Mains ( UK ) Operated LCD TV's

Bob Elswood

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this question has been discussed before, apologies if it has !

With the impending digital switch over throughout the UK I am contemplating buying a 'domestic type' LCD TV with built in free-view for use in the 'van'.

Is there likely to be a problem or potential problem with this.

I shall only be using it on 'mains hook up ' in the UK.

I have a directional Ariel that picks up signals OK for my digibox that I currently use in conjunction with my old CRT TV.

Your comments / advise would be most welcome.

Bob

Hello,

The TV will work OK but only if the signal from the aerial is good enough......

Your existing aerial may not work on some sites, especially in hilly areas.

The best option is to go for a Sat system.

There's plenty of info on the systems available from inexpensive suitcase types through to the expensive lock-on and track ones.

Good hunting.

Travelling Tyke - 2009-11-07 4:07 PM

Hello,

The TV will work OK but only if the signal from the aerial is good enough......

Your existing aerial may not work on some sites, especially in hilly areas.

The best option is to go for a Sat system.

There's plenty of info on the systems available from inexpensive suitcase types through to the expensive lock-on and track ones.

Good hunting.

Thanks for the reply, but my aim is to omit set top boxes and just take the TV. I understand that the ariel is all important and in some areas viewing will be difficult if not impossible, but it's always been that way!!

My main concern was possible fluctuation in voltage on camp sites and how a domestic LCD TV would cope with it !!!

Hello again Bob,

OK understand now.

You should be OK. The EU mains voltage now is 230V + or - 10V these days (I believe) so if the TV has a CE conformance No.( Which it should have) then it should work within this range. Yes there may be a voltage drop on some sites but it shouldn't be below the 220V level as the UK voltage is still set to 240V. I expect LCD TVs to have regulated low voltage power supplies that can handle the odd drop or surge and you shouldn't experience anything other than that or the site has a problem!

Travelling Tyke - 2009-11-07 4:57 PM

Hello again Bob,

OK understand now.

You should be OK. The EU mains voltage now is 230V + or - 10V these days (I believe) so if the TV has a CE conformance No.( Which it should have) then it should work within this range. Yes there may be a voltage drop on some sites but it shouldn't be below the 220V level as the UK voltage is still set to 240V. I expect LCD TVs to have regulated low voltage power supplies that can handle the odd drop or surge and you shouldn't experience anything other than that or the site has a problem!

Yep, Thanks for that Travelling Tyke!!

Unless there was a very good reason, I did not want to spend extortionate amounts of money on a TV that caters for all different voltages both mains and aux batt when I do not need it !!!

European voltage is now standardised at 230v although you will always get a slight variation but not enough to affect appliances. We have used our Samsung 19inch LCD TV all over the EU both via a satellite dish and a status aerial and have had not problems with voltage drop. One advantage with digital TV is that its the same system all over Europe, unlike analogue.

David

Problem with digital is that you have to have the arial in the right position to see if you've got a signal. But if you travel about you will have to keep re-tuning your t.v and how can you do that if you don't know if you have a good signal from the arial in the first place? Chicken and egg situation.

If it was me I'd go for satellite every time just get dish position right and that's it. I'd also get an inverter to run the lot off, a 150 watt should be plenty for 15" t.v.

peter - 2009-11-07 8:09 PM

Problem with digital is that you have to have the arial in the right position to see if you've got a signal. But if you travel about you will have to keep re-tuning your t.v and how can you do that if you don't know if you have a good signal from the arial in the first place? Chicken and egg situation.

If it was me I'd go for satellite every time just get dish position right and that's it. I'd also get an inverter to run the lot off, a 150 watt should be plenty for 15" t.v.

Thanks Peter, But I don't want all the 'gubbins' of satellite and inverters etc. !!

There is a signal strength meter built into most modern digital TV's so it is just a matter of turning the Ariel till 'er indoors' says "that's it"and I can lock the Ariel into position !!

PS.if I was to consider Satellite it would def. be a 'portable system' whereby you can avoid trees etc. !!!

I have seen too many fancy (expensive auto systems fixed on roofs of vans) rendered useless 'cos their pitch is under trees !!

Bob Elswood - 2009-11-07 9:54 PM

There is a signal strength meter built into most modern digital TV's so it is just a matter of turning the Ariel till 'er indoors' says "that's it"and I can lock the Ariel into position !!

If only it was that simple, many(most?) TV's have a meter that is tuned to a particlar channel, thats ok if you know what channels a particular transmitter is using so you can adjust meter, or if you can see other arials you can step throu channals, but if you are 'in middle of nowhere' and cannot see any others arial it can be a long process tuning to a channel doing 360 sweep then tuning to next channel, then one of these comes in handy.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221768

colin - 2009-11-08 2:25 PM

Bob Elswood - 2009-11-07 9:54 PM

If only it was that simple, many(most?) TV's have a meter that is tuned to a particlar channel, thats ok if you know what channels a particular transmitter is using so you can adjust meter, or if you can see other arials you can step throu channals, but if you are 'in middle of nowhere' and cannot see any others arial it can be a long process tuning to a channel doing 360 sweep then tuning to next channel, then one of these comes in handy.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221768

Yeah ! Thanks Colin !!

We are seldom in the UK 'in the middle of nowhere' !

Cos we use mains hook up most of the time !

But I will get one of the 'meters' that you have suggested!

I was more concerned that my new LCD TV would go 'POP' if there was a voltage fluctuation on a camp site hook up than aligning the ariel !

Hello,

The UK mains system is very good at doing what it should, providing a mains supply that, to quote the well known saying, "Is fit for purpose".

IMHO, these "additions" for removing excessive spikes are sold in a similar way to the Y2k con - made a lot of people wealthy tho'....... :-D

(I should add, this is comming from a "belts n braces" tyke by gum!) (lol)

Corky 8 - 2009-11-08 3:27 PM

Bob , anti surge 240v sockets are available in most supermarkets now you can buy a single or multi sockets with in built anti surge,just plug your tv into one if your worried, :-D

Yep thanks Corkey 8

I will get one of them also !!

PS. you have all been most helpful, so why do I see hostile remarks on this forum at times ??

I have to admit that it has put me off of asking certain questions in the past !!

Bob Elswood - 2009-11-08 5:04 PM

PS. you have all been most helpful, so why do I see hostile remarks on this forum at times ??

Lifes like that sometimes, when they are aimed at me I tend to leave it for a day just to get some perspective on life. Sometimes on rereading you see a second side to a post, I normaly can't be bothered to get in a 'war of words' on forums, I like to see the whites of someones eyes before I lambast them ;-)

Archived