Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect (5)

AndyStothert

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sonofagun and AliB,

When we have had warranty work or recalls done on our vehicles we have often been told that we 'don't get any paperwork' but upon a little foot stamping have normally been able to get a photo-copy of their warranty invoice that they are sending to Fiat.

The fact is, even though you are the owner, if you are not paying for the work, the contract is between the dealer and Fiat, and is confidential.

If you have been told that there is a database that dealers can check to see what work has been done to the vehicle you can legitimately ask to see that, and request a copy of it if it relates to a vehicle that you own.

Be a pain in the ass because it WILL help you to sell the vehicle in the future. I would bet that the camper dealers will be the first to enquire whether you have had the fix done!

Nick

Andy i've just read an article you wrote in the mmm sept. 2006 about your Nu Venture Elise,you were thinking about changing your van for the new fiat.But ended by saying quote (leaving things to settle for a while until the teething problems have been resolved might be advisable!Oh dear.

baz

I am very new to motor homing/camper vanning, but, after a fabulous experience of it in New Zealand, have taken the plunge! Fortunately, not being able to afford anything on an X250 base van, despite a very favourable experience with the previous model (2004 I think) Fiat in N.Z.,and, as you can see from my Nom-de-plume,, have purchased an Auto-sleepers Symbol of 2002 vintage.very recently.

My (tentative) question to all of you experienced 'posters' is:- Why have Auto-sleepers apparently ceased to manufacture the 'Duetto' model, on its Ford Transit base, when people like me, guided by the words of wisdom on this lengthy thread, will be avoiding all of their Peugot models like the plague during the next few years? Marquis Motorhomes claim to have the 'last twelve' Duettos currently for sale. I see from somewhere else that there may be a new 'motor home-friendly' Transit around the corner, which might explain it, I certainly hope so. Can anyone out there enlighten me further?

Hi Colin, and welcome.  What a very good question, many must have pondered along similar lines.  The answer must be money, but how, and between whom, it is passing, must be open to some conjecture.  What is the point of building motorhomes on a base vehicle that is mostly good, but has an acknowledged flaw the maker won't/can't fix, when there are alternatives that don't have the flaw?  You tell me!  Superstition, cowardice, stupidity, ignorance, promises promises, a complete lack of understanding of customers interests, because everyone else is?  Ah, that last one, I think.  Don't stand out from the crowd, especially if the said maker is making it worthwhile in some way.  Makes you think, though, doesn't it?

Thanks for that, Brian.

I, too, as an Auto-Sleepers fan, couldn't understand why it seems to be that nearly all of the volume panel van converters (even the classy German ones like Hymer & Burstner ) only seem to use Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen base vehicles. Auto-sleepers do at least still have the excellent Topaz on a V.W. chassis, even if I am not keen on that particular habitation layout -- but the answer does seem to lie somewhere among your conjectural possibilities!

All 'they like sheep'----?

Cheers,

Colin.

Hello fellow Colin,

yes, that could possibly explain it, but, looking on the back cover of this month's MMM, I see the Peugeot lion linked with the Auto-sleepers logo -- so maybe they are 'hand-in-glove' as Brian seems to infer. News of new Renault & V.W. vans might at least give converters (& and their customers) more choice than just the dreaded 'Juddernaughts' from Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen!

Symbol Owner - 2010-04-03 7:55 PM

Thanks for that, Brian.

I, too, as an Auto-Sleepers fan, couldn't understand why it seems to be that nearly all of the volume panel van converters (even the classy German ones like Hymer & Burstner ) only seem to use Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen base vehicles. Auto-sleepers do at least still have the excellent Topaz on a V.W. chassis, even if I am not keen on that particular habitation layout -- but the answer does seem to lie somewhere among your conjectural possibilities!

Cheers,

Colin.

Colin,

I think one explanation has been that the sevel vans have usually had a better internal shape/size for panel van converters to work with.

David

David,

I think you are right, but the fact that we might (perish the thought !) actually USE THEM ! and drive them on nasty unsuitable roads, like that terrible Lake District, and again have to REVERSE up a Hill (the autosleeper designer just Fainted !!) doesn't seem to enter their pretty little heads. Autosleeper's answer seems to be 'Change the upholstery fabric' Nasty Broken gearboxes, and dirty burned out clutches, who wants that on their nice new Brochure for 2010.

You WILL have an X250 whether you like it or NOT ! there! thats telling you. Mr. Grubby Customer. 8-) :'(

Guest Peter James
david lloyd - 2010-04-04 11:33 AM

Symbol Owner - 2010-04-03 7:55 PM

Thanks for that, Brian.

Cheers,

Colin.

Colin,

I think one explanation has been that the sevel vans have usually had a better internal shape/size for panel van converters to work with.

David

They do use other vans but not so many people buy them. Presumably because the VW is over £10,000 more than the Fiat for a smaller motorhome. (based on the windscreen prices of the vans currently in Brownhills Newark)

That is undoubtedly true, David, but it doesn't explain why nearly all the coachbuilts and A classes throughout Europe are also built on Sevels.

One might think that with this acknowledged problem the converters would at least have spread their favours around a bit more, in their own interests.  Both Renault and Ford have reasonably priced competitor vehicles, Mercedes do cost more, but Iveco looks to me technically better than the Sevels from the point of view of specification options, the VW Crafter is used by only a handful of German converters, and the T5 uniquely (I think) by Karmann.

So, it isn't as though Sevels are the only vans on the block. Just what is it that binds all the converters, principally, and so tightly, to Fiat?

Is it just cost, or is there some threat to withdraw co-operation with the converter if he spreads his favours more widely?  This adherence to this one brand seems to me so perverse and counter-intuitive, that I can only conceive of skulduggery in the background.  Paranoia?  Of course it is!  :-D

Archived