Greece

hallii

I am off to Greece in March 2010, as this is the first time (apart from the odd package), I am looking for tips.

Is there a publication or POIs for wildcamping sites/aires?

What are the best sights to see?

Cost of living?

in fact anything that might be useful.

Geoff

PS I tried a search but it just didn't do anything.

Hi hallii, we spent 3 weeks touring around the Peloponese, seeing some wonderful scenery, we got the ferry from Ancona (best way to get to the ferry is put the coordinates in the sat nav) its a bit like spaghetti junction, the ferry to Patras was 24 hours we had electric hook ups on board the ferry and slept in the motorhome overnight very comfortable. On arriving in Patras we were glad to get through as quickly as possible there were so many immigrants trying to get in to the port and camps all along the sea front so I would not make any plans to linger in Patras. One of the important thing to remember that on Greek roads you use the hard shoulder to pull in for any traffic to pass it is the way they do it and if you forget they will soon let you know.

About 20 miles from Patras there is a friendly site at Kato Alissos (camping Kato) set in olive groves with lemon and orange trees the perfume in the air at that camp I will never forget it was beautiful. the site was kept very clean and had wfi for free.

Another good site was at Githio again set in a large Olive Grove and on a beautiful big beach.

In general we found all the sites we used to be more than adequate with good supply of electric and a lot had free wfi.

Have to say we were amazed how expensive we found Greece, after all the reasonable holidays we have had there in the past, were surprised at the cost of living there. We did not wild camp but camp sites were easily found. The MMM travel consultant for Greece Kevin has great knowledge and would be well worth getting in touch with him. Carol.

Would recommend Kato Alissos as a first and last night - very nice but you will need a good map or a good sat nav to find it in the dark! (keep the sea close on the right ( a bit like the Schlieffen Plan!))

You will find some fantastic beaches down the west coast along with a lot of poverty, litter and barking dogs... Things get a lot better at Pilos and Methoni

You must stay at Camping Koroni, Koroni and Castle View, Mystras

You must visit the Mani, Mystras and Epidaurus (and more)

Napfoli is fabulous, spend a few days there (and eat gyros in pitta)

Korinth canal is interesting

The North side fom Korinth to Patras is not in the same league as down south

There are some very nice gorges to drive through

Watch your van on the low olive trees

Enjoy!

Archived