexed why anyone would want to just accumulate money. If we did not spend our money in all sorts of different ways where would the economy be. Just think of fluffy hanging dice for a car!!!!

Porky - 2009-11-08 11:52 AM

Is that not the point of aquiring money that you exchange it for goods or services. You are suggesting anyone buying a personalised plate is out of their minds, which I would respectfully suggest is inflamatory and unneccessary. I am perplexed why anyone would want to just accumulate money. If we did not spend our money in all sorts of different ways where would the economy be. Just think of fluffy hanging dice for a car!!!!

Apologies if I touched a nerve, but I find it difficult to understand why when you get a perfectly good number plate with the vehicle anyone needs to buy a personalised one. All this seems to me to be showing to anyone who's interested is "look I've got loads of money to throw around" and so seems to be a vanity issue more than anything else. So yes I do think they are out of there minds.

Excuse me while I just go and count my money and see if there's enough for another holiday.

I've got one I acquired with a vehicle and its now worth £3500 according to Registration Transfers. Its an excellent investment increasing in value each year so I'm keeping it. The fact I acquired it for nothing is a huge bonus and will offset the loss on my motorhome when I come to sell it.

That makes excellent sense to me. One day I'll sell it but not while it continues to increase in value.

starvin marvin - 2009-11-09 11:25 AM

Apologies if I touched a nerve, but I find it difficult to understand why when you get a perfectly good number plate with the vehicle anyone needs to buy a personalised one. All this seems to me to be showing to anyone who's interested is "look I've got loads of money to throw around" and so seems to be a vanity issue more than anything else. So yes I do think they are out of there minds.

Excuse me while I just go and count my money and see if there's enough for another holiday.

The first post was bad enough so now you have compounded it from saying they are "out of their (not as you have spelt it) minds" to being vane. Are you going to stop at that or do you have any more insults you would like to post?

I've just changed my MH to a personalised plate and I was wondering about what happens when I get eventually sell it. I understand that the van will need to be re-registered (the point of the OP) but do they just pick one from a hat or will it get the original number back? Should I hang on to my original plates?

Here's what happened :

filled in the application form and went to local DVLA office, cost me £105, that's £80 to retain the personal (cherished) plate & £25 for allocation of new number to the van I'm selling.

Can't hand over the van yet as it's in between plates.

Kept purchaser informed.

Approx 5 days later local DVLA inform me, by letter, I've been allocated original registration no. for the van, also enclosing document for me to present to number plate makers. I kept original plates so no probs there.

Purchaser decides he can't wait any longer, pays me, takes van, insures it on the original re-allocated registration plates.

1 week later I receive new 'log book', I fill my bit in as seller, purchaser fills his bit in as new owner.

It went reasonably well, but next time I get itchy feet, I'll change the plate before selling.

I'll put the personal plate on my new van soon, cost already paid for.

regards

Allen

All the time the DVLA will authorise personal number plates, people will buy them, nothing wrong with standing out from the crowd I suppose. Those that have the numbers and letters "adjusted" without the correct gaps may find they have an MOT failure.

Personally the only one I would choose 'if it were available' would be MY 1 BUM. but of course I doubt it was ever produced?

I have a friend who has his wifes name on the plate, then teases her about it in an argument. Just depends what you do with it. As a set of letters it means nothing to the outsider. It was like years ago we put badges on the front bar or mascots of nude ladies perched on the bonnet. Did that mean we were unsafe and not to be trusted?

wints - 2009-11-11 9:06 PM

Here's what happened :

Purchaser decides he can't wait any longer, pays me, takes van, insures it on the original re-allocated registration plates.

1 week later I receive new 'log book', I fill my bit in as seller, purchaser fills his bit in as new owner.

Allen

Have to say both you and your seller are more trusting souls than I. Without the completed V5, he hadn't really purchased the van. Until the completed V5 went back to the DVLA, the van was your problem wrt any parking or speeding tickets.

A few years ago I sold a car and it was clocked doing 90-odd on a local motorway the day after. Glad I had a copy of the V5 change of ownership sections...

V5 names the registered keeper, who is not necessarily the owner.

Also, I (we) had cast iron signed docs to say who sold (owned) what on a certain date. Certainly there was an element of trust from us both. It helped being both from Lancashire !

regards

Allen

Archived