The delights of camping on the Cornish Riviera

libby

During the recent Euro summer of high food and fuel prices we decided to take the M/H on a jaunt to Cornwall. We dreamed sweet visions of emerald green hillsides dotted with prancing lambs, and genuine Cornish Ice Cream delicacies.

Delightful yellow sandy beaches dotted with laughing children, rushing to the smoothest square of sand with the sole aim of making it their own by balancing buckets of compressed sand one upon the other, to see who could make the highest castle, until the sea steadily advanced once more dissolving their works of art into the mighty ocean.

What really transpired was that we were approaching the vagaries of winter and the last week of standard site openings. Visions of warm summer evenings with rose tinted sunsets had transformed into grey, rain soaked, and heavy industrial looking skies.

Not to be deterred our visions of a sunny Cornwall were at least remembered from our youth when our own children were the ones who ran to that smooth square of sand, to disrupt it like an explosion had occurred beneath their buckets and spades.

We arrived during a period of horizontal rain, straight from the Atlantic, no doubt collected on its way from the USA waiting patiently until it could unleash its contents on Cornwall and us.

With all connections completed we settled in for the evening. As sleep time drew near there was no requirement to organise the ‘Lady of the Bedchamber’ to apply her well practised rocking motion to her elderly, and extremely grumpy relative.

The ‘Aire de Cornwall’ had imparted its own special feature with a force 9 gale, to wit, straight at us. All through the night one wondered if Michael Fish had passed on his mistaken theory to the weather centre and we were about to be upturned and deposited on the floor.

Fortunately we survived, it now being day 2 of our revisit to Cornwall. There was a speck of blue sky seen in the distance but so far it has eluded us and this peninsular.

Not so the gales which have varied from severe to not so severe. There are walkers negotiating the coastal path, hopefully they have mobile phones for, one could be lifted skyward today with the up currents to be deposited who knows where.

Message by Vodafone dongle

Couple of leasons to be learnt, it's best to be a pessimist like myself, I allways expect the worse, so a hint of sun makes my day. Cornwall like most of the west coast usualy gets the most rain dumped on it, but oftentimes the south and north coasts have different weather.

Hi,

I live in West Wales and we usually get the same weather as Cornwall (we face the same Atlanic Ocean !!) we have learned to take notice of the 'usually' accurate weather forecasts, when the 'Lows' are on a Westerly wind it's best to either 'Stay indoors' or Wrap up and go and watch the Waves Crashing over the Rocks onto 'that little bit of sand where the sandcastles were' in the Summer.

No fumes from a Motorway or a Factory here Though ! Ray

Guest JudgeMental

I appreciate that was an attempt at humour but what do you honestly expect, Any out of season break is full of risk. We had a lovely time last week on the south coast, lots of cycling, fish and chip on the beach etc......

Its simply a gamble and you need to study weather forecasts before you decide to go. Alicante yesterday was 26 deg :-S

I have just been out in the rain this morning cycling, no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing:-D

Ho weird?

We went to Perranporth from Friday to Tuesday with a stop at upton on seven on the way. We were greeted by golden sands children playing on the beach. I walked the dog, the waves were ace so the boards had to come out.

We left on Tuesday Pm with still great weather thinking how lucky we were. We also stayed on a haven site in case the kids got bored. 3 nights for just £45 including electric, swimming pool, entertainment the lot. Not our usual type of site but off season or end of season , pleasantly nice and not too busy.

Archived